How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270247 times)

waldoknoesen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d14
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2009, 08:12:22 am »

wubi works great. it is Ubuntu and installs in windows. no need to have a separate disk/partition.

http://wubi-installer.org/

you still need to reboot tho. :)

Thanx, Ill give it a try. Just need to backup everything first.
Waldo having a rampage @ goblin site

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2009, 08:50:00 am »

No issues on Vista or Win7 (with the exception of the already-known 'freeze-on-high-load' bug.) here.

LOVE the zoom/scrolling. Now, if we could only get the remote-dorf code into the mainline so that I can run DF on my computer at home and hamachi into it from work... Which works just fine in D13. :P
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2009, 09:00:00 am »

I like the new zoom feature, it's fancy shmancy in the pantsy.

However, I am missing the nice crisp un-stretched graphics I would get with the 800x600 window size with the 800x600 curses font.  With a GRIDX=80  GRIDY=25  (I think) the graphics were nice and big and clear, and reminded me of SCREEN 8 in DOS (QBasic anyone?).  With the latest version the squares are pretty small and zooming gives quite a bit of stretching artifacts.

Anyway if someone has steps for config to get that view back, I'd appreciate it!  :)
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

NiknudStunod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2009, 09:24:16 am »

Not sure if this was posted or not but if you keep scrolling your mouse wheel for zoom out during the world gen and you do it fast enough it seems to gen like normal instead of freezing.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2009, 10:02:02 am »

I like the new zoom feature, it's fancy shmancy in the pantsy.

However, I am missing the nice crisp un-stretched graphics I would get with the 800x600 window size with the 800x600 curses font.  With a GRIDX=80  GRIDY=25  (I think) the graphics were nice and big and clear, and reminded me of SCREEN 8 in DOS (QBasic anyone?).  With the latest version the squares are pretty small and zooming gives quite a bit of stretching artifacts.

Anyway if someone has steps for config to get that view back, I'd appreciate it!  :)
Don't zoom, or if you already have, press F12 to reset the zoom to 1:1.

Proceed to increase the window size until the graphics are crisp. For the 10x12 font, 800x300 will do. (The minimum grid size is 80x25. Hold on, why is it called "800x600"?)

Make sure you keep BLACK_SPACE on, or it'll /never/ be crisp.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2009, 02:57:59 pm »

Two, the keyboard shortcuts still aren't totally working.  In particular, I've used "shift +" and "shift -" forever, but even though it looks like you can set in the binding menu using "Add Scan Key," it doesn't actually work.
I think you will have to be more specific about what you think is wrong.  I somewhat baffled as to your meaning.
Heh, I'll give it a try.  I've always used "shift+" and "shift-" as a keyboard binding (specifically, I use it for the "Page secondary selector up" and "Page secondary selector down").  By "shift +" and "shift -" I mean 'holding down shift and pressing 'plus' or 'minus' on the number pad."  For the last few d* releases, this hasn't worked. 

This is despite the fact that it appears you use these settings in the key binding menu.  Using the "Add scan key" option, I can set it to "Shift+Add" or "Shift+Minus."  It just doesn't work.

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2009, 03:21:07 pm »

On Windows 7 (64bit) on my main computer it crashes with an OpenGL error telling me to update my drivers (I have the most current drivers).

Note that this has been a consistent problem with all 40dx releases.  I had no trouble with 40d.

40dx releases have all worked fine under my Ubuntu system (main computer).

Sounds like you're using the latest Microsoft drivers, as they don't support OpenGL (above 1 or so) for obvious reasons.

Get the drivers from nVidia or ATI depending on your card if this is the case.

Thanx, Ill give it a try. Just need to backup everything first.

Unless Wubi has changed, you wont need to do a backup as it installs Ubuntu into a virtual hdd file. Which it loads up as a virtual hdd when you select to boot Ubuntu. Your existing install will remain intact, the only disadvantage is there is a decrease in loading times because it isn't a real HDD.

When you run it, it will tell you most of this.

Shardok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2009, 03:27:32 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I get that error when trying to load a saved game. I'm running it just like I was with 40d13, using Frame_Buffer, windows XP w/sp3 32 bit, a 128 mb PCI slot video card (Nvidia GeForce 6200), Intel celeron 2.5 ghz processor, and a gig of RAM. Only actual difference is that I'm using the Dig Deeper mod.

Just tested exact same setup in d13 and got the same error, that I never got before... I doubt it's the Dig Deeper mod, but that's the only real difference. Any ideas on how it could be this mod that could cause the problem?

Nevermind all this, I think somehow the save got corrupted as it gives this error on all 40d versions of DF I've tried (d13, d14, and 40d) with that saved file.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 03:37:11 pm by Shardok »

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2009, 04:06:28 pm »

"You are deceased. Press Escape to finish"
I AM. WHY IS IT NOT BRINGING UP MY MENU?!
Ah, the mousing over was causing the game to be displayed, and I hadn't realised...

Also, mousing over the window blacks it out.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 04:11:42 pm by Dr. Melon »

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2009, 04:38:10 pm »

It will bring up the menu, sometimes it just takes a very long time. (As in, get up and get something to drink sorta time.) It eventually shows up for me.

When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

waldoknoesen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2009, 04:48:15 pm »

Just got the full Ubuntu for the heck of it, will try DF out on it. It seems nice

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2009, 05:08:26 pm »

Input lag is still a problem. I'll happily admit this, as I'm not responsible for it.

It may be worth noting that pressing the "close-window" widget on the title bar will have the same effect as pressing esc, but I don't know how much this'll help. :P

waldoknoesen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2009, 05:35:58 pm »

Just got the full Ubuntu for the heck of it, will try DF out on it. It seems nice

Okay, BIG TROUBLE! with ubuntu. Exactly which file should I run, and with which program?

soupcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2009, 05:40:45 pm »

No issues on Vista or Win7 (with the exception of the already-known 'freeze-on-high-load' bug.) here.

LOVE the zoom/scrolling. Now, if we could only get the remote-dorf code into the mainline so that I can run DF on my computer at home and hamachi into it from work... Which works just fine in D13. :P

Excuse my foul language, but....

WAT

Anyway, d14 has given me the satisfaction of a working keyboard and great FPS, something d12, d13, and my girlfriend could never do. I am content.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2009, 06:16:01 pm »

Okay, BIG TROUBLE! with ubuntu. Exactly which file should I run, and with which program?
It says, right in the first post, to run the "df" file.

At this point, it should work to simply double-click on it. But don't quote me on this; I don't run the sort of system where I can.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 64