Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 135087 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion - Talking about aliens
« Reply #780 on: October 11, 2009, 03:36:23 pm »

We don't really need telepath millers.  The telepath gets a false positive on the WV and Vig already.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: October 12, 2009, 01:03:54 pm »

I think the DoT being unfun is probably the best argument against it. So I think I'll remove it for next round.

I am willing to add in some other Cult roles to help differentiate them from the Dopps. Maybe a Charismatic Cultist who can flip someone's alignment to Cult once per game?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: October 12, 2009, 02:08:03 pm »

I think the DoT being unfun is probably the best argument against it. So I think I'll remove it for next round.

I am willing to add in some other Cult roles to help differentiate them from the Dopps. Maybe a Charismatic Cultist who can flip someone's alignment to Cult once per game?
Boom! Headshot!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion - Talking about cultists
« Reply #783 on: October 13, 2009, 07:46:50 pm »

Thought of an interesting Cult-only role:

Possessed: The Cultist has been possessed by a Demon. Any Psychic character who uses their ability on the Possessed Cultist is Stunned, rendering them a gibbering mess for the next 24 hours. They may not post in the thread or use any psychic abilities until a full Game Day and Night has passed. A Possessed cultist is immune to a Warlock's Hex.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: October 13, 2009, 07:50:38 pm »

Sounds good.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #785 on: October 13, 2009, 09:09:24 pm »

I'm hesitant about roles which do not allow people to talk... I at least would habe problems keeping things straight.

What about making them (honor code) run it through google tranlate, back and forth to Japanese until it stabilizes (or something like that).
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 13, 2009, 09:18:38 pm »

The MOD would have to do that me thinks.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 13, 2009, 09:29:18 pm »

I'm hesitant about roles which do not allow people to talk... I at least would habe problems keeping things straight.

It's effectively like being Abducted. Which it's also supposed to mimic, so that people can't quite be sure if someone who's missing but not role-flipped has been abducted or not.
Come play Mafia with us!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 13, 2009, 09:32:26 pm »

It's effectively like being Abducted. Which it's also supposed to mimic, so that people can't quite be sure if someone who's missing but not role-flipped has been abducted or not.

Meh.  I think the semi-comprehensibility would add a lot to the fun and add a different dimension to the game.  It seems like there's a bit too much redundancy.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 13, 2009, 10:06:27 pm »

One thing is true: since the person can't speak, they can't inform anyone of the Possession attack.

Thus it lets the cultists deal with them during the next night.

Not bad.  Not bad at all.
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #790 on: October 13, 2009, 10:49:39 pm »

WA does have a point, I wouldn't want this game to be a victim of feature creep.
I think your game is popular almost BECAUSE of feature creep. (Well, that's why I find it interesting.) And because it's popular therefore active.
child-strat
I'm confused.  Your scenario here could be applied to absolutely anybody, even a vanilla, no-role townie.  Admittedly, the child role might attract a certain amount of focus, but not nearly as much as some of the high level players (you, Chaoticjosh, etc.) do.
Except the child will, in fact, be able to lynch if it's child and mafia dopp alone on the last day. The negative vote makes endgames a bit different.

On scientist: Seems odd that an alien needs an alien for study. (If they're all one kind of alien, anyway- which is probably unlikely)
Actually, they can be idenitifed by the Agent.

Correct. Originally I had them identified by the Detective, but decided that unbalanced things too much. So the Agent figures out all Races now. Cultists just count as Human Cultist instead of Human. It's more a grouping distinction then anything else.
Or they're modified to better serve the Great Old Ones.

... Silent favor of cult
The Alien Scientist and any captives of his can all speak to one another. So, yes, you would know who else was a captive on the ship (although nothing else about them unless the Scientist chose to share).
Except you know they're the other factions (though if alien, this is less useful than for the main factions)

...why are they called Millers? The kook/goth in Para makes more sense.

Possession...eh. This just sounds like a more-aggressi'e mindshield- rather than crunching like the fluff. But, I'm not sure how to make a possession work other than making a half-player of someone (possessor OR possessee)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 14, 2009, 10:02:26 am »

The possessor sounds interesting.  Of course, the cult would need to take them out the next night to avoid them revealing the possessor's identity...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 14, 2009, 12:04:58 pm »

The possessed cultist and charismatic cultist have been added to the Proposed Roles section on page 1.

The Disciple of Truth has been removed from the role list.
Come play Mafia with us!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 14, 2009, 12:12:26 pm »

Oh, people will moan of feature creep, but let's face it, Paranormal Mafia has long passed the point where the amount of roles is sensible, and nevertheless is still fun and popular. I mean, for crying out loud, there is a role option to guard against flavour text. We just have to live with it.
I am in favour of the new roles, and also the removal of the DoT.
Long Live United Forenia!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 14, 2009, 02:11:30 pm »

Oh, people will moan of feature creep, but let's face it, Paranormal Mafia has long passed the point where the amount of roles is sensible, and nevertheless is still fun and popular. I mean, for crying out loud, there is a role option to guard against flavour text. We just have to live with it.
I am in favour of the new roles, and also the removal of the DoT.

To be fair, the flavor text one is because the flavor text is designed to tell you who/which faction executes a kill.

Still, I like the feature creep. It's a sort of everyone-has-powers approach to Mafia.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 117