Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1696572 times)

YojimboUsaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #210 on: October 24, 2009, 02:46:14 pm »

I second the motion of using Beefmo's graphics for units.  They will match very nicely and he has done an apeload of them already.

HAR HAR Hariffic work folks!!!

Yoj

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #211 on: October 24, 2009, 03:12:07 pm »

We are now looking for artists.
Mayday! Mayday!

Yes yes, I've been observing this thread carefully but due to the lack of time I'm refraining from making any promises until I'm sure I could keep them. Besides, all the "work" I did so far was for cavalier, not isometric. That means it'd take new work from me- and I may be prolific but certainly not most talented around here (Nickel's, kaypy's and Solifuge's work- I'm not sure I could top that) so I wouldn't overestimate the value of my potential partaking in this project ;)

uhhh... did that make any sense??

Also, I'd like to repeat my question: any plans on including custom shaped and sized tiles for this?
<3

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 24, 2009, 03:24:25 pm »

Though, if you're gonna base your units off an already made tileset, personally.. And no offense to Beefmo, but I don't really care for his Kobolds.

These little guys, however..: http://1d4chan.org/images/6/6a/Koboldtileset.png

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to this mod's development. It's good stuff.

Yeah, a more conservative take on the kobolds might be better, and I don't think there's anything wrong with mix-and-matching as long as the styles don't clash horribly.  IMO Beefmo did his best work on the dwarves and goblins, especially the dwarven nobility.

Besides, all the "work" I did so far was for cavalier, not isometric. That means it'd take new work from me- and I may be prolific but certainly not most talented around here (Nickel's, kaypy's and Solifuge's work- I'm not sure I could top that) so I wouldn't overestimate the value of my potential partaking in this project ;)

Perhaps it wouldn't work out as well as I'm envisioning, but can't they just reuse the graphics tiles that you already made for DF itself?  I don't think creature graphics need to be "isometricized" in any way.

It would be really cool if Stonesense could read a DF-formatted creature graphics file (e.g. graphics_example.txt) so that people could just drop in the graphics pack of their choice.  I don't know how much has been done with detecting creature professions, but professions are a hardcoded list so it should be possible.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:25:58 pm by Footkerchief »

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #213 on: October 24, 2009, 03:28:59 pm »

Perhaps it wouldn't work out as well as I'm envisioning, but can't they just reuse the graphics tiles that you already made for DF itself?  I don't think creature graphics need to be "isometricized" in any way.

Well, graphics created specifically for iso- or cavalier- look much better in these views than normal "side-view" (currently used in all DF tilesets). But if you guys want to use the stuff from DFG- be my guest* :) I trust you know how to extract it properly?

*I'm pretty sure Sphr and the other contributors won't mind either, all the creators here are very... open about their work.
<3

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 24, 2009, 05:12:05 pm »

It seems to me that currently existing graphics could be used as place holders while we wait for iso creature graphics.  It would be good to get creatures down without needing to wait for special graphics.  Although flipping would only get two of eight potential facings.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 24, 2009, 05:17:37 pm »

It seems to me that currently existing graphics could be used as place holders while we wait for iso creature graphics.  It would be good to get creatures down without needing to wait for special graphics.  Although flipping would only get two of eight potential facings.

imo facings is quite superfluous, at least for fortress mode

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 24, 2009, 05:20:01 pm »

Oh, creatures have a direction they are facing in.  It's just that without combat text you can't really tell.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 24, 2009, 05:28:39 pm »

Oh, creatures have a direction they are facing in.  It's just that without combat text you can't really tell.

yeah, i was talking in the context of the stonesense

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #218 on: October 24, 2009, 06:04:32 pm »

Man, if it's there and it's possible to vis it, I don't see a reason why not to ALLOW vising it :P
<3

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 24, 2009, 06:35:00 pm »

I think it might be more precise to say "without combat you can't really tell" -- as far as anyone knows, the game only knows which way you're facing if you made an attack in the last turn.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 24, 2009, 06:58:06 pm »

I think it might be more precise to say "without combat you can't really tell" -- as far as anyone knows, the game only knows which way you're facing if you made an attack in the last turn.

Yeah, that definitely seems to be the case.  You could certainly fake facing based on the dwarf's last movement, but that requires tracking a whole new set of variables.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

MP2E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 24, 2009, 07:45:36 pm »

I have gotten this to compile on Linux, although it needed a few source changes to do so.  I unfortunately can't get regular dwarf fortress to run on my machine, so I can't test that it is loading the maps correctly, but the stone sense program starts properly.

The main things you have to change are capitalization issues in some of the dfhack header files you changed, as well as some include directives.  In addition I had to install the allegro libraries before compiling, they are available at http://alleg.sourceforge.net/

get the stonesense source with svn checkout http://stonesense.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ stonesense

then do the following steps

the incorrect filenames are

in dfhack/libraries
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and in the base directory

at the top of DFTypes.h and DFCommon.h

in dfhack/libraries/machtypes.h

then build dfhack with cmake as per the dfhack instructions, goto the dfhack/output directory and move the libdfhack.so file into your system lib directory

Next you use sprintf_s and fopen_s in GUI.cpp and xmlBuildingReader.cpp, these are VC++ only functions, but you can change them to the portable sprintf and fopen.

In GUI.cpp

and in xmlBuildingReader.cpp

after that create a Makefile, here is mine

You have to change the library and include paths into the proper places for your distribution in the above makefile

then type make and it should compile!

Excellent stuff! Unfortunately an update to dfhack in the projects folder changes everything though, if you can get it to compile in Linux again please post up your findings.. I've tried a few times but I just can't get it unfortunately. But next time I'll create a patch with your fixes and put it up here, with the hope that it will get merged in

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 24, 2009, 08:00:39 pm »

I noticed a bug with dual monitors, the window isn't updating graphical draws on the second monitor properly. It works fine on my first monitor though.

AFAIK:
To the Windows 7/Vista theme reverts, I think that is due to incompatibility with OpenGL and DirectX trying run together at the same time. What used to happen is that OpenGL was handled in a wrapper which allowed both together, but this was industrial sabotage as it severely impacted on OpenGL performance, so Micro$oft has to disable the aero theme when an OpenGL program wants to run.

I guess a similiar thing has to happen here with Allegro.
[ Looking into Allegro now, never heard of it before actually ]
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 08:05:16 pm by Nexii Malthus »

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 24, 2009, 09:43:32 pm »

Feedback on these racks?

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 24, 2009, 09:53:18 pm »

armor rack looks great. the weapon rack, maybe the actual rack could be slightly darker for better contrast with the weapons. the weapons looks a tad small too, maybe the hilt of the axe should go all the way to the floor, same with the swords blade?
just thoughts ..nice work!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 379