Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1696533 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread -
« Reply #2610 on: March 06, 2010, 12:06:30 am »

Again I would be worried about just how much the additional textures will slow things down. Has anyone set up the full Jadael set to compare the speeds?

I haven't done it specifically to test the speeds, but I believe I use the full Jadael set, (New Walls and floors) as well as my own creature sprites, and it doesn't seem noticeably slower to me when just looking around normally.

It does lose some speed when I unhide tiles though while I don't recall regular slowing down at all with tiles unhidden.

So basically no difference with hidden tiles dark, about 3/4ths speed with the Jadael stuff with tiles unhidden.

Again, this is just casual observation.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: March 06, 2010, 12:57:16 am »

When the colors for metals and stone and things get added, would it be possible to make the color of the texture based on the color of the material, rather than the material itself? i.e. instead of having seperate textures for obsidian, rhyolite, and mica, it would have one texture for, say, stone floors, and then color that based on the stone. Or at the very least it would only work like that if Stonesense didn't have a specific texture for the material in question. Would make stonesense more mod-friendly, is the point I'm trying to get across.

My personal plan is to create 8 monochrome textures, 2 for each classification of stone... I posted a list on this thread some time ago, but I can't seem to find it to reference. These different textures would provide visual interest (and a way to tell same-colored stone apart just by sight), while still keeping the number of unique textures manageable.

For example, Marble and Obsidian would share a texture since they are both have semi-lustrous foliate surfaces, but one would be white with brown highlights, and the other would be black with blue highlights:

Also, for your viewing pleasure, I give you: WATER v3.0 - The Hydrating

It's broken up into floor tiles and a block tile now, and has been given different surface textures so that you can recognize when the camera is under water as opposed to at the surface.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 01:03:42 am by Solifuge »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: March 06, 2010, 01:15:20 am »

That is absolutely gorgeous, Solifuge.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: March 06, 2010, 01:25:59 am »

I don't like the sides of it.

Also, on reflection, I think the fakefloor is the 8th of 7. But water, like all else, doesn't obey 'olume so much.

Archimedes could not please the king.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: March 06, 2010, 01:30:27 am »

My personal plan is to create 8 monochrome textures, 2 for each classification of stone... I posted a list on this thread some time ago, but I can't seem to find it to reference.
You can't find it because...you didn't post it.
Made a list of all the sprites Stonesence could need. I don't know how comprehensive it is because I know there is allot missing and allot that could use the same sprite. I'd put this on the Google code wiki but im not a committer so if someone else can or set up a better wiki that would be appreciated as this list needs the help of others. :-\

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

jugglervr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: March 06, 2010, 01:34:08 am »

So, I hope i'm not sounding dumb here, but i've noticed that SS displays magma when there's no way I would have known it was there. This feels a little cheaty... is there any way to turn this off?
(i'm using the d18 compiled version that was linked in this thread a few pages back)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: March 06, 2010, 01:35:25 am »

So, I hope i'm not sounding dumb here, but i've noticed that SS displays magma when there's no way I would have known it was there. This feels a little cheaty... is there any way to turn this off?
(i'm using the d18 compiled version that was linked in this thread a few pages back)
D'you use :NO] on your features?
Tilesets

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: March 06, 2010, 01:39:14 am »

My personal plan is to create 8 monochrome textures, 2 for each classification of stone... I posted a list on this thread some time ago, but I can't seem to find it to reference.
You can't find it because...you didn't post it.
Made a list of all the sprites Stonesence could need. I don't know how comprehensive it is because I know there is allot missing and allot that could use the same sprite. I'd put this on the Google code wiki but im not a committer so if someone else can or set up a better wiki that would be appreciated as this list needs the help of others. :-\

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

actually...
(two days prior)

If I may be so bold Solifuge I would suggest that the wood and stone supports could still use a bit of work (they strike me as looking a little thin and odd)... Not that I could do a better job... Just a thought if you wanted to have a crack at making an improvement or alternative...

That was actually the idea! Remember, supports are built not as permanent structures, but as temporary struts that can be collapsed remotely.

For rock type graphics I'd recommend they be based on the typical depictions of rocks in geology textbooks (yes I've taken some geology) as these are a made to both match the rocks real appearance and be recognizable.  All of these refer to rough stone surfaces, smoothing and constructions are a separate issues.  The following should provide enough variety to do all the layer stones once a colorizing system is in place.
(...)

As a complete Rock Geek, this is something I've been mulling over for a while to try and find a way to do it right. I took some of your suggested textures, as well as a set of others, and added in a few others. Each category will have a generic greyscale stone texture, which we can apply colors to in order to create all the different stone types. Eventually, I'd like to have multiple textures of each category, which will be cycled through to create more natural-looking walls.

1. Flakey Sedimentary (Shale, Mica)
2. Grainy Sedimentary (Sandstone, Siltstone)
3. Clear Crystaline (Ruby, Rock Salt)
4. Opaque Crystaline (Obsidian, Bituminous Coal)
6. Smooth Igneous (Basalt, Rhyolite)
7. Coarse Igneous (Granite, Diorite)
7. Lusterous Metamorphic (Marble, Quartzite)
8. Foliated Metamorphic (Gneiss, Phyllite)
9. Nodular (Bauxite, Conglomerate)
10. Metalic (Hematite, Tetrahedrite)

jugglervr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: March 06, 2010, 01:39:46 am »

D'you use :NO] on your features?
hmm. is that somewhere in the init? I don't have an attribute called "features" in my init, and i've glanced at all the values... am i just overlooking it?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: March 06, 2010, 01:42:40 am »

jugglervr: I mean the site finder settings, for underground rivers, UG pools, magmapipes, bottomless pits, chasms, magmapools, and "other features". Which would be one way to know something's there.

Dark_Tundra: My mistake. I expect "lusterous"[sic] caused it to not show up in my search.

Tilesets

jugglervr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: March 06, 2010, 02:00:52 am »

jugglervr: I mean the site finder settings, for underground rivers, UG pools, magmapipes, bottomless pits, chasms, magmapools, and "other features". Which would be one way to know something's there.

ehhhh. i fear this is me being obtuse again, but the init doesn't have the words "site" or finder" either, and i'm not sure how to find any other options.
can you give me a more clear idea of what I'm looking for?

Cheers.

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: March 06, 2010, 02:21:57 am »

jugglervr: I believe CobaltKobold may mean; you can know that the magma is there if you search for it in the site finder(correct me if I am wrong)

CobaltKobold:I think jugglervr may actually mean; unrevealed magma, under a fort, has a visible surface in stonesense if you are viewing the same slice

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: March 06, 2010, 02:30:28 am »

Well certainly, but I'm saying that there are other legitimate, game-included ways to know about it.

jugglervr:
Code: [Select]
You can change these to ALWAYS and NO.  More restrictive world parameter settings override these.  ALWAYS lets you see the features in the Local view during embark, and NO stops you from looking for features in the site finder (though if you really want to stop the finder, it might be better for you to generate worlds that restrict the use of this feature completely, in which case you don't need to change the settings here).

[SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:ALWAYS]

[SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:ALWAYS]

[SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:ALWAYS]

[SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:ALWAYS]

[SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:ALWAYS]

[SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:ALWAYS]

[SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:ALWAYS]

[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:ALWAYS]
The default is :FINDER] which lets you use the embark site finder to find said features. And, at least for the round features (pipes, pools, pits) it's really really easy to find them if you know what embark square they're in. UGrivers are hardest that way, chasms are pretty hard to miss, and Other Features are sort of tricksy.

Did that answer your question?
Tilesets

jugglervr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: March 06, 2010, 02:31:30 am »

jugglervr: I believe CobaltKobold may mean; you can know that the magma is there if you search for it in the site finder(correct me if I am wrong)

CobaltKobold:I think jugglervr may actually mean; unrevealed magma, under a fort, has a visible surface in stonesense if you are viewing the same slice

ah yes. I can see the exact location of the magma in SS, but i can't see it in DF. this prevents any kind of exploration to find the magma. ;)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: March 06, 2010, 02:32:51 am »

CobaltKobold: I'm really confused.  You seem to be talking about making those features show up in the finder.  Jugglervr is talking about seeing magma in Stonesense.
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 379