Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698858 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #150 on: October 21, 2009, 07:21:33 pm »

In theory you could actually have different levels show for 1-7 of water, which would be awesome. Assuming you can get the data, of course, but since you can display water levels in DF that sounds doable.

Of course, then you're stuck with 7 different sets of water tiles plus the annoyance of figuring out what to do when you have mismatched levels next to each other.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 21, 2009, 09:03:23 pm »

well, if you just draw all tiles as transparent with edges, then you get the gradual water opacity free.

Do you draw steam/dust/miasma/etc yet? I was thinking about those, and those would be suited more to multiple alpha le'els (since they basically have opaque/75%/50%/25% already) for their tiles.

I'm guessing you don't distinguish subtypes yet.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 21, 2009, 09:45:19 pm »

In theory you could actually have different levels show for 1-7 of water, which would be awesome. Assuming you can get the data, of course, but since you can display water levels in DF that sounds doable.

Of course, then you're stuck with 7 different sets of water tiles plus the annoyance of figuring out what to do when you have mismatched levels next to each other.

At the moment due to the sprite-based implimentation i'd just ignore mismatched water levels. getting the functionality in is more important than fine-tuning the details.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 21, 2009, 11:56:41 pm »

We are now looking for artists.
So if you want to join us in creating the Official Stonesense tileset,
let us know by posting in this thread!
Please note however, we must reserve the right to screen contributions.
Mayday! Mayday!

(this is a pune, or play on words)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets
« Reply #154 on: October 22, 2009, 01:09:43 am »

I'd like to help out with some art. I can't promise any time until next Wednesday, but if I'm feeling like procrastinating before then I might do some sprites.
Here's some 16x16 ones I did for the dwarf therapist thread. Just let me know what subjects & dimensions- 32X32, right?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 22, 2009, 01:33:08 am »

I've not done any Pixel-art for a looooong time, but I would like to help.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2009, 07:22:41 am »

Sheb, IDreamOfGiniCoefficient great!

I'm sure you've had a look at the artwork that's in already, and if not you really should, they're all in the objects.pcx file. Solifuge has been working hard on it, and I think it looks great :)

It is really important to keep to the same visual style, that's why I think we should do some simple trials first. I hope you agree that is reasonable :) We have a lot of sprites to make, and so the help is very much appreciated!

Why don't we start out simple; with two Containers. A leather bag, and a rock coffer. make either one, doesn't matter, we need both. These shouldn't be too hard :)

These are the buildings you place with b-h, and depending on the material used to construct it you get either a chest (wood), coffer (rock) or bag (textiles).  Right now we have the wooden chest (again, see the objects.pcx image), but I think it would be nice to be able to show different kinds of containers too.

The sprite dimensions are, as you guessed, 32x32. And be sure to have clear cut edges (no fading to the background).

Again, thanks for your interest. I think if we all pitch in, we can make something to really show toady how this game can look!

Good luck guys!

TauQuebb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2009, 08:19:04 am »

I will have a crack this weekend, sounds like something fun to try.

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 22, 2009, 01:28:58 pm »

At the moment due to the sprite-based implimentation i'd just ignore mismatched water levels. getting the functionality in is more important than fine-tuning the details.

Look at the .pcx file.  This is something Stonesense has and HAS HAD since day one.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 22, 2009, 11:43:01 pm »

Look at the .pcx file.  This is something Stonesense has and HAS HAD since day one.

Then...all that's needed is to make the first two or three transparent, right?

Of course, the trick is to make sure it's only the top top-deep things, like lakes, will be troublesome.

As if the carp weren't bad enough.
« Reply #160 on: October 23, 2009, 01:21:58 am »

Here you go:

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 23, 2009, 02:09:49 am »

nice Coffer, could you do a wood and glass one as well?
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download
« Reply #162 on: October 23, 2009, 04:02:49 am »

Green glass and wood.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 23, 2009, 04:22:37 am »

Palettizing (word?) the glass one would probably make for nice metal coffers.

Palettizing the metal in general (and perhaps the stone) is probably a good idea, or you'll make a lot of DF art not show.
Tilesets

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 23, 2009, 05:48:53 am »

You might want to look at the system were using in Khazad, it's a bit complex but its (almost) entirely data driven with XML files and combines Grey-scale png files in various ways to create textures that get applied to rocks and objects.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 379