How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270433 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16
« Reply #420 on: September 04, 2009, 01:14:55 pm »

ARGHH. So if I manually change everything in-game it should finally work alright?

Fingers crossed, I expect nothing.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 04, 2009, 01:16:48 pm »

Sorry. You could write a converter, if you want.  ::)

The new format is a big improvement on the old one, so this case of "savegame incompatibility" is well worth it. It probably won't change like that again, either.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 04, 2009, 01:26:42 pm »

There's no bay12 channel on Freenode :'(

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 04, 2009, 01:33:25 pm »

There is one on irc.newnet.net, though.

One of the many convenient features of irssi is that it lets me connect to multiple networks, seamlessly. Currently, that means freenode, rizon, newnet and oftc.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #424 on: September 04, 2009, 01:44:25 pm »

That's not how you're supposed to do it.

The only thing that's compatible between 40d and any of the 40dNs are the saves; copying over anything else will mess it up horribly. In particular, the interface format has been completely changed, and it can't read the old format.

Is it not possible to copy the raw folder, and the objects folder across? I thought I had done that, but it's been a long time since I used 40d.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 04, 2009, 01:46:02 pm »

but now I get a new announcement "X cancels store owned item: item unreachable" just would like to point it out in the rare event I am the only one

This is "normal". It can happen when a dwarf gets property over an item that is not reachable (underwater for example).

Forgot to mention that they should not be owning anything at this point in th fortress, many didn't even have a bedroom

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 04, 2009, 01:50:44 pm »

That's not how you're supposed to do it.

The only thing that's compatible between 40d and any of the 40dNs are the saves; copying over anything else will mess it up horribly. In particular, the interface format has been completely changed, and it can't read the old format.

Is it not possible to copy the raw folder, and the objects folder across? I thought I had done that, but it's been a long time since I used 40d.
You void your warranty by doing so. Yes, it should work, but I'd rather not have to deal with all the people who try that and get it slightly wrong.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 04, 2009, 03:10:07 pm »

It's working now. Raws, saves et al. I still have to change a load of things next time I embark, but oh well, for now it's working(ish) it looks weird, but I can put up wit that for performance increase.

I don't even know why I bother. My computer runs it perfectly at my chosen cap with or without it... it's done now anyway, so all is kinda okay.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sepis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 04, 2009, 04:57:26 pm »

The period is bound to SingleStep in fortress mode and Wait in adventurer mode.  Using for DownZ-Level creates a conflict unless you redefine those as well.

Simple analogy, a car is designed to let you set which pedal to use for the gas and brake.  You set the right most pedal to do both.  What do you expect the car to do when you press that pedal?  What do you really want the car to do with each press of the pedal?  Will you always want that response from pressing the pedal?

I would never have found SingleStep without having to look into this, but I guess a 'feature' of d12 is that the mapping for the z-level change seems to override the mapping for the single step, leading it to function as I expected it to.  Go figure.

Wartender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 04, 2009, 09:04:10 pm »

ok i got xchat, how do i connect to those networks? xD

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 04, 2009, 10:05:23 pm »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 05, 2009, 05:37:30 am »

Wartender: I live by central european time. Getting ahold of me shouldn't be too hard, except that you tried at 4am.  ::)

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 05, 2009, 05:40:32 am »

Since I've seen a few people here have troubles with conflicting keybinds, would it be possible to have it tell you when you double-bind a key through the UI?
I could make it do that, but if you look through the default bindings there are many keys that are bound to multiple things.  For example 'd', Designate, Designate Dig, Adventurer Item 4, Workshop-Mason Make Door, Buildings-Build Door, and quite a few more.  None of those conflict because none of them are available at the same time.

I can't determine what the bindings are used for at the lower level of the keyboard interface.  People just need to think, and pay a small amount of attention.

I would never have found SingleStep without having to look into this, but I guess a 'feature' of d12 is that the mapping for the z-level change seems to override the mapping for the single step, leading it to function as I expected it to.  Go figure.
If you have the menu on the screen it is listed right at the bottom.  40d to 40d12, didn't have any feature giving precedence to the z-level; it just did both things.  Which leads to undesired results.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 05, 2009, 05:58:48 am »

The key-binding screen could at least list the other functions bound to that key. It doesn't (and shouldn't) need to prevent you from binding, but it's considerably easier to "use common sense" if you don't need to search through every binding in the game to figure out if there are collisions.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 05, 2009, 01:36:10 pm »

Do the bindings of KEYDD and KEYDB no longer work for [ and ]?

I tried converting my usual laptop interface file over and it doesn't seem to be working right.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 64