How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270262 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d14
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2009, 06:16:30 pm »

Just got the full Ubuntu for the heck of it, will try DF out on it. It seems nice

Okay, BIG TROUBLE! with ubuntu. Exactly which file should I run, and with which program?
From the first post:
For users on Linux and OS X, run the df script, don't run the dwarfort.exe executable directly.

Run the file called df.  Just double click it.  If you have all the requirements, it will work.  If you don't, open the terminal and "cd" to the folder you put it in, then run ./df and it will tell you what you don't have.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

soupcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2009, 06:34:22 pm »

Just got the full Ubuntu for the heck of it, will try DF out on it. It seems nice

Okay, BIG TROUBLE! with ubuntu. Exactly which file should I run, and with which program?
It says, right in the first post, to run the "df" file.

At this point, it should work to simply double-click on it. But don't quote me on this; I don't run the sort of system where I can.

This makes me curious. What do you run? You seem like a tiling WM person to me.

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2009, 06:38:39 pm »

No issues on Vista or Win7 (with the exception of the already-known 'freeze-on-high-load' bug.) here.

LOVE the zoom/scrolling. Now, if we could only get the remote-dorf code into the mainline so that I can run DF on my computer at home and hamachi into it from work... Which works just fine in D13. :P

Excuse my foul language, but....

WAT

Anyway, d14 has given me the satisfaction of a working keyboard and great FPS, something d12, d13, and my girlfriend could never do. I am content.
Sorry... I was attempting to cross the streams. Should have known bad things would happen.

See this thread for more information on what I call 'Remote Dwarf' at this thread: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39639.0

And the service I was referring to was www.hamachi.com is a 'virtual' VPN service that lets you connect directly to any computer from any other computer over the internet securely and transparently.
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2009, 06:43:29 pm »

This makes me curious. What do you run? You seem like a tiling WM person to me.
XMonad, reasonably reconfigured. I don't believe I have any graphical file managers installed, but if I did, I wouldn't know how to start them. :P

As you'll find out if you hang around me long enough, I'm a big Haskell fan.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2009, 09:08:31 pm »

Speaking of macro's calling other macros...
As a test, I had two macro's that did nothing but call each other, this led to Fun.  I had to manually kill the process before it ate all my memory.
I thought about covering the call stack with a limit, but never reached a decision.  A tight loop like you described never even gets back to the main input routines, and I can't let that sort of thing go.  Added to bug list.

I will probably make the limit something high enough that it shouldn't get in the way of any normal usage, a few thousand seems like it should be enough that no one will ever trip over it unless they have a bad macro.

Heh, I'll give it a try.  I've always used "shift+" and "shift-" as a keyboard binding (specifically, I use it for the "Page secondary selector up" and "Page secondary selector down").  By "shift +" and "shift -" I mean 'holding down shift and pressing 'plus' or 'minus' on the number pad."  For the last few d* releases, this hasn't worked. 

This is despite the fact that it appears you use these settings in the key binding menu.  Using the "Add scan key" option, I can set it to "Shift+Add" or "Shift+Minus."  It just doesn't work.
I think I get what your after, I will look into it.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2009, 12:08:21 am »

I will probably make the limit something high enough that it shouldn't get in the way of any normal usage, a few thousand seems like it should be enough that no one will ever trip over it unless they have a bad macro.

Well without conditionals, normal usage isn't going to be that high.  I shudder to picture a macro setup that goes more than twenty levels deep, and something that reached 200 would belong in the HFS. 

Now if conditionals are in the works, by all means set it to be a few thousand as I can easily see using a recursive algorithm to do things like scan across the map for exposed gems and mark them for digging. 

Yes, I would give my this elf's right arm for the ability to do something like:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

waldoknoesen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2009, 12:30:51 am »

Okay, Ubuntu 9.04 is up and running. Fetching the required LibSDL and then trying again. If it doesn't work ill try using WINE.
Must say though, Ubuntu is quite nice running alongside XP.
Waldo having a rampage @ goblin site

Qjet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2009, 12:47:19 am »

XMonad, reasonably reconfigured. I don't believe I have any graphical file managers installed, but if I did, I wouldn't know how to start them. :P

As you'll find out if you hang around me long enough, I'm a big Haskell fan.
I'm starting to like you.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2009, 01:15:00 am »

Where is the script that the OP talked about in order to run the OS X release?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Spiral42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2009, 03:47:52 am »

40d14 is running well, and I'm even able to play adventure mode again. However, I get a strange bug upon dying in adv: things start to run in real-time (so it hasn't frozen) but the Esc key either has hardly any chance of working or lags magnificently, so the menu appears (if at all) after a couple of minutes... by which time my impatience guarantees I've mashed it a few more times, and the presses have been stacked, so it often returns to the game view and I have to start all over (but that's my fault). Not sure if adv. mode is a priority in this build, but thought I'd leave a note of it.
Add me on Steam: ColdSpiral

Benvoli0

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2009, 06:28:52 am »

...the Esc key either has hardly any chance of working or lags magnificently, so the menu appears (if at all) after a couple of minutes...
I have experienced the same thing, but thought it was because I ran DF on OsX.
@Spiral: Were you still able to toggle Full screen mode? For me, the entire program "froze", although goblins and flies still moved.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 06:31:38 am by Benvoli0 »

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2009, 06:46:17 am »

Trying to compile on linux (ubuntu 64bit). After huge amount of 32bit libs and other dependencies compiled ok. Now it says:
Code: [Select]
./dwarfort.exe: symbol lookup error: ./libs/libgraphics.so: undefined symbol: __stack_chk_fail_local ???

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2009, 07:02:31 am »

Googling for the symbol it couldn't find immediately found a solution for me. You should try it.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

vins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2009, 07:06:02 am »

...the Esc key either has hardly any chance of working or lags magnificently, so the menu appears (if at all) after a couple of minutes...
I have experienced the same thing, but thought it was because I ran DF on OsX.
@Spiral: Were you still able to toggle Full screen mode? For me, the entire program "froze", although goblins and flies still moved.

I have the same bug and F11 doesn't work too. But you can change the size of the window.

Hellcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2009, 08:06:18 am »

Any word on memory locations for dwarf manager/therapist?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 64