Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1696551 times)

Seuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1080 on: November 18, 2009, 06:13:31 am »

Just when you thought it was okay to go back into the cave...

Giant Cave Spider!

Maybe he's a bit complicated?  First attempt at drawing sprites in isometric...and first attempt at following Suess/Solifuge/Jonask's style.

Dante - Do your temp sprites fit inside of the cube shape templates?  They seem a bit big but that could be just me and my aging eyes.  I'm all for placeholders but not if they pop through the floor :D

Awesome work hope to see some more. :o

Yeah, I drew them inside the standard cube template.

EDIT
Actually, wait: the horizontal batmen may not, because I just rotated them through 90 degrees. I'll just go check.

EDIT
Yep, by pure serendipity the flying ones still work out just within the cube. Though they could afford to be moved a pixel to the left. I'll get back to that.

EDIT

So this is what I have, in a bit over an hour.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's whale shark, nurse/generic shark, antmen x2, batmen x4, unrecognisable coelacanth, sea monsters x2, newly resized camel, newly resized cow, elephant, elk, gazelle x2, nightwing/cave swallow, giant bat, giant scorpions x2, giant eagle.
If nothing else, this should drive people to create in the hopes of replacing these ...things.  ;D

As much as im against just scaling down real images of animals with a few edits, any sprite is better than no sprite ;)

I'm going to ask if there are any objects that need need sprites ASAP? My next set of sprites I'd like to do are trees or more rock cubes but it'd be nice to do something a little more... interesting first.
“Reality is that part of the imagination we all agree on”

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: November 18, 2009, 06:21:21 am »

I noticed that the pictures that people were uploading to the Creature Sprites page weren't really lining up with the words, so I threw the Animals section into a few tables. I really hope this is okay; I don't know the etiquette on this kind of thing. If it's not, let me know--I wouldn't want to make the same mistake twice.

I also added some sprites I've been making.

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: November 18, 2009, 07:41:27 am »

I wonder if it would be a big hit to the performance if the ground tiles were chosen with respect to the surrounding tiles, so that we have smoothed angles.
Pseudocode:
Code: [Select]
for x=1..n (n: total number of tiles on the x-axis)
for y=1..m (m: total number of tiles on the y-axis)
unNoNeighbour=0;
if tile(x-1,y) not exists || is not of same type as tile(x,y)
bnoWest=true;
unNoNeighbour++;
if tile(x,y-1) not exists || is not of same type as tile(x,y)
bnoNorth=true;
unNoNeighbour++;
if tile(x+1,y) not exists || is not of same type as tile(x,y)
bnoEast=true;
unNoNeighbour++;
if tile(x,y+1) not exists || is not of same type as tile(x,y)
bnoSouth=true;
unNoNeighbour++;

switch(unNoNeighbour)
case(0):
draw(E)
break;
case(1):
if(bNoWest)
draw(D1);
[...]
//and so on, 3 more "if"s
break;
case(2):
if(bNoWest&&bNoNorth)
deaw(C1);
[...]
//and so on, 7 more "if"s
break;
case(3):
if(!bNoWest) //watch the "!"
draw(B1);
[...]
break;
case(4):
draw(A);
break;
end;
end;
end;

Quick mockup for A-E: http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2178/tiling.png

I guess this would improve the viewing quality, especially in environments like this:

Drawback: I'm not really sure how you could find the correct "ground"-texture for the places where the grass is not growing in that tile (i.e. for mockup A) - maybe with transparency?
You could use the material of the block below the floor as the default ground, use it's material as the ground texture and draw the "smoothed" grass/loam/sand/... on top of it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 07:50:44 am by Vince »

fifth angel

• Bay Watcher
  • slow and lazy
    • View Profile
    • -thee portfolio-
« Reply #1083 on: November 18, 2009, 07:51:33 am »

I wonder if it would be a big hit to the performance if the ground tiles were chosen with respect to the surrounding tiles, so that we have smoothed angles.
Pseudocode:
Code: [Select]
for x=1..n (n: total number of tiles on the x-axis)
for y=1..m (m: total number of tiles on the y-axis)
unNoNeighbour=0;
if tile(x-1,y) not exists || is not of same type as tile(x,y)
bnoWest=true;
unNoNeighbour++;
if tile(x,y-1) not exists || is not of same type as tile(x,y)
bnoNorth=true;
unNoNeighbour++;
if tile(x+1,y) not exists || is not of same type as tile(x,y)
bnoEast=true;
unNoNeighbour++;
if tile(x,y+1) not exists || is not of same type as tile(x,y)
bnoSouth=true;
unNoNeighbour++;

switch(unNoNeighbour)
case(0):
draw(E)
break;
case(1):
if(bNoWest)
draw(D1);
[...]
break;
case(2):
if(bNoWest&&bNoNorth)
deaw(C1);
[...]
//and so on, 7 more "if"s
break;
case(3):
if(!bNoWest) //watch the "!"
draw(B1);
[...]
break;
case(4):
draw(A);
break;
end;
end;
end;

Quick mockup for A-E: http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2178/tiling.png

I guess this would improve the viewing quality, especially in environments like this:

Drawback: I'm not really sure how you could find the correct "ground"-texture for the places where the grass is not growing (i.e. for mockup A) - maybe with transparency?
You could use the material of the block below the floor as the default ground, use the ground texture and draw the "smoothed" grass/loam/sand/... on top of it.

I stated that too (: ...Maybe like that. Anyway, the best option is to allow alpha-channel, but you can make good results with just transparency and right algorythm.
hmmm....

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: November 18, 2009, 08:16:50 am »

This mod is starting to get some serious stylistic problems.

Some of those animals, while nice, clash with the overall style of the game... but Id have to see them in action first I guess. Though they likely arn't the finished product.

The Giant Cave Spider though is perfect

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: November 18, 2009, 08:21:47 am »

With the right algorithm you can have the computer generate all the sprites for you based on google searches of the creature name. Writing the algorithm would of course be the hard part. ;)

fifth angel

• Bay Watcher
  • slow and lazy
    • View Profile
    • -thee portfolio-
« Reply #1086 on: November 18, 2009, 08:28:48 am »

This mod is starting to get some serious stylistic problems.

Some of those animals, while nice, clash with the overall style of the game... but Id have to see them in action first I guess. Though they likely arn't the finished product.

The Giant Cave Spider though is perfect

That's why big projects have lead designer )
hmmm....

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #1087 on: November 18, 2009, 08:52:24 am »

Alright, time for some quick responses.

To anyone contributing sprites, let me first say again thank you so much for your work! I would like to point out this GCS by Xandrin: Not only is it superbly drawn, but it matches the style of the rest of the tileset... And see how he fit it inside the box? You gotta do this people, at least make sure your creatures don't go under the bottom lines because they'll get cropped off ingame... Take this otherwise excellent cow: It's too big, it's feet would get cut off :(

@YojimboUsaka: Wow! Wonderful fort! really amazing. It's unfortunate that the wet sand floors where not configured in that release, but they will be in this upcoming one! If you could take another picture then, I'd love to use it as a promo...

And for all of you, here's a little sneak preview of what next week will bring ;)

An underground tower-cap farm, from Ashencrown by 7˘ Nickel.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: November 18, 2009, 09:36:12 am »

That looks like Xcom.
Awesome...

EDIT: The plants are amazing, however I think they could use some dark borders as, for example, the tower cap.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:40:54 am by Jiri Petru »
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

kingpocky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: November 18, 2009, 09:42:08 am »

Take this otherwise excellent cow: It's too big, it's feet would get cut off :(

YojimboUsaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: November 18, 2009, 09:44:41 am »

Glad you liked it.  The sand did stand out a little.  If there is any feature/structure you would like to show please let me know and I will add it in somewhere.

I am really looking forward to the coored floor tiles (the map room and disco really dont look like much till then) and the waterwheel will really help the dwarfhammer ship pop.

Sidenote:  the dwarfhammer should have fortification/arrow slits where the ballista are but it looks like solid walls.  I will also need to stop using corners for entrances.  Looks like the dwarfs have to squeeze through the corners to get out of their rooms  ::)

Thanks again for all the hard work on this.  Great stuff!!!!
Yoj

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: November 18, 2009, 11:03:14 am »

Sorry for the long quote, but it was several pages ago, so I want to put things back into perspective.

Doublepost with another one. This is a preliminary version, I'm not so sure about this one. If you can't recognise what it is, I've done something wrong.

My girlfriend works with trees and forced me to change the green palette on this one.

EDIT: I'm having trouble getting the colors right. Does anyone know of a good guide to leaf colors?

I've never done pixel art before this point but from what i know and what you will see in others works is that pixel art is vibrant and exaggerated in colour.
A basic rule with colour is cool dark colours push things back and warm bright colours pull things forward. With pixel art you have to apply this double fold to give shape to such tiny objects. Another tip i can give is that pixel art is often a representation of an object or character and correct proportions, shape and colour are pushed aside for an easier understanding of what your spite may be.

I did a willow tree myself to give you an idea of how warm and cool colours can convey shape easily. my sprite could still use some work but its good enough for now.

So I tried my hands at a willow again and this is the result:

The reason I'm still doing this, even though Seuss has already posted a beautiful willow, is that I'm trying to closely mimic Solifuge's style. I was afraid Seuss' willow wouldn't fit the general style of Stonesense, and thus I made this. This is a little mockup that shows how it would look like ingame. Please note I put my birch there, too  ::)

I'm willing to draw other trees, so please let me know whether you like it or not. Seuss, I'm not trying to step on your toes, and I love your plants! It's just that I like drawing stuff for Stonesense.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: November 18, 2009, 11:13:35 am »

Well while Jiri's Tree matches the style

Suess' colors match (and I think this style matches more personally... but that isn't the point)

Jiri I think you need to use a more vibrant color.

Edit addition: I am refering to the willow. >.>
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:19:05 am by Neonivek »

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #1093 on: November 18, 2009, 11:14:08 am »

@Jiri Petru: To be honest, if I were to choose (and I guess I am) I would go with your birch, which looks absolutely perfect, and Seuss' willow :)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: November 18, 2009, 11:38:03 am »

Well while Jiri's Tree matches the style

Suess' colors match (and I think this style matches more personally... but that isn't the point)

Jiri I think you need to use a more vibrant color.

Edit addition: I am refering to the willow. >.>

Yeah, agreed.  Pixel art works well when vibrant colors are expressed or even exaggerated, and that seems to be the look that Stonesense is going for.  Willows aren't particularly pallid either.  The shape and lines are very good, though.

edit: oh, this is basically what Seuss already said, but it still applies this time around.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:40:01 am by Footkerchief »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 379