Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 35

Author Topic: Vote Mafia, Round 3! (Game Over! Mafia Wins)  (Read 35743 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Vote Mafia, Round 3! (Day 1)
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2009, 08:05:02 pm »

I haven't decided who to kill yet.  I'll just wait, ready to strike at an odd post.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2009, 08:13:40 pm »

Unvote

So wait, before I make any hasty decisions, I want to get this straight.

The infinity voter and the unlimited voter have what is essentially the same power, but the IV will trump the UV if they're both in play, and the UV can switch his around, and will only be negated if he actually manages to kill someone, at which point he becomes a normal townie with 1 vote?

Hey Zaithemaster, what do you make of this? I'm not trying to deflect, by the way, I just want to know your thoughts.

Could you clarify as to what it is you are asking my thoughts on?

Chaoticjosh used the same wording that you're voting me for. Note the bolded part. What's your response? (Like I said, not trying to deflect, I'm trying to your response.)

Oh. That. Sorry. Kind of distracted and busy tonight. I'll hopefully be able to examine stuff more tomorrow night.

But. While you're right in a way (as I know what you're getting at), this is actually quite different. As I mentioned in my post where I voted for you, there are several reasons why I'm voting for you. That alone was not even enough for me to want to FoS you. It's that (you calling the Infinity Voter a regular townie after using their power), combined with you demanding the IV use their power today because you don't trust them, that is one of the reasons I'm voting for you. If you think they're a townie, why the hell would  you want them to waste their power, unless you're scum?

Also. Wut at Josh being all polite and crap. But hey, Josh, care to comment on the current status of this round of EPYC? >,>

[Pre-Post Edit:] HEAVILY FoS Diakron for bringing up the Gambler's Fallacy in a serious manner, and then defending it. I'm tempted to switch my vote, actually.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2009, 08:17:34 pm »

i only learn about this fallacy after the fact however every1 else is just randomly quoting eachother and posting more stuff to be quoted then random voting i get to try and play right? or is this a members exclusive area wher eif you dont play the way every1 else plays you dont get to play?
Back to Mafia with me!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2009, 08:33:01 pm »

That doesn't even make sense Diakron... Please try to talk more clearly.

About the EPYC? I'm probably going to have to replace Boksi, to be honest. I've been much too lenient with this absenteeism.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2009, 08:35:05 pm »

gah i feel like im damned if i do damned if i dont about posting. i say one thing to show that im trying harder this time.
Back to Mafia with me!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2009, 08:42:58 pm »

Diakron, don't feel you're being unfairly discriminated against, but understand that you're spazzing out when I'm not even putting pressure on you!

Can you understand why people can find that suspicious?

Zai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2009, 08:51:21 pm »

i only learn about this fallacy after the fact however every1 else is just randomly quoting eachother and posting more stuff to be quoted then random voting i get to try and play right? or is this a members exclusive area wher eif you dont play the way every1 else plays you dont get to play?

I'm sorry, but I laughed so hard at that. Especially the "every[one] else is just randomly quoting each other and posting more stuff to be quoted then random voting" part. What you described is not the situation at all. A "member's exclusive area [where if] you don't play the way every[one] else plays, you don't get to play"? No. It's just that if you don't make an effort, you can easily get "left behind" and become confused. Playing forum mafia can require a good chunk of effort and time to look back, study what everyone has said and done, and to make the best decision you can as to who to vote for.

But if you're serious (which I hope you aren't), the Mafia Scum wiki should be quite useful. Browse it some, and if there's a term that someone uses that you don't understand (such as OMGUS, WIFOM, gambler's fallacy, or LYLO), search for it on there. It should be quite useful. This goes for major_sephiroth as well.

And for some info that I really shouldn't be spending my time on typing up: At the beginning of each game, we randomly vote to get people to talk, and to gauge their reactions. While sometimes not very effective, this part can be quite useful, particularly against newbies who are scum, though they'll usually just claim "n00bship". These votes are not likely to remain for long, as long as the person being voted for doesn't react weirdly. The votes are merely to put pressure on people to talk.

However, we have passed beyond that stage, and so we are now no longer voting at random. Now we are at the point where examining what people say and who they vote for is a necessity. Typically in mafia, people will often decline to lynch on the first day in favor of waiting for night so that townie power roles can gather useful information. However, this type of mafia (Web's Vote Mafia variety) lacks power roles who can gather information in the night, such as a common Cop role, so this strategy is done away with. It is more crucial to examine what people say and do in Vote Mafias than in most others.

This has made me realize that Josh's Mafia Tutorial could probably really use more information on standard procedures and terms.

[Pre-Post Edit:] Like Josh just said, Diakron, you're going crazy when there's not a lot of real pressure on you. Going crazy just makes people more suspicious of you, which increases the pressure placed on you. But if you are really feeling like you can't take the pressure, perhaps it would be best if Web got a replacement for you? =|

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2009, 08:56:24 pm »

I'm unvoting and voting for Diakron for trying to get away with acting like a crackhead.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2009, 09:05:34 pm »

I'll think about expanding my tutorial to include basic procedure Zai. I'll need about a day to think about how to word it so as to avoid confusion, while leaving it succinct.

WA, I really want to know when the day's going to end. You've been a little lazy on this, and I really don't want to wake up tomorrow to find that the day has ended, and someone's already been lynched without me being able to weigh in my thoughts. The end of tomorrow seems pretty good for an end date though.

I'm going to bed now, so I hope that the end of the day isn't as close as I think it is, because I'm gonna be pretty cheesed if the day ends tonight without me being able to fight it. Keep us more informed, alright?

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 30, 2009, 09:06:33 pm »

And what makes you think it's a scum role? I bet you Webadict just randomly assigns the roles to random people on random teams.

He's confirmed this is the case.
[/quote]

I don't understand. How is ToonyMan confirmed for thinking a randomly assigned role is a scum role?
[/quote]

He *has*. Webadict.

Webadict has confirmed that roles do not have specific alignments.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 30, 2009, 09:10:38 pm »

Going to bed, I don't really think the day would end so shortly, anyway.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 30, 2009, 09:17:53 pm »

tyvm for the help guide i will read it reanalyze this topic then post something (hopefully) useful.
Back to Mafia with me!

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 30, 2009, 09:25:24 pm »

Alright, should the town attempt to get as much information as possible, by demanding that everyone vote for someone and then calling for a vote count, or should we try to keep as much information as possible away from the scum, and not?
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 30, 2009, 09:29:28 pm »

Alright, should the town attempt to get as much information as possible, by demanding that everyone vote for someone and then calling for a vote count, or should we try to keep as much information as possible away from the scum, and not?

Everyone vote and then do a vote count. However, for the results to be easier to interpret, it would be best if everyone voted for someone different.

Also, Pandar. That's basically what I was thinking, but didn't want to say. >,>

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 30, 2009, 09:30:17 pm »

have decided 2 things: a) i would like to roleclaim and b) i think  really toony is scum.

Sooooo.... I Roleclaim in my next post and vote Toonyman

I believe he is right about a balance it makes a lot of and as far as i know has precedents. I confirmed there was a unlimited voter but then toony said i could confirm him. i cant and i dont know why he would do this unles he was trying to get into the towns good grace. there is a precedence for this too in the first dwarf mafia in which he particpated.
Back to Mafia with me!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 35