Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1696456 times)

frumpton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #285 on: October 28, 2009, 08:22:13 pm »

Can I get a shot of some of my beasts in the program so I can see what I need to adjust? Looking at those dwarves makes me think some of the animals are a bit flat (among other problems).

Best case scenario; Solifuge makes art for the entire thing  8)

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #286 on: October 28, 2009, 08:25:36 pm »

hop on IRC (#dfhack @ freenode.net) and I'll see what I can do :)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 28, 2009, 08:30:43 pm »

adventure support? It seems like it would be more useful there, particularly with nasty twisty caves, and much easier +/- z viewing.

Though, then you need to consider how to render vis/nonvis.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 28, 2009, 08:36:25 pm »

I've tried out adventure mode, which kinda works actually. Only wish we had some way to link the view to the cursor....

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 28, 2009, 08:40:16 pm »

I've tried out adventure mode, which kinda works actually. Only wish we had some way to link the view to the cursor....

I'm pretty sure the open-source, real-time visualizer Lifevis has this feature.  Might be worth checking how Mithaldu accomplished it.
« Reply #290 on: October 28, 2009, 08:42:43 pm »

Well, the real question is: What are we attempting? Multiple facings for creatures or just one sprite for each? Multiple sprites obviously increases difficulty with hand drawn artwork - especially because the creatures have to be recognizably the same from different angles. If we're only doing one sprite per creature at this stage, then Solifuge's animal sprites seemed to have the most sensible design: in profile with the head turned to face the viewer. The main thing is to keep a unified feel. We should attempt to stick to similar palettes and keep the dimensions consistent. Any depth to the creatures at this point could be taken care of by ensuring that the highlights are consistently coming from one point relative to each sprite, but that doesn't seem too important right now.

If the designers have any guidelines for this stuff, I'd be happy to follow it- otherwise I don't think it makes too much difference in the end.

The isometric thing has been done before, and the effect of shading consistent between the landscape and creatures is either ignored, as in the case of UO, or it doesn't have that much immediate visual impact in any case. (Diablo 2)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 28, 2009, 09:03:03 pm »

I couldnt agree more. A consistent look and feel is very important. So, as stated earlier, noone get offended if something doesnt make it in, or gets replaced, we're just striving for a consistent look. And there is full support for alternative tile-sets anyway :)

Edit: also, Footkerchief, I will have a look at that, thanks

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 28, 2009, 11:13:28 pm »

Any word on when the next update will be?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 28, 2009, 11:33:16 pm »

Saturday. see first post in the thread.

LN
"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 29, 2009, 12:15:05 am »

I couldnt agree more. A consistent look and feel is very important. So, as stated earlier, noone get offended if something doesnt make it in, or gets replaced, we're just striving for a consistent look. And there is full support for alternative tile-sets anyway :)

I agree also - one sprite per animal but please change direction where are creatures facing for some of them. It would be very weird if every single animal was looking to the right.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 29, 2009, 12:26:09 am »

I agree also - one sprite per animal but please change direction where are creatures facing for some of them. It would be very weird if every single animal was looking to the right.
Some simple logic should be able to flip the image to the left and right directions no problems.

But for the record - 3D for the win. :P

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 29, 2009, 04:07:12 pm »

So hypothetically, there could just be five seperate images of each creature, with the east/west/north/south and diagonal facings being flipped? (flipping wouldn't work for towards-the-screen or away-from-the-screen, though)
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 29, 2009, 05:38:49 pm »

IMO you either do 1 sprite per creature or you go all out and do simple 3D iso. I really think it is a waste of time doing some complex in-between 2D system. It'd be less work in the long run.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 29, 2009, 06:00:49 pm »

The usual trick is to do 5 sprites (facing top, facing top-right, facing right, facing bottom-right and facing bottom) and then mirror the 'right' sprites when the critter is facing left.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 29, 2009, 06:38:23 pm »

IMO you either do 1 sprite per creature or you go all out and do simple 3D iso. I really think it is a waste of time doing some complex in-between 2D system. It'd be less work in the long run.
If you ask me, it doesn't look right to see a dwarf walking backwards.  And real time does seem to be something people want this in.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 379