Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698683 times)

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread -
« Reply #2295 on: January 08, 2010, 09:57:24 pm »

It seems like if there were a way to tell where they were, there wouldn't be a problem. Just update whichever ones are visible. So I have to assume it's not that simple.
~ T

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: January 09, 2010, 12:30:25 am »

When you're breaking into someone else's memory, there's no signs to "address here to find what you're looking for easily!"

I wouldn't think it's possible to just grab the pertinent bits from the addresses without knowing exactly how they're stored, and that'd be Toady's-eyes-only kind of information.
Considering that the item vector will be completely different depending on what items you get, where they are, etc, I don't think it'd be easily possible to just grab locations even WITH Toady's help...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #2297 on: January 09, 2010, 08:39:32 am »

Hey guys, as some of you may or may not know, I've been in the process of moving and have been without proper net connections since new years... I'm working hard on fixing this so I can get back here swinging :)

Just wanted to say how freaking awesome it is to start seeing some items, and I can't wait to check the branch out!

On another note, we should be looking at stabilizing Stonesense Granite, that is removing the "RC2" tag. SO did anyone experience ANY problems with RC2? If so, please speak up now so we can iron them out before we lock down.

And lastly, we got some pretty exciting media exposure the other day: Half a page in PC Gamer UK! The printed version! The article listed the "top 10 must have mods", and we were #4 ;D
I was pretty floored when a friend of mine asked "isn't this the project you guys were working on?" and he showed me his copy. I will be uploading pics as soon as I get my phone, laptop and internet talking again :)

- Jonas at a friend's house

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: January 09, 2010, 12:10:42 pm »

You know what'd make Name Displays 100 times more practical, and also several times more awesome? If they displayed when you cursor-highlighted, clicked on, or moused over the Dwarf/ Dog/ Cave Swallowman, instead of as a toggleable textblock blob that displayed over everything. Moreover, if we set aside some screen real estate on the right side for text, we could start displaying information on the selected critter there, and mayhap even the Text Readout from DF.

Before we started doing anything like that though, we should have done proper GUI planning, which is easily something to postpone.

Also, having items display, even if a bit clunky now, is quite awesome. Huzzah!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 12:14:04 pm by Solifuge »

JayGOS

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: January 09, 2010, 06:57:53 pm »

i has just got into df. difficult to see what going on and my first computer was a dragon 32! Hopefully stonesense will help. BTW, i got into it thinking it was a rogue-like game...got a bit more than i bargained...'appy tho. :D

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: January 09, 2010, 07:04:45 pm »

...toggleable textblock blob that displayed over everything.

My two cents: I really like the textblock blob that is the current method if only for the fact I use Stonesense as a radar in adventure mode. Instead of searching 50 rooms in a dwarven lair I can easily scan through all the mob names and locate him, saving me an hour of room checking. At the very least I hope the current option always remains a choice.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: January 09, 2010, 07:22:32 pm »

Holding Tab (or setting an option) could serve the purpose of displaying all names, but the names get in the way of general navigation and sensibility, and tend to cover up most of the screen in heavily populated areas.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: January 09, 2010, 08:30:02 pm »

Nonsense, Names are perfectly fine as is!  I mean you can see every detail in this picture of a meeting hall!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

See? Everybody's names are perfectly visible.  Of course you can't tell where one name ends and another begins of course...or what profession they are...or the floor color...and I think theirs a Chohorse in there...

Joking aside yea finding some new way to handle the names may be handy.  But It might be difficult to code, and you would need to have the current system handy just in case you were looking for a particular creature in a populated but not packed area.  I can't think of a good way it could be handled though.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Shoehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: January 09, 2010, 09:55:06 pm »

Actually about names, Is it possible to change it so that it displays nicknames rather than first names? I tend to name every dorf I get... EVERY ONE.  :-\

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: January 10, 2010, 06:19:33 am »

If they displayed when you cursor-highlighted, clicked on, or moused over

Holding Tab (or setting an option) could serve the purpose of displaying all names,

Sounds like a good solution, no?

Edit: word missing, pft.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 08:35:35 am by dreiche2 »

Khalan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: January 10, 2010, 07:53:38 am »

Also an option to display dwarf names only / creature names only etc would be handy.

stummel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: January 12, 2010, 06:29:40 pm »

btw: is there a HUGE screenshot-selection from stonesense anywhere?

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #2307 on: January 13, 2010, 03:02:44 am »

btw: is there a HUGE screenshot-selection from stonesense anywhere?
No, but there should totally be one right?
Any ideas on where and how?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: January 13, 2010, 03:40:41 pm »

This thread has really died down...

how's it going jonas?

To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2309 on: January 14, 2010, 02:41:51 am »

Any plans on adding a zooming function? Some areas or forts could take up a ton of area on screen, but still rather really up close (even with expanding the resolution).

Could help with doing an overview of the fortress if you're keeping track of multiple things at once.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 379