How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270334 times)

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d14
« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2009, 10:53:03 pm »

64 bit processors are not expensive at all these days. The only real monkey wrench is that since most programs you'll ever use are compiled in 32 bit mode, they can be buggy on 64 bit operating systems, thus rendering such OSes very unsatisfactory.

I've been running 64bit for a few years now and have actually noticed the opposite. Even though, theoretically, it shouldn't be any different given that they're run with the same 32bit dlls in 64bit as they actually use in the 32bit OS.

Im guessing that the buggy code you're talking about is probably specific to some programs that were probably doing something wrong in the first place.

waldoknoesen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2009, 11:19:16 pm »

Just found that when designating an area to mine with the mouse, its works fine but its not "on target". For me it designates to the left of where I click. It might just be the window resizing puting it off.
Waldo having a rampage @ goblin site

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2009, 04:36:01 am »

Yep. Fixed for d15.. but not yet.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

crayun

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2009, 09:24:41 am »

First post  ;D.

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but when you're using the search method for a place to embrak, the screen won't refresh itself ( this was already mentioned ) but wen you zoom in or out the screen refreshes.

* sorry if my english isn't so good, i'm from belgium :) *

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2009, 09:54:37 am »

Zooming forces two full screen refreshes, which happens to tickle the bug such that it displays properly, that once.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2009, 11:42:11 am »

Okay, how about this: my screen's dimensions are not multiples of 16.  1440 is, but not 900 (4 from 896).  After only a few zooms back and forth, returning to "100%" where the tiles actually are 16x16 onscreen, the dimensions are very slightly off and all the tiles are a little blurred due to interpolation.  Which really sucks because my tileset (see below *shameless plug*) has a number of details that are rather fine and get very muddied.

At other zoom levels, I know that is just how it works, but at 100% it would be nice if it assumes 1:1 again.  Furthermore, some clamping for zoom levels that are powers of 2 would reduce artifacts as well.

Other than that and the refresh thing that everyone has mentioned, very nice.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2009, 12:13:14 pm »

Using the wheel to go back to 1:1 currently doesn't work. Use F12 instead.

(It will, later, but F12 would still be handy)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2009, 04:15:06 pm »

Dwarf fortress mode is running fast, almost two fast for my tastes.  Also experience a bit of lag after dying in adventure mode, sometimes hitting esc does nothing.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Sepis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2009, 06:15:11 pm »

40d14 on XP64 (latest service pack/patches), an old save, with only Mayday's changes to the raws copied over for save compatibility:
The game has horrible slowdown outside, but more perplexingly, stops screen updating when I try to move the screen when it reaches a central stairwell with hatch covers next to a bottomless pit.  If I hit escape, and return to game, the screen recenters where it should be, but won't refresh unless I do that.  Moving the map focus anywhere else on the map -except- for the stairwell is laggy, but functional.  I think it's more the chasm than the stairwell, but can't really tell for sure.

If I actually edit the init (and no, I didn't copy the old init over, I always manually update it), input lag becomes too great to even launch and load a save, much less play.  And all I am doing is pointing the init at the tileset, not changing anything like partial print, etc.

So far the quickest and most stable for me has been d12, and I am looking forward to d15 because these speed and functionality improvements you guys keep offering are awesome.  Keep up the good work!

e: after another attempt at adding in elements one at a time, I think that I can say the severe refresh lag hits only if I try and bring the bottomless pit onto screen.  I've got tiles working now as expected (no performance difference with or without, using this same save).
e2: trying to worldgen with this current setup was a horrific idea, even at realtime priority on my phenom 2.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 06:40:11 pm by Sepis »

snow-templar

• Bay Watcher
  • I just write the scripts for the kiddies.
    • View Profile
    • If I ever have a site, it will most likely be here...
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2009, 06:24:40 pm »

I just downloaded it and tried it on my Windows box.  Noticing something really odd with the map generation.  I am making a map with custom params which are actually no different than the lerge preset except I raised min volcanoism to 20.  Map generation started like normal and then once it found a map and started generating lakes, it got stuck.  I then hit enter after giving it enough time where whatever it was doing should be done.  Instead of aborting, it updated the screen to show the map rendered completely and if I would want to continue.  It hit c and it gets stuck again.  This one I can wait out and switch focus to another window like Firefox and then come back and it will update the screen fine.  I then hit enter as prompted to do and I do make it successfully back to the main screen with the option to play the current map.  I am going to start a Dwarf mode game and see what happens.  Back in 40d13, it got stuck on me in the designations menu.  When I was trying to map out my initial dig of the fortress.

[update] The search function for embark seems to be stuck at 1/<map size> until it is finished.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 06:32:00 pm by snow-templar »
#!/usr/bin/ruby -w
print 'carp... F'
loop { print 'U' }

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2009, 07:03:06 pm »

The screen refresh bug is know, yep, and fixed for d15.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2009, 09:14:12 pm »

Oh, well FINE, fix things and stuff for all I care!  Just make the game 2x as fast!  Add zooming and transparent textures!

;D

It that case, no complaints so far.  Looking rad.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2009, 04:46:05 am »

I'm not sure if it's my modding (A few custom creatures and I've changed most of the stones to appear more often), but Furniture stockpiles are no longer being used at all since d14.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2009, 07:30:57 am »

Are there any translucent tilesets? Even screenshot will do, i want to see it.
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2009, 08:02:36 am »

I'm not sure if it's my modding (A few custom creatures and I've changed most of the stones to appear more often), but Furniture stockpiles are no longer being used at all since d14.

It's probably your modding.  Did you generate a new world after implementing your mods?  Is furniture hauling turned on in Orders?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 64