Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698665 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread -
« Reply #2580 on: March 01, 2010, 10:04:59 pm »

bout the SVN.....I have compiled many SVNs for different things plenty of times......but this one baffles me....i cant figure out where it all goes wrong >.>

I would be happy to offer some guidance, either state the errors or hop by #dfhack on freenode. In about an hour or so Ill be home from work and will indulge myself in some df happiness. Ill be in the channel by then.  :)

I am prolly missing some super important technical detail.....but wouldnt it just be easiest if there was a stable version (eg. Granite) and a development version.....since this can be used in an archived format and does not need to be installed wouldnt making a dev version be jokingly easy (with of course exceptions like my inability to figure out where I am going wrong -.-)

I mean atleast a Dev version for each new 40d## version would make sense....and in this case that would mean both 40d17 and 40d18

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2581 on: March 02, 2010, 03:13:29 am »

Maybe you didnt mean to quote me, but thats not really my call. Although I have my own mirror on github, I could add all kinds of funny named branches there.

And for the same reason, Im not really sure how to respond. A stable and development branch wouldnt really help someone trying to figure out how to compile it.

Belal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: March 02, 2010, 09:22:25 am »

bout the SVN.....I have compiled many SVNs for different things plenty of times......but this one baffles me....i cant figure out where it all goes wrong >.>

I would be happy to offer some guidance, either state the errors or hop by #dfhack on freenode. In about an hour or so Ill be home from work and will indulge myself in some df happiness. Ill be in the channel by then.  :)

I am prolly missing some super important technical detail.....but wouldnt it just be easiest if there was a stable version (eg. Granite) and a development version.....since this can be used in an archived format and does not need to be installed wouldnt making a dev version be jokingly easy (with of course exceptions like my inability to figure out where I am going wrong -.-)

I mean atleast a Dev version for each new 40d## version would make sense....and in this case that would mean both 40d17 and 40d18

just use peterix's build for d17 and d18

http://dethware.org/StonesenseD18.zip

You are probably right that a dev build would be nice, but I don't think anyone would want to support it is the problem. :)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: March 02, 2010, 12:54:49 pm »

I only quoted you because you made me think "if its so easy for one person to do it why doesn't it just get released by the devs in some sort of nightly build format or something"

I am not sure what you mean by people not supporting it....I am merely talking about there being the occasional development build released.....aka someone compiling the SVN in an archive format for people to download or something...seems a lot simpler than having people download a bunch of extra stuff and try and compile it. Would prolly help increase the fan base as well....I know I'm not the first to ask about this or a new version.

I guess for whatever reason it is more difficult than it should be...or I am just stupider now than I used to be with this stuff...which makes no real sense cause I am only 20 so I cant really contribute it to old age =P

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #2584 on: March 03, 2010, 06:22:09 am »

I only quoted you because you made me think "if its so easy for one person to do it why doesn't it just get released by the devs in some sort of nightly build format or something"

I am not sure what you mean by people not supporting it....I am merely talking about there being the occasional development build released.....aka someone compiling the SVN in an archive format for people to download or something...seems a lot simpler than having people download a bunch of extra stuff and try and compile it. Would prolly help increase the fan base as well....I know I'm not the first to ask about this or a new version.

I guess for whatever reason it is more difficult than it should be...or I am just stupider now than I used to be with this stuff...which makes no real sense cause I am only 20 so I cant really contribute it to old age =P

Hey dennislp3, thanks for trying out Stonesense :)
The reason we haven't been doing 'nightly' builds is because we want to make sure people get a quality product. It just gives a better impression we agreed upon. That being said, we are a bit overdue for d18 support. And I wish I'd taken the time to really sit down and integrate it properly. I hope I'll be able this weekend or something (there's been a lot of work and private stuff for me lately).

Other than that we are all holding our breaths for df 2010, and Japa is working on some really exciting new features I think you'll all be pleasantly surprised to see (once they're polished and finished).

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: March 03, 2010, 04:19:59 pm »

Thanks for the info. I am sorry if it seems like I'm just ragging on the project and saying you all suck lol....not my purpose. Spose it was just irritating when I can't use it in 40d18 (because it now feels like an essential part of Dwarf Fortress). I am eagerly looking forward to the new release and those to come, keep up the good work guys!

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: March 03, 2010, 06:03:58 pm »

Thanks for the info. I am sorry if it seems like I'm just ragging on the project and saying you all suck lol....not my purpose. Spose it was just irritating when I can't use it in 40d18 (because it now feels like an essential part of Dwarf Fortress). I am eagerly looking forward to the new release and those to come, keep up the good work guys!

no no no, think nothing of it mate. We need any feedback we can get :) Obviously d18 support should be a priority.

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: March 04, 2010, 12:19:30 am »

I don't mean to be a bother, but could anyone point out where snowed tiles are defined?
I wanted to see how they were implemented in the xml, but I cna't seem to find where that would be.

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: March 04, 2010, 03:10:16 am »

I don't mean to be a bother, but could anyone point out where snowed tiles are defined?
I wanted to see how they were implemented in the xml, but I cna't seem to find where that would be.

Because of how they work in the memory layout, snow and muddy tiles are hard coded in, there's no way of changing them yet. sorry.

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: March 04, 2010, 07:11:24 am »

Just wondering... but is there any particular reason that ramps have inbuilt floor "faces" that overlap the underlying -actual- floor?
Would there be any issue I've overlooked prevent me from adding that to the transparancy to show off the floor underneath?
just thinking as I type this... do floating ramps come with floors? or is that what the paper thin floor top is filling in?
(Testing while I wait for a reply)

--Floating ramps -do- automatically get a floor to go with it... was the inclusion of the floors in the ramps just leftover from the tiles they were based on?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 07:20:49 am by Dark_Tundra »

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: March 04, 2010, 07:34:03 am »

just thinking as I type this... do floating ramps come with floors? or is that what the paper thin floor top is filling in?
It's partially for historical reasons, partly because it makes little to no difference.

Each map tile has *one* terrain element. There isnt a separate ramp part from the floor part. When we see a ramp or a wall, we draw in an appropriate floor just because otherwise it would look silly.

Belal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: March 04, 2010, 09:16:44 am »

no no no, think nothing of it mate. We need any feedback we can get :) Obviously d18 support should be a priority.

You can use it in d18, peterix made a build for that earlier in the thread, it is not an official release, so don't expect support if it doesn't work, but you can use it.

here is the link again, http://dethware.org/StonesenseD18.zip

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: March 04, 2010, 04:10:21 pm »

Yeah I picked that build up and it works just fine thanks though

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: March 05, 2010, 11:32:05 am »

Now we demand a 40D19! :D
We can live with 40D18 though. The saves are compatible right?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: March 05, 2010, 01:33:44 pm »

Alright, I'm about to embark on another tile-spriting binge, and amidst all the things I'd like to do, I need to figure out where to start. Which of the following features would you most like to see first?

1) Tile Transitions:
Instead of having sharp tile edges, use smooth transitions from one texture to the next on the boarder. I'm thinking loose sand spilling out onto cracks in stone, tall marshgrass growing into a muddy-edged pond, rocky cliffside overhangs, and other pixely filligree. It's a lot of work, and may take time to integrate, but it would make things look far less blocky.
- Theoretical 2D Example:

2) Complete Workshops/Constructions:
Full tileset for all Workshops and Constructions, remastered and done to reflect the materials they're made of, and walkable tiles. Also, get rid of the Generic Yellow Cube siege engines, etc. :P
- More stuff like this:

3) Complete, Colorized Material Tiles, Floors, and Ramps (Natural or Constructed):
Full bank of tile textures, with recoloring as appropriate. Textured and colored ramps for all materials. Proper transparency effects for glass/ice. Multiple tile textures for grass, stone, water, etx. so large patches of a given material look more natural.
- (Example Forthcomming)

--
P.S. Jonas, do you think we might update the poll to reflect this?
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 379