How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270223 times)

Pato2747

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d14
« Reply #210 on: August 27, 2009, 02:59:46 pm »

I'm sorry I bring back a common issue, but even after updating my GPU drivers I still suffer the same problem (d14 doesn't even start). Is there any way to solve this after the "update drivers" solution has been tried?
Download and run glView, paste its output list of extensions supported here - make sure opengl actually works, in other words.

Sure. Here it is.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mind you, the rendering tests in glView work perfectly.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 03:02:10 pm by Pato2747 »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 27, 2009, 03:09:35 pm »

OpenGL should work, I suppose.

Can you expand on "it doesn't start"? Does the window show up at all? Are there any error messages?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Pato2747

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 27, 2009, 04:21:20 pm »

The process *is* there - It shows up on the task manager and it remains there, chugging a fixed amount of ram and a slightly variating amount of CPU % (between 40 and 49), and only leaves when I force it to close. Besides of that there is no evidence that dwarf fortress is running at all: No window, no "Start the game in fullscreen" prompt, and no error messages.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2009, 02:50:51 am »

Well, that's..

If the window isn't showing up, then it's presumably failing prior to SDL initialization.

Not a whole lot happens that early, really. I can probably assume it's not a problem with SDL.. hm, if you turn on sound in init.txt, do you hear any?

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #214 on: August 28, 2009, 06:04:09 am »

Baughn, sorry to bother you with such trivialities, but I'm finding the zoom stuff somewhat unwieldy.
First off, I'm using a 64px tileset on a 1280x1024 resolution, so I'd expect the initial tilegrid size to be 80:64. That is not the case, the tiles are instead squashed to a rectangular shape (which means there are less than 64 tiles vertically).
Each time I run the game I have to scroll the tilegrid to set it to an appropriate size. I presume this has something to do with the game trying to make the initial menu fill the whole screen (it doesn't matter if I enable blackspace or not).

Then, after I start zooming, I have the following 2 requests:
-the zooming happens in way to small increments. I'd suggest using a x2, x4, x8 (and so on) zoom from the initial display which covers all the tiles. So with a 64px tileset, the game should start at x0.25 and then with two scroll moves you'd get to 100%
-If that is not possible, could you please add a key that resets the view back to full (80 tiles horizontally)?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 06:08:06 am by Mike Mayday »
<3

Lando242

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 28, 2009, 08:13:55 am »

-If that is not possible, could you please add a key that resets the view back to full (80 tiles horizontally)?

F12 iirc.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #216 on: August 28, 2009, 08:23:00 am »

F12 only resets the tilegrid size, not the zoom level.
<3

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2009, 08:41:02 am »

Other way around. F12 specifically resets the tile zoom to 1:1, then recalculates the gridsize based on that.

The whole zoom-tile calculation is a bit iffy at the moment; I've got a better system lined up for d15, so don't worry.

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 28, 2009, 08:57:38 am »

I like the new zoom feature, it's fancy shmancy in the pantsy.

However, I am missing the nice crisp un-stretched graphics I would get with the 800x600 window size with the 800x600 curses font.  With a GRIDX=80  GRIDY=25  (I think) the graphics were nice and big and clear, and reminded me of SCREEN 8 in DOS (QBasic anyone?).  With the latest version the squares are pretty small and zooming gives quite a bit of stretching artifacts.

Anyway if someone has steps for config to get that view back, I'd appreciate it!  :)
Don't zoom, or if you already have, press F12 to reset the zoom to 1:1.

Proceed to increase the window size until the graphics are crisp. For the 10x12 font, 800x300 will do. (The minimum grid size is 80x25. Hold on, why is it called "800x600"?)

Make sure you keep BLACK_SPACE on, or it'll /never/ be crisp.

I know this is a little late I've been out of the game.  But I fixed my problem by resizing the 800x600 curses bitmap to double the height.  My window looks exactly as it did before now, thanks a bunch this runs nicely for me!
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #219 on: August 28, 2009, 09:01:01 am »

The whole zoom-tile calculation is a bit iffy at the moment; I've got a better system lined up for d15, so don't worry.

Good to know, thanks.
Anyway, the most important thing for me is that tiles on a square tileset should remain square no matter what.
<3

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 28, 2009, 09:51:06 am »

Good to know, thanks.
Anyway, the most important thing for me is that tiles on a square tileset should remain square no matter what.
Hopefully someone's calculating an aspect ratio on tile load and conforming to that during resize...  ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 28, 2009, 11:09:53 am »

I used to maintain the aspect ratio. Then I broke it in some rewrite or other, and got too busy solving actual bugs to care. :P

It's supposed to work, yeah, but it's basically a cosmetic flaw. Well, I'm pretty sure I'm done with all the non-cosmetic bugs now, so...

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #222 on: August 28, 2009, 11:42:00 am »

I used to maintain the aspect ratio. Then I broke it in some rewrite or other, and got too busy solving actual bugs to care. :P

It's supposed to work, yeah, but it's basically a cosmetic flaw. Well, I'm pretty sure I'm done with all the non-cosmetic bugs now, so...

*hugs*
<3

Pato2747

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 28, 2009, 07:33:48 pm »

Well, that's..

If the window isn't showing up, then it's presumably failing prior to SDL initialization.

Not a whole lot happens that early, really. I can probably assume it's not a problem with SDL.. hm, if you turn on sound in init.txt, do you hear any?

Sound is on, can't hear anything.

QuinRiva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 28, 2009, 10:42:19 pm »

Baughn, it's seems that I am also having the same problem as Pato2747.  The new 190.62 drivers means that DF works on my Windows7 64bit system, but I am still unable to get any 40dxx versions to run on my XP system.

As with Pato, the game starts but then nothing. No messages, windows etc. Just 50% CPU usage.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 64