How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270346 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16
« Reply #345 on: September 01, 2009, 01:25:19 am »

I don't know if this is something that sprang up in an earlier version, since I've mostly been playing d12.  I downloaded d16 today to try it, and after copying over the init.txt by hand (as in, changing the relevant things, not just copying one file onto another), and one of the things I copied over from d12 was changing SINGLE_BUFFER:NO to :YES -- though it's not even mentioned in the descriptive text above it, so should it even be there?  Anyway, I then tried running d16, and the graphics became EXTREMELY laggy -- 13 seconds or so per graphical update, even though the FPS meter wasn't indicating this.  I could still change selections on the menu (as in, move to "quit"), but this wasn't shown anywhere near right away.

Changing back to SINGLE_BUFFER:NO or removing it from the init.txt entirely seemed to fix this for me, though I'm still wondering why that happened, and why it didn't happen in d12.
SINGLE_BUFFER was broken on d12 - it was always off. That it apparently isn't useful to you is a different matter; it rarely is, except for a few rare people.
Edit: I second this question:
Also,
- 800x600 tileset looking squashed. Fixed by having toady double its height. 1:1 aspect ratio is the only one supported now, and probably always.

Why'd you do that?

I had to copy the 800x600 tileset from d12, because that doubled tileset was just HUGE, and I don't see what was gained from making it larger.
Because it's the 800x600 tileset, not the 800x300 tileset. You may be right that it looks better as an 800x300 tileset, but that is not what it says on the box.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 01, 2009, 02:19:42 am »

I just downloaded 40d16 to test it out. I changed my max FPS to 500, and the beginning movie ran at 250 fps instead of the 100 it's supposed to run at :o

Furthermore, in-game it ran slightly over 600 fps rather then 500 where it was supposed to be capped.

the function keys also didn't seem to work, at least in fullscreen mode.

I'm running it mostly as-is, the only changes I made in the ini was the fps cap to 500, FPS:YES, turned weather and temp off, and set the popcap to 50.

I apologize if this has been reported before, I checked the 10 or so most recent pages and skimmed the rest and didn't notice anything about it.

Edit: Ok, the function keys was my keyboard not DF. The FPS issue remains, though.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 02:11:00 am by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 01, 2009, 02:48:31 am »

Because it's the 800x600 tileset, not the 800x300 tileset. You may be right that it looks better as an 800x300 tileset, but that is not what it says on the box.

*compares the images*  Huh.  So it is.  Perhaps it should have just been renamed to that instead of being blown up?

ventuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 01, 2009, 02:59:15 am »

Using 40d16, it doesn't let me use ESC on death in adventure mode.

Malor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 01, 2009, 03:28:27 am »

third or fourth edit: ok, pictures fixed.  They're really big, but this bbcode version doesn't seem to accept scaling information in the img tag, and my Firefox seems to be displaying them way larger than they actually are (2560x1600).  So I'd suggest saving them locally and looking at them -- they're a pain in the forum.  Sorry!

I'm seeing different behavior on Vista with 15 and 16 than I did with 14 for windowed zooming; it doesn't work very well for me anymore.

I have a giant monitor, 30", running at 2560x1600.  In release 14, I would run in windowed mode, simply scroll the standard DF screen at the beginning to near full-size, and then back it off a bit.  This is kind of like running fullscreen, in that the letters are very large, but I get the full widescreen, and I can back off the zoom when I need to see more stuff. 

In 15 and 16, I don't seem to be able to zoom UP, only DOWN.  It scrolls larger like maybe one click, and then starts moving the image progressively toward the center of the screen without changing the size further.   When I'm running DF itself, full zoom out looks like it did on 14, and then as I zoom in it looks normal until, I think, it hits the point that it would start to magnify letters.  At that point, the screen steadily shrinks, as it realizes that it doesn't have as much room to display data anymore.  The actual letters don't get bigger, the game just THINKS they get bigger, so I end up with a tiny viewport in the center of my screen, surrounded by blackness. 

Here's an image of what it should look like, and how .14 works:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's an image of what it looks like, fully zoomed in, with 15 or 16:

Aha!  I thought.  Maybe I should just be using that other type of scrolling he keeps referring to.  So I tried hitting control-F10 and zooming all the way in, and voila:

Help?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 03:45:49 am by Malor »

Topace3k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 01, 2009, 03:39:02 am »

Using 40d16, it doesn't let me use ESC on death in adventure mode.

Getting the same problem here.

I like the zoom feature, though.  Keep up the good work.

Bel-Shamharoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 01, 2009, 09:05:56 am »

Upcoming features :

Corhal1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 01, 2009, 09:59:59 am »

Going into legends mode seems to get stuck quite often. When its stuck DF takes up quite a bit of the CPU usage but doesn't seem to do anything. If I hit the X to close it it'll eventually go into the menu and I can return to the game, at which point it starts loading the historical sites/figures etc and goes into legends without a problem.

that's running the D16 linux version

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 01, 2009, 11:38:58 am »

I'm absolutely loving this version.  The zoom feature is amazing - it really gives insight into the dwarves' world, zooming out until they're just dots and seeing several mountains going up miles in every direction.

I tried the export map option, it works fine. 

I noticed that one can't zoom in past  a certain point.  It just leaves the same size tiles in a smaller area in the middle of the screen.  But, genius that I am, I didn't realise that that's a bug until someone else pointed it out. 

Occasionally, it blacks out un-updated portions of the screen, such as in the embark location menu, but changing the window size seems to fix the issue.

Speedwise, it's awesome.  Using partial print I can reach 200 fps or more. 

Very impressed.  :)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #354 on: September 01, 2009, 12:11:04 pm »

Now that I think about it, switching between tilegrid zoom and "visual" zoom is unnecessary. Until the constrain of having at least 80 tiles horizontally is disabled, here's the procedure that would make things easier:

1.Calculate the optimal initial display:
-if 80 tiles do not fit in the horizontal resolution, scale the tiles down both horizontally and vertically until they do
-if more than 80 tiles fit horizontally, increase the tilegrid until the whole horizontal resolution is filled
-do the same for vertical. Now we have the "base view"
2.At this point, zooming in should enlarge the tiles visually.
3.Zooming out from this point however, should increase the tilegrid (as the tiles are getting smaller, more of them can fit on the screen).
4.The "reset button" simply returns us to the base view.

I would also like to note that it would be quite awesome if the zooming function zoomed exactly towards the mouse cursor (that doesn't seem to be the case currently).

Now, if you excuse me, I'll get back to watching dwarves at extreme close-ups :)
<3

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 01, 2009, 02:41:30 pm »

I noticed that one can't zoom in past  a certain point.  It just leaves the same size tiles in a smaller area in the middle of the screen.  But, genius that I am, I didn't realise that that's a bug until someone else pointed it out. 
This is a result of black space being on, and not actually a bug. Mind you, black space being /off/ may be bugged. :P

I suppose I'll tweak it a little further; it should be possible to make zoom-in work without breaking aspect ratios.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 01, 2009, 04:09:25 pm »

*compares the images*  Huh.  So it is.  Perhaps it should have just been renamed to that instead of being blown up?
I think the original sized 800x600 should be renamed to 800x300 and leave the current (recently blown-up) version name as 800x600.  I think it is meant for 80x25 gridsize and I like the way it looks (not square, but like an old EGA screen in DOS).  Just my $0.02
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

fnool

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 01, 2009, 07:05:34 pm »

One minor issue I've run into with the zoom function (not sure if this has been mentioned yet)...

If I zoom all the way out and then zoom back in to the normal view, the furthest I can zoom in is a perspective which causes the tiles to be ever-so-slightly too tall - not the best thing to have on a square 1:1 tileset. I can solve this by zooming out one level, but it's a little baffling.

Wartender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 01, 2009, 07:28:33 pm »

i wanna play dwarf fortress  :'(
this game looks like so much fun when you learn to play xD

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 01, 2009, 07:48:04 pm »

I think the original sized 800x600 should be renamed to 800x300 and leave the current (recently blown-up) version name as 800x600.  I think it is meant for 80x25 gridsize and I like the way it looks (not square, but like an old EGA screen in DOS).  Just my $0.02

That's pretty much what I meant.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 64