Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1696521 times)

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #570 on: November 06, 2009, 10:24:23 am »

I love how im able to mind force the wheel to spin the other way around, its such a strange feeling when you manage to flip it in your brain!

gonna be awesome ingame

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: November 06, 2009, 10:26:04 am »

I love how im able to mind force the wheel to spin the other way around, its such a strange feeling when you manage to flip it in your brain!
Which is perfect since the water could be flowing in either direction.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 10:29:27 am by Slogo »

Grif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: November 06, 2009, 12:24:37 pm »

To be fair, I read the README and somehow missed that part.

Likewise.
The readme actually says:

Numpad + and -: Set automatic reload

and it's under:

--==debug keys==--
(prolly not useful for you guys)

Well, seems like it's useful after all huh?

Anyway, cheers!

shikijiyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Novo Robotics
« Reply #573 on: November 06, 2009, 12:42:26 pm »

I know this is a tender subject, and people can get heated, so I just want to express that this is my OPINION:

With the obvious caveat that it should not lead him into a superstar lifestyle (although he deserves it :0), sitting poolside while surrounded by adoring fans and lazily drinking an ice cold margarita, I firmly believe that Tarn deserves a large suitcase full of cash.  A suitcase so bursting with cold currency that he can continue to develop Dwarf Fortress without the concerns of supporting a very luxurious and comfortable lifestyle.  The sort of heap of money that would allow him to do whatever he might please.

While many generous supporters do a great deal as is, I think he deserves more.  Everyone reading this (except YOU, random Kotaku reader) has played and loved DF for a good while now.  We eagerly check the development page, hopefully anticipating the glorious new release.  We pour over the forums, looking for and giving out answers as needed.    We revel in the fantastic world that is Dwarf Fortress, and we love every minute of it.

But I am not satisfied.  Though I am near bursting with earnest enthusiasm as I introduce strangers to this incredible game, I find myself, more often than I can bear, looking into the face of sullen rejection.  How many of us have hefted the stout axe of the gameplay argument in defense of the attack against graphics?  How many of us have handed out the promises of distant fulfillment while patiently urging newcomers to just keep climbing that learning curve?

It is easy for us to shrug it off.  After all, we are the DF players.  If they do not like it, then more game for us, right?

This argument has become unacceptable.  This game is too amazing to jealously hoard.  The wonder is too great not to share.  The very IDEA behind Dwarf Fortress needs to be spread across the community of gaming developers.  Everyone who overcomes the learning curve and can handle the graphics comes to love and cherish this game.  And therein lies the problem.

It is a sad fact that we are here, in a world where graphics have become so important, where wonderful gameplay can be cast to the wayside in favor of shiny baubles.  But we are here nonetheless.  Concessions must be made.  To earn Tarn that suitcase full of cash that he deserves, this game must be made more accessible.  It must be made available to those who need graphics.  There are, of course, those who will not be able to handle the depth.  As any community of players grows large enough, there will be those who are naysayers.  But the potential reward to be reaped by opening this game up to the masses, by spreading the glory of DF to everyone, is unquestionable.

So please.  Keep toiling.  Keep working your incredible, beautiful magic.  Keep throwing your all into this outstandingly amazing project.

And Tarn, if you happen to read this, please consider lending your all-important stamp of approval to this project.  I believe laying the groundwork for that bridge to a larger audience is incredibly important.  And Scamps could use a gold water bowl.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 06, 2009, 12:44:28 pm »

I made a simple screw pump proptype, it needs polishing.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:00:38 pm by winner »
The great game of Warlocks!

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 06, 2009, 03:21:09 pm »

I made a simple screw pump proptype, it needs polishing.

looks nice

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: November 06, 2009, 03:22:51 pm »

Scamps could use a gold water bowl.

I believe he'd prefer adamantine ;).
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 06, 2009, 03:33:08 pm »

What your describing is an API and Toady has steadfastly refused every appeal to add it to DF (which I personally find unconscionable, either provide a real UI or an API, refusing to do either is simply an insult).

I'm late to this tangent, but Toady hasn't "refused" to "provide a real UI."  He just hasn't prioritized it as much as some people want.  There's a rather gigantic difference -- there are a ton of dev items relating to UI overhauls.

"Natural" Stone should have been labeled Smoothed Stone; regardless, its one I'm having the most trouble properly representing. It is what texture results when plain stone layers are Smoothed by engravers. The blocklike texture is meant to be lines carved directly into the wall, rather than something that the dwarves have built up, to add a sense of texture.

That was exactly what I saw when I looked at it.  I think all of those stone textures look awesome, personally.

Also that waterwheel is just beautiful.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 06, 2009, 04:21:19 pm »

I edited so that there is a gear on the bottom front to try to make it intuitive how power can be transmitted.
The great game of Warlocks!

Belal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 06, 2009, 04:27:36 pm »

Dwarf Names!

So I just finished getting the dwarf names into dfhack, so I whipped up a few quick changes to get stonesense to display them!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here is the simple patch, you just have to get the newest dfhack first as well.

Code: [Select]
Index: GUI.cpp
===================================================================
--- GUI.cpp (revision 152)
+++ GUI.cpp (working copy)
@@ -135,6 +135,10 @@
     textprintf(target, font, 2, config.screenHeight-20-(i--*10), 0xFFFFFF,
       "Creature: %s(%i) ",
       v_creatureNames.at(b->creature.type).id, b->creature.type);
+ textprintf(target, font, 2, config.screenHeight-20-(i--*10), 0xFFFFFF,
+   "Name:%s %s %s ",
+   b->creature.first_name.c_str(), b->creature.nick_name.c_str(), b->creature.trans_name.c_str());
+

char strCreature[150] = {0};
     generateCreatureDebugString( &b->creature, strCreature );

Banzayatc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 06, 2009, 04:51:25 pm »

A man I know drew (drawn? keep forgetting that rule) these elves. I'm posting with his permission, of course.

Also, I'll try to persuade him to draw some more sprites, if you need them.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 04:57:26 pm by Banzayatc »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 06, 2009, 05:40:44 pm »

Dwarf Names!

Holy Carp! Excellence!

A man I know drew (drawn? keep forgetting that rule) these elves. I'm posting with his permission, of course.

Also, I'll try to persuade him to draw some more sprites, if you need them.

I just had a Flashback to RPGMaker. That elf's face was on one of the main characters from some RPG project I was working on almost a decade ago :P

More seriously though, since the RTP from RM2K/3 isn't open-source, I don't think we can use it. Sorry.

Banzayatc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 06, 2009, 05:49:03 pm »

I didn't know that. Oh well :3

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 06, 2009, 07:12:32 pm »

They do look very nice, very "Elfy" with the aloof expression mixed with blond girly hair...

OI don't know if it's the Anime Fan in me, But I always see Elves as the overly Efem always blond and sparkling types, I can't imagine a black-haired elf. :P
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 06, 2009, 07:27:18 pm »

After the discussion earlier I thought I might try my hand at the smoothed rock walls.

I don't know if as a rule you were trying to avoid top of wall tiles being the same as floor tiles but I can always revise it.  I think I can also make engraved walls out of these.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 379