Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 135110 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #1605 on: November 29, 2012, 12:30:12 pm »

Eh...not sure. I think leave it out for 22 and revisit it. I want to do *something* with it, since the base idea has good potential. But I'm not sure how that's going to go yet.

I think for the next game we'll add in the Organ Harvester and Mind Stealer as possibilities. The Tech role and the SS can wait until next time for me to make a decision on.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: November 29, 2012, 03:25:26 pm »

Way too overpowered. Cut out or at least nerf (to one maximum person per night) the goal learning (which basically makes your version a confirmable omnipotent cop who can hang anybody by the balls and has no loyalties to anyone) and you have a workable role.

Meph, so what are you going to do with the SS?
Better Idea: Only allow the goal learning after the SS is dead, so it can't communicate the results to the other players.

The idea was that the SS could still participate in the game even while dead, addressing the point that was made about the SS being able to win after being lynched but having no control over the outcome:
And, yeah, the current SS is just kind of boring. Functionally it ends up as a Survivor who may luck out and win even after getting lynched.

And I would also change the victory condition to requiring 100% of the winning players to be infected, encouraging the SS to use its abilities to sabotage the players it couldn't infect, and also changing it so that if the SS does win, everyone else loses.

This brings it more in line with the other third parties, who have poor odds to win, but are really just there to make the game more interesting anyway.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: November 25, 2013, 02:36:07 pm »

Been thinking about the Spore Spreader, and I have an interesting idea. It was, originally, my take on a Paranormal Jester. I wanted something thematic that also avoided the normal 'Ok, we lynched the Jester. Moving on...' that normally happens with them. Or having it be an automatic game-over for everyone else, which is just lame.

Unfortunately, the current version just isn't that interesting. It's a combination Survivor/Jester and doesn't add much to the game.

So...what if we made it an Arson/Lyncher/Jester hybrid?

Basically, have the SS visit someone each night to infect them with Spores. Once that is done, that Player will now release Spores upon being Lynched (but not killed in any other way). Those Spores will now infect a random non-Infected player (and not the SS, of course). The SS will always know who is infected. If the SS is lynched (but not killed in any other way), they will do the same.

The Win condition for the SS is to have the game end with only infected players left (of any faction). It counts as infected for those purposes, of course.

Thematically, I may make the Spores count as Tech (nanomachine spore hybrids or somesuch), so that the Tech Shield would protect against it.

This makes the SS specifically NOT a survivor, since they DO care very much who's alive at the end. They just don't care what Faction those players are part of. They also add some interesting uncertainty to the day phase, as well as some potentially interesting situations in which an Assassin-bot could be used.

What do you guys think?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: November 25, 2013, 03:54:31 pm »

Is the SS wincon exclusive to everybody else's?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: November 25, 2013, 03:56:06 pm »

Is the SS wincon exclusive to everybody else's?

I would say Yes, since the last thing anyone wants is to be taken over by alien spores. Also keeps them from being a Survivor.

Note that as long as at least one uninfected player is alive at the end of the game, the Spore Spreader loses.
Come play Mafia with us!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: November 25, 2013, 04:13:10 pm »

Will the "primed" players being lynched spread the spores obviously?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: November 25, 2013, 04:21:02 pm »

Will the "primed" players being lynched spread the spores obviously?

Yes. Otherwise I think it'd be a bit too powerful, since the Spore Spreader would pretty much be invisible until it was too late.
Come play Mafia with us!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: November 25, 2013, 04:25:04 pm »

Would a primed player know they were primed?

Do infected players win with the SS?  If so, what about dead ones?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: November 25, 2013, 04:36:51 pm »

Would a primed player know they were primed?

Do infected players win with the SS?  If so, what about dead ones?

No, primed players would not know that they are infected.

Which leads to the answer to your second question being No, since they can't do anything about being infected nor can they do anything to promote their new wincon. Like an SK, the only winner in a SS victory is the SS itself.

Note that the SS itself can be dead and still win, provided that all living players at the end of the game are infected.
Come play Mafia with us!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: November 25, 2013, 04:49:12 pm »

Ideas:
- Make a role changer, even if in a Tech item.
- Make a role that can make weaker Tech items and give them away.
- Make a role that can give weaker Psych powers and give them away.
- Similarly, another role that can make Psychic Shields or Anti-Tech Fields for players.
- Make a Dopp role with implanted human pheromones to redirect his target to himself.
- Make a Rogue Doppelganger that is from a previous swarm. Randomize it having either a Mafia-ally or Town alignment (either it wants to live among its kind again or it has found a way to live amongst humans peacefully). Give it a one-shot kill. Built-in Kook.
- Similarly, a Rogue Alien as an attribute. They are able to get a normal role, but inspect as Alien.
- A Thief role that steals Tech. Perhaps an Alien works here.
- A Reviver role that can survive a Night kill.

There's a few ideas for you to ponder over.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: November 25, 2013, 04:55:21 pm »

I've been pondering a few of those. I like the Rogue Dopp idea, that has some good potential.

Still trying to find a way to make a tech thief fun.
Come play Mafia with us!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: November 25, 2013, 11:34:46 pm »

Salesman
You have no idea why you're giving away this sort of tech to primitive life forms, but the boss said to do, so you better do it if you want to keep your job.
Race: Alien
Each Night, gives away one of either GalaxiCo. Brand Anti-Tech Fields or Anti-Psychic Fields (both types of Techs).
Starts with one of these as his own.
Wins when all remaining players have a Tech Field or Mind Shield.

Tech Thief
You're missing some parts to your space ship, and you're sick of this hellhole. Maybe you can convert some things to make it work?
Race: Alien
Each Night, visits a player, stealing a random Tech from them.
Starts with 1 small Tech.
Wins when he has 3 pieces of Tech.

Rogue Doppelganger
You are part of a previous band of Doppelgangers that were wiped out. You're not sure what happened, but those humans are vicious. You sensed a few nearby Doppelgangers, and wish to help them out. OR
Not all Doppelgangers are bloodthirsty. You found your way here after a bloody ordeal, hoping to life out your life in peace. Even if you have to kill a few wild mooses every once in a while.
Race: Doppelganger
Once during the game, kills a player.
Wins when Doppelgangers win OR Town wins, depending.

Attractive Doppelganger
You fused with a particularly virile human, allowing you to control their pheromones at will.
Race: Doppelganger
Each Night, may attract a player, forcing them to target you.

Add Psycho trait: Changes the players' Goal to Kill.

There you go.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: November 26, 2013, 08:53:44 pm »

The main issue with the Paranormal Rules as I see them is one of balance.  The game is often stacked pretty heavily against the town, due to two factors.
1. The numbers.  It tends to be that 1/4 of players are doppelgangers, but that becomes pretty difficult to win once you add in your 2-3 aliens who aren't interested in lynching them.
2. Doppelganger roles.  Specifically Advanced Doppelganger and Vigilante.  AD is extremely powerful and also hides its own flip.  I'd say that it should be changed so that it flips AD (or maybe missing) when converting, at minimum.  Vigilante is extremely strong in dopp hands and should probably be made town only, or alternatively shrink the dopp team by one if it exists.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: November 26, 2013, 09:10:16 pm »

The main issue with the Paranormal Rules as I see them is one of balance.  The game is often stacked pretty heavily against the town, due to two factors.
1. The numbers.  It tends to be that 1/4 of players are doppelgangers, but that becomes pretty difficult to win once you add in your 2-3 aliens who aren't interested in lynching them.
2. Doppelganger roles.  Specifically Advanced Doppelganger and Vigilante.  AD is extremely powerful and also hides its own flip.  I'd say that it should be changed so that it flips AD (or maybe missing) when converting, at minimum.  Vigilante is extremely strong in dopp hands and should probably be made town only, or alternatively shrink the dopp team by one if it exists.
Yeah, these are all good points. I would never give the scumteam a doublekill without a good reason.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 117