Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1696568 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Stonesense - Official thread -
« Reply #2490 on: February 13, 2010, 03:26:09 pm »

Speaking from my own, admittedly incomplete, understanding of the steps involved, I believe any sort of useful interface would require much more integration with Dwarf Fortress, such as an SDK. And I doubt that will happen.

smd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: February 13, 2010, 03:52:41 pm »

I'm speaking of an interactive GUI, where clicking an icon would send a keystroke/combination input to DF. If it works with virtual keyboard, why not make something similar?

or maybe forget the gui?
If only Stonesense could track the DF cursor.. and DF could accept key commands while minimised.

My question is: if and why is this not possible?

I am completely unaware of the technical details involved, I'm a pixel artist, not a programmer.

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: February 13, 2010, 05:58:14 pm »

If there's one thing I REALLY want, it's blood and corpses, as macabre as it is!
I just had a huge raid, where there were casualties from both sides laying all over the place, and blood ALL OVER my entrance area.

in stonesense it was an empty landscape  :'(

do these things count as items I assume? as thats the only thing I'd seriously want right now more than anything!

and yes I just joined the forums to say that :D

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: February 13, 2010, 06:09:16 pm »

If there's one thing I REALLY want, it's blood and corpses, as macabre as it is!
I just had a huge raid, where there were casualties from both sides laying all over the place, and blood ALL OVER my entrance area.

in stonesense it was an empty landscape  :'(

do these things count as items I assume? as thats the only thing I'd seriously want right now more than anything!

and yes I just joined the forums to say that :D

Very much want.

I've got a feeling that will be handled after "things" are finally handled.
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: February 13, 2010, 06:50:20 pm »

oh, well its not that important, use mike maydays graphic pack.  What's really important... is getting bins and barrels and bodies on the screen
I like sushi.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #2495 on: February 13, 2010, 07:49:08 pm »

There's a branch on the svn with blood already (at least I think I saw that one). The bits were available right from the start. And then there's one with items (and corpses are items in DF). So yeah, it could be available sooner than you think. Then again, the new big DF could be here sooner. And those things need artwork too.

Things got moving in the DFHack land again though :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:52:00 pm by peterix »

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: February 13, 2010, 09:27:12 pm »

oh, well its not that important, use mike maydays graphic pack.

With an attitude like that, why play with stonesense at all?

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: February 14, 2010, 04:34:28 am »

So much of DF's interface changes depending on what you're doing though. Sure, after a while you start to memorize certain strings of keystrokes, but being able to see a list of each building, or whatever, sure helps.
~ T

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2498 on: February 14, 2010, 08:57:31 am »

Im all for the GUI, I dont care much for the visualizers (looks arent that important), its the pain of issuing orders I want to decrease somewhat.

Last night I wrote a sort of proof-of-concept tool for interfacing. One thing I hate is cutting down trees. Boring, time consuming and doesnt pose much of a challenge. Besides, a few years into the fortress I spend way to much time just looking around the map for more trees. >.<

My function scans all the (visible) tiles i the world, if there is a tree on it its designated to be chopped down. I plan to expand this to work with stone as well (dig out all discovered copper, for example). A limit will also be added, the first time I ran it 5580 trees were designated to be chopped down.  :D

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2499 on: February 14, 2010, 09:05:04 am »

I'd like it more if the job manager could handle requirements.

Say I set in the job manager a request for 1 copper table.

First, it should Check stockpiles to see if there are any copper bars.
-If there are untasked copper bars, check for fuel.
--If there is fuel, set job in forge and set both the bars and fuel as tasked so they are not used for anything else.
--If there is no fuel, check map for untasked coal or wood.
---If fuel-capable item is found, burn/process for fuel and set job.

-If no copper bars are present, check for copper ore.
--If copper ore is present, check for fuel.
---Etc...

-If no copper bars or ore are present, check map for exposed, unsmoothed copper vein.
--If copper vein is found, zoom to copper vein and prompt player, "Is this ok to dig?"
---If player indicates yes, designate for digging and delay job until digging complete, restart from beginning.

You get the idea... same would work for trees. If no wood is found and I asked for a wooden chair, designate a tree for choppin. Preferably the closest tree to the workshop which will do the job.

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2500 on: February 14, 2010, 11:15:59 am »

That would be totally awesome. But those decision trees can get extremely complex extremely quickly. For example, if you order two iron items to be constructed but only one bar is in the stockpile, both orders checks would pass (since the iron is there) but only one could be built: the one that gets the iron hauled first. I dont think we could add something like tagging an objected as dedicated to getting a certain item built, the only thing we could use would be if a hauling job is assigned for it, but it wouldnt be reliable (as shown above).

Also, there a probably a ton of those subjective decisions where you would want to ask the player. Like the last known iron block seems fine to be mined, but removing it would give attacking forces a shortcut into the fortress. Or there is water on the other side which would, in case of mining, flood that level of the fortress.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2501 on: February 14, 2010, 11:44:52 am »

You missed the part where the iron bar would have been tasked so no other job could use it, and thus it wouldn't count for the 2nd order.

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2502 on: February 14, 2010, 11:54:39 am »

Sorry if I was unclear but thats exactly the problem I tried to approach in the fourth sentence of my post. Unless someone could figure out a clever way to do it, items cant be tasked in such a way.

Now that I think about it though, depending on the tool that traverse the decision tree and applies the logic for what items needs be gathered in order to have something built, it can save the memory adress (the pointer) for every item thats dedicated in this way. Then, when another job requests another iron bar (for example) and we have saved the memory adress of the first on (its already dedicated to something) we cant consider it as available. Could work.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: February 14, 2010, 01:03:13 pm »

You should make a topic for this awesomeness.

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2504 on: February 14, 2010, 01:10:11 pm »

Rest assured that a topic will be made when/if I have something to show. Talk is cheap you know. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 379