How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270436 times)

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16
« Reply #600 on: October 13, 2009, 12:14:41 pm »

Sorry if this has been brought up already, but is GRID and FULLGRID in init not functioning on d16? I can only seem to get default grid sizes, and pasting it in does nothing.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: October 13, 2009, 11:05:23 pm »

is anyone else not being able to activate certain labors, or did I just muck up when I was modding something?

Not being able to farm, butcher, brew, hunt, or cook is kind of problematic.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: October 13, 2009, 11:14:33 pm »

Sorry if this has been brought up already, but is GRID and FULLGRID in init not functioning on d16? I can only seem to get default grid sizes, and pasting it in does nothing.
Those no longer do anything, in favor of the resolution options.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 14, 2009, 01:46:05 am »

is anyone else not being able to activate certain labors, or did I just muck up when I was modding something?

Not being able to farm, butcher, brew, hunt, or cook is kind of problematic.

99% sure it's your mods.  Make sure you have the correct PERMITTED_JOB settings in the entity definition.

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: October 14, 2009, 08:29:47 pm »

Not sure if this is the place to put this, but now that zooming is in, the next logical step would be to allow you to zoom in larger than the tile set.  Adding hqx interpolation would make this look better, and I believe it would go well with the style of most tilesets.

Edit:

Here's a comparison between HQX and Nearest Neighbor with a slightly modified Lemunde tileset:

Original

32x32
HQ2X: Nearest Neighbor:

64x64
HQ4X: Nearest Neighbor:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 09:25:51 pm by KillHour »

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: October 15, 2009, 04:39:30 pm »

Just a report, 40d gets me a higher framerate on a 160 dwarf fortress than 40d11 and 40d16 PUT TOGETHER. The difference is less extreme in smaller forts but 40d is still faster.

Whatever it means.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 16, 2009, 02:21:50 am »

Did you experiment with the print mode settings in 40d11 and 40d16?  I don't think the default settings give most people much of a boost.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: October 16, 2009, 06:08:13 am »

Actually, the default settings give a decent boost, in many cases.

The only cases where 40d16 should be *slower* is if (a) it's been unpacked on top of a 40d/40d15/whatever install or otherwise broken, or (b) you have really old OpenGL drivers.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 16, 2009, 08:47:07 am »

If I resize the window, performance goes directly into the crapper. I never get more than 20 or so FPS if I drag the window bigger, even if I get around 80-100 with the default window size(I'm running on a fairly marginal machine - 1.6GHz or thereabouts, and it's a Celeron at that).
This happens using [PRINT_MODE:STANDARD] if i use PARTIAL:10 the frame rate doesn't drop much. I am wondering when will it be slower to use PARTIAL 20, 30, 50, never? 

hmm, Is there a cap on PARTIAL? I cant see a difference using anything over 10.

One weird thing, on the title screen if i zoom I get flickering but when I load a fortress I don't get any flickering.

ArneHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 16, 2009, 11:46:10 am »

I'm having a bit of trouble with the latest release. Although it works fine, I have a 16:9 ratio screen and so the screen is squashed horizontally, and it is really annoying to look at.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #610 on: October 16, 2009, 12:18:19 pm »

The only cases where 40d16 should be *slower* is if (a) it's been unpacked on top of a 40d/40d15/whatever install or otherwise broken

Could you expand upon this? If I want to carry a save game over from a previous 40d, will it slow down, or only if I copy non-save game (save, raw, objects) files?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: October 16, 2009, 12:29:42 pm »

Could you expand upon this? If I want to carry a save game over from a previous 40d, will it slow down, or only if I copy non-save game (save, raw, objects) files?

Save and raws are fine.  /data/objects would be fine performance-wise too, although generally you shouldn't.  Anything else is perilous, probably DLLs from the old version in particular.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 16, 2009, 02:30:40 pm »

Did you experiment with the print mode settings in 40d11 and 40d16?  I don't think the default settings give most people much of a boost.
Yes, same results. Also, the print mode in d16 makes everything go to hell on mine.

The only cases where 40d16 should be *slower* is if (a) it's been unpacked on top of a 40d/40d15/whatever install or otherwise broken, or (b) you have really old OpenGL drivers.
B) is a possibility, since my computer is from oh, 2005 and I don't even know what an OpenGL driver is. Just thought I should report the results
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 16, 2009, 02:36:03 pm »

B) is a possibility, since my computer is from oh, 2005 and I don't even know what an OpenGL driver is. Just thought I should report the results
In most cases, simply updating your video card drivers will do the trick.  Have you done this recently?  What kind of video card do you have? (Sorry, I haven't read back to see if you already posted this...)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 16, 2009, 02:38:10 pm »

Yeah, you probably need new graphics drivers.  Go to the website where your hardware vendor provides software updates, or right click on your (Windows) desktop, hit Properties, go to Settings, look for a phrase that starts with "ATI" or "Nvidia," and type that phrase into Google along with "drivers."
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 64