Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1696531 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1575 on: November 29, 2009, 04:19:40 pm »

and some c&c on the zombie version would be much appreciated. I was thinking of doing the zombie versions like this all with the same palette with a few changed details.. to give a unified look to the undead area's.... not sure though.

The purple zombies are cute, although they might take some getting used to.  I tend to think of a more conventional rotting-with-flesh-hanging-off look for zombies, and while the purple will instantly differentiate them from normal creatures, zombies of different species will all look a lot like each other -- you won't be able to use color as a clue for identifying them.

Xandrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: November 29, 2009, 04:26:53 pm »

Although perhaps you could focus on a bit more pressing matters :P
http://stonesense.wikia.com/wiki/Stonesense_Wiki
I hope the list is up to date...

Creatures list is pretty up-to-date.  Although the majority of sprites in the list at the moment are severely lacking and can be should be replaced.  I wish i had more time to get my wolves done, basing them off of the sprites from good ol' FF1.

Beefmo: what program are you using to create your sprites?

Pretty much any time you see a purple "?" or a creature you think doesn't fit the current scheme then we need a sprite for it. :D

Jarathor: MS Paint does not draw an alpha channel.  I've never tried elements 5, but yeah...paint sucks.

Seuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: November 29, 2009, 04:31:59 pm »

Awwww yesssss, man!
Now I wish my fortress was full of undead frogs and bats just so I could see these buggers in Stonsense :)

Although perhaps you could focus on a bit more pressing matters :P
http://stonesense.wikia.com/wiki/Stonesense_Wiki
I hope the list is up to date...

BTW, could you help me work on this bugger, Beefy?

We have pressing matters?

Skeletal and zombie toads done! Edit: Bats too!

God damn skeletal sprites never easy >< and some c&c on the zombie version would be much appreciated. I was thinking of doing the zombie versions like this all with the same palette with a few changed details.. to give a unified look to the undead area's.... not sure though.

To Kaypy: What kind of delay between frames are you using so i can tailor my animations to that?

I'm against using just purple. I don't think shape is enough to differentiate all the creatures if they are purple plus i don't think it conveys them being zombies.
I think your style is exactly what stonesence is shooting for, are you aiming for that or is your style just like that?
“Reality is that part of the imagination we all agree on”

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: November 29, 2009, 04:33:09 pm »

Maybe the artists should start looking into creatures with the Menge (or however you spell it)

ClumsyBoy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: November 29, 2009, 04:48:19 pm »

Clumsyboy: works fine here;
you need the allegro-dev package, cmake package, and libpng-dev packages installed.
after checking out the stonesense svn (or the stonesense-read-only one, makes no difference), you go into the stonesense/build directory and type:
Code: [Select]
cmake .. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:string=Releasethen type
makeand let it build (hopefully no errors, there will be some warnings though but those are usually safe to ignore in this case)
then type
cd .. and ./stonesense to run it. be sure df is running first.

P.S. if you want to have the cool debug cursor, replace the build type string above ("Release") with "Debug".

LN

Thanks for that information. I can get past the cmake part with no errors, but when I run make, it ends with the following error:

Linking CXX executable ../stonesense
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lalleg_unsharable
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [../stonesense] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/stonesense.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

So it appears it can't find my Allegro libs? Any ideas about how to fix this?

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: November 29, 2009, 04:55:06 pm »

..I tend to think of a more conventional rotting-with-flesh-hanging-off look for zombies, and while the purple will instantly differentiate them from normal creatures, zombies of different species will all look a lot like each other -- you won't be able to use color as a clue for identifying them.

yeah same here, i'm forever stuck with the fallout style zombies in my head.

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: November 29, 2009, 04:57:19 pm »

Jarathor: MS Paint does not draw an alpha channel.  I've never tried elements 5, but yeah...paint sucks.
I figured it was something like that - PSE 5 probably doesn't either.
Can paint.net or Gimp draw in alpha?
Or is there another free program I should be checking out?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: November 29, 2009, 05:00:29 pm »

Anyhow Purple can say zombie (lots of animals suffering from Mange or the Menge or however you spell it have a purple hue) it just isn't likely sufficiant on its own.

Blank, and missing, expressionless eyes, Hanging tounges, Tilted heads, bloody maws, gaping maws, visable organs, all help
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 05:03:20 pm by Neonivek »

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #1583 on: November 29, 2009, 05:04:23 pm »

We have pressing matters?
Well, I don't care since I'm stuck in the cavalier version :P Ok, carry on then!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 05:48:04 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: November 29, 2009, 05:57:38 pm »

Third one more like you guys picture?

To Mikemayday: I'm moreso doing these for practice than anything else, and there are other people working on most other area's so I figured animals were a good start since i never got around to doing them for my set either! Once I get these zombie versions ironed out I'll have a poke at your little dwarf and see what i can do with him.

To Xandrin: Good ol' MS paint here :P I found photoshop too cumbersome to work with at these levels, its pretty much overkill, although the animation feature was very handy from what i remember of it... pity I lost my photoshop in the great reformat of 09.

To Neonivek: I never knew what mange was until now! :P But that kind of idea will work alot better when i get to zombie animals that actually have fur, I might give it a spin on the bat, but he doesnt really have much body area to play with.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: November 29, 2009, 06:00:44 pm »

Yeah, I like that one better, although big patches of missing skin or even exposed bone are always cool too.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #1586 on: November 29, 2009, 06:12:21 pm »

The third one is grrrreat!
It's cool, as Seuss pointed out, we don't ACTUALLY have any pressing matters in terms of gfx :) So feel free to work on whatever you find fun!

and I guess I might as well throw this in here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
<3

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: November 29, 2009, 06:14:36 pm »

I'm still not sure how I feel about cavalier perspective, but I'm glad someone's doing it and that looks pretty fantastic.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: November 29, 2009, 06:16:03 pm »

To Xandrin: Good ol' MS paint here :P I found photoshop too cumbersome to work with at these levels, its pretty much overkill, although the animation feature was very handy from what i remember of it... pity I lost my photoshop in the great reformat of 09.

I often had the same problem, Photoshop/Gimp are really really overkill but MSpaint and equivalent are a bit blunt and don't do anything with alpha channel.  I recently found PAINT.NET and find it to be a good alternative to MSPAINT, its simple enough to get in and quickly do some work and has a number of useful features paint doesn't.  My only grip is that theirs a bug in the drag tool that requires you to move the mouse well away from the area your dragging or else you'll stretch it (in other words the control points for dragging are so huge they completely cover the selection area).

P.S.  Agree with Mike third one is most zombie, btw as this is a giant TOAD I think the normal non-zombie toad should have a brown and warty skin a smooth green skin is what a frog has.  Also some yellow eyes would help, I find it looks a bit too much like very fat pit-bull dog rather then a toad.

Mike:  Thats pic is it from Stonesense or is it a mock-up?  I think the dwarf should be shorter as it really looks to be taller then the walls its next too (are the walls compressed at all?)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 06:22:13 pm by Impaler[WrG] »
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #1589 on: November 29, 2009, 06:34:43 pm »

Quote from: Impaler[WrG
Mike:  Thats pic is it from Stonesense or is it a mock-up?  I think the dwarf should be shorter as it really looks to be taller then the walls its next to
It's from Stonesense, a modified exec to support cavalier. Sadly, the walls are only 25 px tall and 24 pixels is too damn low to have fun. Thus, the dwarf is higher... for now. I might do a smaller dude later on.
<3
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 379