Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26

Author Topic: Eccentric player behaviors  (Read 49019 times)

Toxicles

• Bay Watcher
  • Kiss me I'm hazardous.
    • View Profile
Re: Eccentric player behaviors
« Reply #210 on: December 31, 2009, 05:19:41 am »

I've grown a habit of doing needlessly complex things to solve my fort's problems.  For example, the map I'm on now has pools all over above ground near my entrance.  I was fishing them, but they dried out within a few years.

So, when I found an underground river, instead of fishing it, I built some water wheels and a pump system, hollowed out a stack of areas for the pump, and then dug out an aqueduct.  The water pumps like six z levels up out of the mountain, hits the outdoor aqueduct, and then rolls down into one of the pools.

Nearby pools are connected with underground tunnels I dug out.  There's a reservoir and everything.  There's also a pressure plate that turns off the aqueduct when the pools fill so nothing floods.  There's also three control rooms for the various flood gates and a panic lever in case I need to shut down the whole system.

Oh, and a maintenance hatch in the side of the mess.

All so my dwarves can fish without walking too far.
Erush Kolokol cancels eat: on fire.

Laskuraska

• Bay Watcher
  • It's hards to be in charge of alls dem dorfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 31, 2009, 07:42:43 am »

I smooth and pave everything. Dirt floors? Fuck no! I pave those! Rivers? Paved. Murky pools? Paved. Lakes? Also paved. The sky? Paved. Dorf umbrella!

Chalk

• Bay Watcher
  • oh dear
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 31, 2009, 07:49:17 am »

I tend to separate my building styles out by Z-level. It doesn't always work out that way, but the fort I like very much and spend most of my time on has this layout:

-Farms on the first underground layer, laid out in a very organic manner. Also, clothiers and the corresponding stockpiles.
-Same deal on the next one down, except less of a warren (far fewer random passageways connecting everything, much more dependent on large hallways)
-Two very Roman levels of bedrooms. Straight lines and symmetry everywhere! Rooms are uniform, save for the starting seven, which are larger and engraved.
-The fun levels, wherein I dug artful catacombs, winding passageways, and multi-layer beehives out of the rock. Any ore discovered here is dug out in its entirety and the resulting passageway is turned into something.
-At the very bottom, some very convoluted noble bedrooms. They look like spaceships, only full of +diorite crown+s.

When a dwarf hits legendary, I take off all his cleaning/hauling labors...except burial.

I like to build little cafes all over the place as well. Decentralized dining just works.

My military is usually completely cut off from the rest of the fort... either aboveground or tucked away in a catacomb somewhere. I don't like them mingling. >:(

Freeklace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 31, 2009, 08:44:37 am »

I don't do too well with space efficiency or good pathing. My fortresses tend to have big, wide hallways, with large, square or rectangular rooms. When I build in places with lots of cliffs, I'll often extend rooms outside of the mountain with walls and ceilings out of a stone a different color than the surrounding rock. My mountain forts end up looking like castles that mountains have grown around.

My hill forts are usually only a couple levels deep, and terribly space inefficient. Guess I'm a hummie at heart.

You sir have just given me an idea for my hammerer's next room...

Toxicles

• Bay Watcher
  • Kiss me I'm hazardous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 31, 2009, 09:20:00 am »

I like to build little cafes all over the place as well. Decentralized dining just works.

Wait, that isn't normal?  Weird...I thought it was.  My food stockpiles are all over the place and I end up with like 6 9x9 dining rooms near them.  I figure, my hard-working dwarves shouldn't need to spend all day walking to get to the nomz.
Erush Kolokol cancels eat: on fire.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 31, 2009, 02:00:02 pm »

If I can, I try not to kill invaders. I cage them all and pit them down a 1x1 pit, with several drawbridges down to make the fall non-lethal. And I just forget about them, until the day comes when I want to end my fort.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #216 on: December 31, 2009, 02:00:45 pm »

If I can, I try not to kill invaders. I cage them all and pit them down a 1x1 pit, with several drawbridges down to make the fall non-lethal. And I just forget about them, until the day comes when I want to end my fort.

Wait, doesn't that keep you in siege status?

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 31, 2009, 02:20:42 pm »

I don't kill cats. When they start having kittens, I cage some of them as trade goods.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 31, 2009, 02:25:07 pm »

Wait, doesn't that keep you in siege status?

Way I remember it, sieges get broken as soon as the invaders try to retreat. Caging most of them should be enough for that.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 31, 2009, 02:49:08 pm »

Yes, usually i let all my traps set off and kill the eventual remaning siegers until they run off.

TrueAnkh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 31, 2009, 03:55:06 pm »

I make my farms less defended than the rest of my fortress because I always seem to have much more than enough.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 31, 2009, 05:39:05 pm »

I make my farms less defended than the rest of my fortress because I always seem to have much more than enough.

It's really not difficult to get a huge surplus of food.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 31, 2009, 08:01:51 pm »

I built a prisoner of war area since I'm too lazy to execute the ones that got in cage traps
It's FEF, not FEOF

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 31, 2009, 08:30:50 pm »

I built a prisoner of war area since I'm too lazy to execute the ones that got in cage traps

Really? It's not that much work; just make your POW "area" into a pit and direct a channel of water into it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 31, 2009, 11:05:58 pm »

All my military dwarves get 3x3 rooms, smoothed, along a single hallway. This is mirrored with their tombs, which are engraved, and for every dwarf that dies in combat with orcs, a masterwork native gold statue is placed in my entryway.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26