Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698888 times)

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread -
« Reply #2175 on: December 27, 2009, 05:19:49 pm »

That's unfortunate. Do you have any plans to make finished stone look a bit more finished? Would be nice if they looked like tiles or at least a bit smoother.
Yeah, that's what I was asking - it would be nice if they were patterned like the screenshot that you posted.
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: December 27, 2009, 05:21:21 pm »

That's unfortunate. Do you have any plans to make finished stone look a bit more finished? Would be nice if they looked like tiles or at least a bit smoother.

Also seems some of the colors are a bit off, as alunite is a light brown or yellowish color?

The smooth floors are already using just a flat shaded cube, they can't go smoother without just blurring them. I can make the rough floors rougher though:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This has just the tops of walls done, it will take me longer to do floors.

As for alunite.

Lots of stones in DF are colored very strangely compared to their real life counterparts. Kaolinite for example is bright red in DF, even though it's a type of limestone and pale white. My main goal with this pack was for boring, gray stones to look boring and gray, while the more interesting things like malachite, bauxite, and orpiment can stand out and be as unique as they are in real life.
~ T

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: December 27, 2009, 05:28:48 pm »

My thought was that you could detail the floors/walls to look similar to Mike Mayday's graphics pack - as in, the floor tiles are smoothed but also have a pattern engraved into them. It wouldn't have to be blindingly obvious - just enough to provide more differentiation.

The rough rock looking rougher also provides starker contrast, but I was personally hoping for the smoothed stone to look more refined.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2178 on: December 27, 2009, 05:31:55 pm »

Yeah I'd been hoping for smoothed stone to look like a finished floor, not slightly-less-rough-but-almost-indistinguishable-from-the-natural-rock floors.

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: December 27, 2009, 05:43:31 pm »

Well, I can switch the sheet around so that smooth floors use the 'engraved floor' sprite I made. And then eventually when Stonesense can tell between smoothed and engraved, remake the sprites. It'll still take a while, because the floors use a non-square grid which Photoshop can't do :\
~ T

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: December 27, 2009, 06:24:04 pm »

Well, I can switch the sheet around so that smooth floors use the 'engraved floor' sprite I made. And then eventually when Stonesense can tell between smoothed and engraved, remake the sprites. It'll still take a while, because the floors use a non-square grid which Photoshop can't do :\

well imo, with tiles this small you really cant use filters or effects to get a decent result. pixeling is really the only way to go.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: December 27, 2009, 06:38:31 pm »

...? In which way do you need the non-square grid? Oh, right, the thickfloors.

Pad to square, strip out when you're not working on it?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: December 27, 2009, 07:31:00 pm »

We should have different sprites for
(a) Rough natural stone
(b) Detailed natural stone (ie smoothed or engraved, we cant tell them apart)
and
(c) Constructed stone (we cant tell blocks from rough)

would it not be more effective to use separate sprites for engravings and overlay them onto the stone sprites?
we want a good variety of engravings, no? soo many hours of work otherwise, doing different engravings on every single rock type..

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: December 27, 2009, 07:39:41 pm »

would it not be more effective to use separate sprites for engravings and overlay them onto the stone sprites?
we want a good variety of engravings, no? soo many hours of work otherwise, doing different engravings on every single rock type..
We have sprites for engravings, but
we cant tell them apart

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: December 28, 2009, 04:01:55 am »

We have sprites for engravings, but
we cant tell them apart

This really bothers my mind - why? The game must tell them apart somehow. When running, there simply must be some record in RAM and the information must be stored in a save file.

Anyway, I would also recommend using simple sprite for smoothed walls/floors. Stone tiles for floors and simple engraved border for walls for example.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2185 on: December 28, 2009, 04:04:23 am »

This really bothers my mind - why? The game must tell them apart somehow. When running, there simply must be some record in RAM and the information must be stored in a save file.

Oh I'm sure it does. They don't yet know where that information is. If you think it's so easy, why don't you sort through the *millions* of bits the game records to memory and figure it out somehow.

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: December 28, 2009, 04:29:42 am »

Since DF isn't actively interfacing with Stonesense to send it information, Stonesense is using DFHack to look at DF's memory. And nothing in there is labelled. It's almost random noise at first glance. It's really amazing that we're able to do this at all; reading the memory of *other* programs isn't exactly a bread and butter programming technique.
~ T

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #2187 on: December 28, 2009, 06:02:04 am »

Yup, it's pretty amazing that we can do what we can do already, and it's all thanks to people like Peterix and Belal, they're the real wizards :)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: December 28, 2009, 09:47:20 am »

Oh I'm sure it does. They don't yet know where that information is. If you think it's so easy, why don't you sort through the *millions* of bits the game records to memory and figure it out somehow.

If I made it sound like easy feat, then I appologize. I did not know that it has not been done yet, it appeared to me, that some readers say it is impossible. Damn my poor language skills.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2189 on: December 28, 2009, 10:03:57 am »

Ah no, I'm sure it is possible. If the data is stored in memory, which it must be, then it could be read. We just need to know where it is and what format it is stored in.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 379