Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 203992 times)

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1185 on: February 04, 2010, 07:52:38 pm »

that's just fucking brilliant!

question:  how do you get rid of water that just won't go away?

here's the situation: an open magma pipe was causing me no end of worry and a nasty imp set fire to... well all of the grass no less than 4 times and killed 2 dwarves.  Understandably I was displeased, and deigned to seal up the damn hellmouth with water.  It took a lot of time and construction of aqueducts, but I eventually succeeded in blocking the whole thing off.

here's the problem

I have no idea why, but my area is under a constant MONSOON-TSUNAMI-TORRENTIAL downpour; the worst sort of virtual storm I've ever seen, I'm talking water all fucking year coming down in endless buckets.  the enormous mire of water I pumped onto the pipe has taken up permanent residence on my map, never evaporating or getting any larger because rain keeps on fucking coming down like it's time for Urist McNoah to build an ark.

I've considered building an enormous roof over the mire I've created and just waiting it out until it evaporates.  Any other thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:59:35 pm by Odd!x »
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: February 04, 2010, 08:03:52 pm »

The best part for me is that the game doesn't track the created obsidian until you mine it out and turn it into rocks. The game slows down once there's tons of stuff in the stocks screen, and megaconstructions require tons of materials.

About the destruction of buildings-- I mention that because masonry skill might affect it. Something does, anyway. I have a king around who's always last off the deconstruction site even when everyone rushes there all at once.

btw, I'm a she.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: February 04, 2010, 08:13:15 pm »

that's just fucking brilliant!

question:  how do you get rid of water that just won't go away?

here's the situation: an open magma pipe was causing me no end of worry and a nasty imp set fire to... well all of the grass no less than 4 times and killed 2 dwarves.  Understandably I was displeased, and deigned to seal up the damn hellmouth with water.  It took a lot of time and construction of aqueducts, but I eventually succeeded in blocking the whole thing off.

here's the problem

I have no idea why, but my area is under a constant MONSOON-TSUNAMI-TORRENTIAL downpour; the worst sort of virtual storm I've ever seen, I'm talking water all fucking year coming down in endless buckets.  the enormous mire of water I pumped onto the pipe has taken up permanent residence on my map, never evaporating or getting any larger because rain keeps on fucking coming down like it's time for Urist McNoah to build an ark.

I've considered building an enormous roof over the mire I've created and just waiting it out until it evaporates.  Any other thoughts?

Dwarven holepunch. Use a tile of floor balanced on a support in conjunction with a dug cavern. Use the floor tile to punch a hole into the cavern, where the water will flow.
After that, you can do whatever you want with the stuff. If you have a bottomless pit, that's ideal. Pour it all in there.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: February 04, 2010, 08:13:40 pm »

btw, I'm a she.

My previous post is fixed and all sarcasm in my edit aside, I do apologize for that typo. 

In other news, I have a spoilered type question relating to Kings and Cotton Candy....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 04, 2010, 08:27:15 pm »

My previous post is fixed and all sarcasm in my edit aside, I do apologize for that typo.
Hee, nice edit. I don't really mind, it's just that if I'm going to stick around somewhere I'd rather... I dunno, avoid potential misunderstandings. Also, this forum doesn't have a sexist tone, so I'm fine with being known as female.

In other news, I have a spoilered type question relating to Kings and Cotton Candy....
It's the announcement that seems to do it. You can break into the ### and still have them turn up.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: February 04, 2010, 08:40:09 pm »

@ skorpion:

wouldn't channeling a tile have the same effect?  I admit it's less dwarvenly to not involve constructions smashing into things, but it's far more practical to channel things.

at any rate, the problem with diverting the the water anywhere (including downward) is that it's 1/7 and each square of water keeps to itself, but is prevented from evaporating because water keeps pouring onto it from the rain.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: February 04, 2010, 08:47:13 pm »

at any rate, the problem with diverting the the water anywhere (including downward) is that it's 1/7 and each square of water keeps to itself, but is prevented from evaporating because water keeps pouring onto it from the rain.

Rain only refills muddy pools.
It may stop water from evaporating (I don't know), but unless your problem is inside a muddy pool, then the rain won't actually add water-content.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: February 04, 2010, 08:52:17 pm »

Oh goodness, the guy in a mood wants metal bars(which I have) and plant fiber clo-
It cuts off in the side bar thing...
Where do I get (I'm assuming) plant fiber cloth?

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 04, 2010, 08:55:47 pm »

Yes.  Make pig tail cloth or the like, not silk.  He wants cloth that has been loomed, thread won't do.
I'd do that, but I don't think dwarves have words for "fair" or "logical".

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: February 04, 2010, 09:00:07 pm »

Yes.  Make pig tail cloth or the like, not silk.  He wants cloth that has been loomed, thread won't do.
And what workshop and materials does that require?

BlueFireLady

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: February 04, 2010, 09:00:31 pm »

can you fish from water irrigated from an under ground river?

Stabwound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: February 04, 2010, 09:03:02 pm »

This is a dumb one, but I can't find the answer anywhere and it's hard to search for.

When you get an error message that doesn't automatically zoom you to the spot it's at, is there a way to do that manually? I have about 100 messages in a row about not being able to store a corpse in a casket, but I have no idea where this corpse is.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: February 04, 2010, 09:05:40 pm »

And what workshop and materials does that require?

for plants:
farm plants in a farm -> grow pig-tails
have pig-tail only stockpile
get threads from grown and harvested pig tails at Farmer's Workshop
spin thread into cloth at loom (this can be set to automatically happen)

watch out, looms can cause spider-web harvesting sprees on certain maps. sometimes this can cause Fun.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

BlueFireLady

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: February 04, 2010, 09:06:15 pm »

you should be able to look up the corpse in you (u) unit list

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: February 04, 2010, 09:10:46 pm »

@ flaede:

http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae307/oddix/random%20pictures/?action-view&current=221-spr.jpg

the first picture is autumn in 221.  the second is spring in 221.

I live in a fucking wet place.  all of my dwarves are always wet.  we haven't seen the sun since we embarked.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 09:15:13 pm by Odd!x »
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 181