Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698653 times)

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread -
« Reply #2115 on: December 23, 2009, 07:18:23 am »

within realistic water simulation, there are three main parts that give it it's appearance:
-depth fog; to simulate less light reaching the bottom of deep water. Should be subtle(light scatter).
-water surface; usually a reflection, but in this case a texture like that which is currently used will suffice(difference of refractive indexes).
-and the initial darkening of sub surface materials caused by much of the light being reflected off the surface.(side effect of refraction)

in a perfect world, with no overhead, I would suggest perhaps 25% strength fog cube(I mean the one i posted earlier at one half strength) in a plain blue, in addition to the surface being textured with the current tile with additive blending, with an overall darkening mask of perhaps 50% over everything obscured by water.

I imagine it would look somewhat like this:

please forgive the compression, it's automatic from the image host.
CobaltKobold, I hope you don't mind me imitating your test zone.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: December 23, 2009, 07:29:07 am »

All the better to compare. Hang on a moment, putting the clean one.

Is hardly mine, I just slapped together a 4x4x1, 4x1x3, 1x3x3 of one of the linked tileset's solids.

That looks pretty good, actually.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: December 23, 2009, 07:35:26 am »

hmmm... might have been better if i'd added the tinted fog before the light occlusion... I'd test if i didn't need to sleep.
that one there is 50%black
then 25% fog (the one i drew up before was 50%)
then a top layer of 50% water texture set to add(add because of reflectivity, without the darkening then just overlapping would have sufficed.)

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: December 23, 2009, 08:24:16 am »

CobaltKobold: unfortunately there actually is no "binary" prefix. We can do hexadecimal with "0x<num>" and octal with "0<num>", but it isn't actually possible to put in straight binary without further code on your part.

To be honest I would recommend against manually drawing all possible water cases. If we have a decent underwater effect (such as Dark_Tundra's, which looks pretty spiffy) and we have a water surface image, we can generate the possible images pre-runtime (either packaged or with a provided program) or upon starting Stonesense.

We have 7 water levels possible, but we don't even need to store all seven in memory. We can draw the standard water surface on a slightly different vertical offset for all the levels. We can then use a different image if we want to do the sides or bottom for some reason, but it's probably worthwhile not to bother.

The case with ramps is more difficult, and depends on whether your art for the ramps follows a simple geometric pattern or not. For example, simple pyramid or cone ramps will allow you to calculate where the water intersects the ramp (pixelwise). Then you draw the bottom half of the ramp (all the pixels below (x,f(x)), where f(x) is the intersection), the water surface and then the top half. If you're really game, you can then draw a light blue line to simulate small waves lapping against the ramp.

But this may be too much trouble. I guess it depends on whether your programmers or your artists have more free time over Christmas.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: December 23, 2009, 08:41:37 am »

CobaltKobold: unfortunately there actually is no "binary" prefix. We can do hexadecimal with "0x<num>" and octal with "0<num>", but it isn't actually possible to put in straight binary without further code on your part.
This is, frankly, a pain. Could make each direction a bitmask and bitwise-or them together for the cases, which would make it more readable, I suppose.

To be honest I would recommend against manually drawing all possible water cases. If we have a decent underwater effect (such as Dark_Tundra's, which looks pretty spiffy) and we have a water surface image, we can generate the possible images pre-runtime (either packaged or with a provided program) or upon starting Stonesense.
The cases I used are easy enough to draw for the same reason that they're easy to generate- move one of the surfaces a bit, or create one diagonal. (Aside from the falling-stream case, but that's a singular case) And, generating them externally to the program feels more in-line with SS's tech. Mybe I should look o'er at Khazad.

We have 7 water levels possible, but we don't even need to store all seven in memory. We can draw the standard water surface on a slightly different vertical offset for all the levels. We can then use a different image if we want to do the sides or bottom for some reason, but it's probably worthwhile not to bother.
Consider any spilled water, and this kinda goes out the window.

The case with ramps is more difficult, and depends on whether your art for the ramps follows a simple geometric pattern or not. For example, simple pyramid or cone ramps will allow you to calculate where the water intersects the ramp (pixelwise). Then you draw the bottom half of the ramp (all the pixels below (x,f(x)), where f(x) is the intersection), the water surface and then the top half. If you're really game, you can then draw a light blue line to simulate small waves lapping against the ramp.
It sounds good at first, and would be a art-light solution, but water running down ramps will look bad that way.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: December 23, 2009, 11:21:48 am »

On the subject of waterfalls I did have a thought, it hurt a little but I'm ok.

Would it be a simple matter to just find water tiles that logically should be falling and just stick a dark water colored blue fog(that stays the same intensity from top to bottom, unlike the normal fog) every tile underneath til it hits a surface?  Perhaps with a little lag on the fog to keep the fog present for a few seconds to give an active waterfall enough time to place another tile of water at the top to keep the effect going.

If done right that could convey "There is a waterfall here" while at the same time allowing folks to see the individual water tiles.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: December 23, 2009, 03:42:05 pm »

Won't that be roughly equivalent to when mist goes in?
Tilesets

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: December 23, 2009, 04:44:19 pm »

I imagine it would look somewhat like this:
-imgsnip-
please forgive the compression, it's automatic from the image host.
Gorgeous.
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]

Goinstadi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: December 23, 2009, 06:00:57 pm »

No problems in using my tower, but if I finish it sometime soon, please update the picture when I do.
Dwarf Fortress is Minesweeper with attitude.  In both games you are uncovering squares and just waiting for it to blow up in your face.  At least in DF you have tiny bearded and smiling avatars to torture on your descent to fun.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: December 24, 2009, 03:59:12 am »

A little more fun, I had. Kobold thief(s)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 04:01:38 am by CobaltKobold »
Tilesets

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #2125 on: December 24, 2009, 07:30:52 am »

hehe nice CobaltKobold :D

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: December 24, 2009, 03:03:19 pm »

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2188428/jadael_stones.zip

Put all my stones together into a mod. Unzip to /terrain/ and add JadaelWalls.xml and JadaelFloors.xml to the top of the terrain index file.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Still have to do ramps! I'm working on it!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 03:16:19 pm by Jadael »
~ T

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: December 24, 2009, 03:35:46 pm »

I don't think I could squee any harder. Your work is beautiful - I look forward to using it. Will edit this post when I test it.

EDIT: My only complaint is that obsidian and other materials that use the black appearance are too dark - I routinely embark on entire mountains made of obsidian, so it makes it slightly difficult to comprehend what I'm looking at. The rest of it is positively beautiful.

Showing obsidian:

EDIT2: I turn off the hidden terrain, and I can see exactly what veins and whatnot actually are - for example, I've spotted platinum in a block of olivine. It's like Reveal without actually 'cheating', per se.

Showing materials:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 03:55:57 pm by Winterbrass »
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: December 24, 2009, 04:25:33 pm »

#1 I agree with. I'll just adjust those a bit and update the link. Try re-downloading in about half an hour. #2 was on purpose. Being able to recognize materials by sight? Awesome.
~ T

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: December 24, 2009, 04:50:20 pm »

#1 I agree with. I'll just adjust those a bit and update the link. Try re-downloading in about half an hour. #2 was on purpose. Being able to recognize materials by sight? Awesome.
Oh, I wasn't complaining about #2 - I was thrilled. It's an amazing step forward. My OCD demands that I know where stuff is, because it would be a pain in my ass to find out that there was a platinum deposit where I wanted to put a workshop.
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 379