Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 135086 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #1695 on: February 03, 2017, 03:26:14 pm »

I feel like this might create a fissure in the Tech choices, though... but the idea itself has merits with other Aliens as well (Exterminator?) The Robot Buddy sounds pretty decent the more I think about it. And giving the MS some small choice on what roles they have would be nice for them. I've always felt Aliens get the short end of the stick a lot (which they should), so choices can certainly help them out and make them a bit more fun.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: February 03, 2017, 07:44:29 pm »

I was responding to Doll's suggestion, I even quoted them that time.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: February 03, 2017, 08:04:52 pm »

I was responding to Doll's suggestion, I even quoted them that time.

I see, I see, I kept reading it wrong. Sorry about that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: February 03, 2017, 08:43:57 pm »

Ok, so how does this sound?

Harvester
    Race: Alien
    Goal: Kill/Find
    Rules: The Harvester is collecting things for its own purposes. There are two different types of Harvesters. A Harvester may choose to Abduct another player during the Night Phase.
      Organ Harvester - The Abducted player is killed. The Harvester acts as a Doom Speaker, and is building an Abomination. After some # of nights (based on player count) the Abomination is released and performs a Night Kill attempt on every player.
      Mind Stealer - Takes the Role from the Abducted player and adds it to their stockpile. The abducted player reverts to a vanilla role for the rest of the game (Aliens will all become survivors). The Mind Stealer begins the game with 2 Roles available (1 Investigative, 1 Random). The Mind Stealer may choose to take on any Role in its stockpile for the next Day/Night phase and use that role instead of Abducting. If the MS chooses a Robot instead of Tech slots they may give the Robot a Role each day from their stockpile. The Robot can use that role in addition to any actions the MS takes, and the MS also begins with a Bodyguard Role of their choice in addition to the other two. The Mind Stealer needs to steal X 'points' worth of Roles to win. Points per role will be revealed to the MS during the role PM.   
    Tech: OH - 0 Slots    MS - 1 Robot or 2 Small Tech slots
    Victory: Organ Harvester wins when all other players are dead. The OH must be alive at the end of the game. The Mind Stealer wins if it has stolen enough points worth of Roles.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:59:28 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

doll

• Bay Watcher
  • hollow inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: February 03, 2017, 08:54:01 pm »

You didn't chance MS's wincon in the Victory section.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: February 03, 2017, 09:47:06 pm »

It seems like the Mind Stealer would just perform an arbitrary number of wipes and then leave? It's difficult to see how anyone else can plan around the role when they don't know how many points they need or what each role is worth. Also if your win condition is based entirely on the abduction action I can't imagine many situations where you'd choose not to use it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: February 03, 2017, 09:51:09 pm »

Well, you'd know exactly what you needed at the start of the game. The Role PM for a Mind Stealer would have how many points you need and how much each role is worth in it.

As for not Abducting...yeah, probably not often, but I wanted to make it an option just in case.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: February 06, 2017, 11:55:26 am »

I think I'll go with this version for now. We can always revisit it whenever it shows up in a game and we have more data to work on.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: February 15, 2017, 01:41:42 pm »

To answer a rules question PM'd to me:

We'd discussed a while back the issue with the flip of Advanced Doppelgangers. Based on my notes, one of the impetus for the expansion of Abduction type roles was to help deal with this.

Therefore, since I don't think it's been stated anywhere prior to now: Advanced Doppelgangers, upon using Consume & Replace, will have the original player disappear in the same manor as an Abduction.

This will serve to cover the AD's actions a little bit while still giving the town clues as to what might be going on. As the AD can only do this once, unlike the other abuduction roles, it will still be possible for town to figure it out once no more abduction happen (or were happening up to that point, should it be a late game switch).
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: February 19, 2017, 02:59:23 am »

So many rules questions this game. I suppose it makes sense, given how infrequently Paranormals have been run in the past few years.

Mephansteras (Question 1)
If during Night X
Observant Guard A protects Observant Guard B,
and Observant Guard B protects Villager C
and Scum D kills Villager C
Who will die, and who will be told that Scum D tried to kill someone?

Mephansteras (Question 2)
If during Night Y
Observant Guard A protects Observant Guard B,
Observant Guard B protects Observant Guard A,
and Scum C kills Observant Guard A
Who will die, and who will be told that Scum C tried to kill someone?

To answer question 1)
  A dies and informs B of the attacker's identity.

To answer question 2)
  B dies and informs A of the attacker's identity.

The logic chain here is as follows:
  Bodyguards (other than Wardens) basically redirect an attack onto themselves. The redirections happen before kills are resolved. Therefore only the final state of the attacks actually happens.

Question 2 is fairly straightforward. Question 1 is slightly more complicated, but ultimately just ends up shifting who was attacked, from a mechanics standpoint.
Come play Mafia with us!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: February 20, 2017, 10:12:56 am »

What happens if an Observant Guard protects an active War Vet?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: February 20, 2017, 02:27:43 pm »

He gets shot. And probably 'informs' the War Vet of who shot him in a horrified/sarcastic/betrayed sort of way.
Come play Mafia with us!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: February 20, 2017, 03:48:41 pm »

He gets shot. And probably 'informs' the War Vet of who shot him in a horrified/sarcastic/betrayed sort of way.
Yes!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: February 20, 2017, 07:24:18 pm »

Yes!
* 4maskwolf silently passes Wuba $20

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: February 20, 2017, 08:36:00 pm »

"I can't believe you've done this!"
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 117