Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 74

Author Topic: Dwarven king is an...  (Read 540623 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven king is an...
« Reply #360 on: August 26, 2009, 03:21:31 am »

I've been trying to regenerate the world and have it run several decades past where it stopped the first time to see what would have happened to Cacame naturally. But some point after I genned the world, I must have altered something in the raws, because regenning with all the same seeds doesn't work.
There is a saying: "When they made him, they broke the mold."
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 26, 2009, 07:19:42 am »

It's possible that history is running somewhat differently.  In that alternative gen, Cacame may never have been born, may be under another name, or may even still be with the ELVES.

For Cacame's sake, man, don't hit the Gen button!

*Slowmo dive* NOooooooooooooooooo
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 26, 2009, 08:28:00 am »

If we're gonna do a DF family tree, we need to do it right- as a PHP that lets you click on the names to see each person's history/kill screenshot.

Then we can make some good fiction from that.

Is there a way to get an entire worlds' legends as a text dump? I could probably make a program to parse it and generate an interactive thing.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 26, 2009, 09:21:25 am »

Unfortunately not, but that would be awesome. I think we're going to have to do it by hand.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 26, 2009, 02:16:34 pm »

Its a pity this is bugged - I'm referring to the original thread here - because this is actually a neat feature. Imagine a civ of dwarves being ruled over by a Galadriel-esque immortal Elf-Queen.

Pansie my ass, just wait till she reads your mind and then DEVOURS YOUR FLESH ELF STYLE...all while looking good, of course.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 26, 2009, 02:39:57 pm »

Urist McLateMandate: What a beautiful floral pattern on your dress...
Urist McElfQueen: Actually, that's the last dwarf who failed to meet a mandate.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

abcd_z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 26, 2009, 03:37:59 pm »

There is a saying: "When they made him, they broke the mold."

I read that as "When they made him, they broke the mod".
Which, you gotta admit, would make sense.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 26, 2009, 04:17:17 pm »

Pansie my ass, just wait till she reads your mind and then DEVOURS YOUR FLESH ELF STYLE...all while looking good, of course.

Of course, by joining the dwarves, she adopts their ethics code, which, unlike the elves', does not condone kill-eating until they have been properly butchered.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 26, 2009, 04:43:20 pm »

Mandate: Human Skin Dress!

Perhaps tissue layers are good for something...

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 26, 2009, 04:46:43 pm »

None of the historical figures or events matches up. The names are the same (at least to begin with), but they rapidly diverge from the fort I'm currently running. I'm scouring my raws, trying to figure out what the problem is, but I can't think of anything I might have modded between year 1 and year 2 of the fort (when I did a backup of the save and the objects folder, just in case).

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 26, 2009, 04:51:49 pm »

Until they have been properly butchered... DWARVES ARE JEWISH!

Except dwarves go one further than simple circumcision. They remove EVERYTHING.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 26, 2009, 05:25:52 pm »

Until they have been properly butchered... DWARVES ARE JEWISH!

Except dwarves go one further than simple circumcision. They remove EVERYTHING.

What.

None of the historical figures or events matches up. The names are the same (at least to begin with), but they rapidly diverge from the fort I'm currently running. I'm scouring my raws, trying to figure out what the problem is, but I can't think of anything I might have modded between year 1 and year 2 of the fort (when I did a backup of the save and the objects folder, just in case).

Maybe Dwarf Fortress really works that way - maybe a given seed won't generate the same history over and over again because world generation itself has a random factor. (Who gets born, who dies, who kills who, who wins the war).
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 26, 2009, 06:03:53 pm »

Let's not degrade others ethnically on these forums, please. Unless, of course, they happen to be elves.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 26, 2009, 06:24:36 pm »

Not true, Vester. The only randomly generated number is the seed.

I've heard of the butterfly effect occurring from things as small as changing a stone type from vein to cluster, so it's probably something really small you changed.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 26, 2009, 06:31:43 pm »

Not true, Vester. The only randomly generated number is the seed.

I've heard of the butterfly effect occurring from things as small as changing a stone type from vein to cluster, so it's probably something really small you changed.

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant. The seed starts you off with a world, but in between, something happens.

(So if you gen a world and one civ wins a war over another, and you gen it again with the same seed, will the same outcome happen? I am curious to know.)
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 74