Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204677 times)

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1530 on: February 14, 2010, 04:18:17 pm »

Uh..

Okay. I just had a human seige arrive, which I was not expecting. I was expecting them to bring metal bars.

What the hell?

Or does this have something to do with the accidental death of the liason last year?
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: February 14, 2010, 04:21:19 pm »

Or does this have something to do with the accidental death of the liason last year?

That would do it. Other civs don't like it when their emissaries die on your map.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: February 14, 2010, 04:22:20 pm »

Liaisons and such dying does tend to upset friendly civs. If relations aren't already very good, that may well be the reason they declared war on you.

Kill enough of them, and they'll send a diplomat to sue for peace. If the diplomat's dead too, tough cheese.
The fish are watching.

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: February 14, 2010, 04:34:49 pm »

Drat. Oh well. And I'd been trying so hard to start a war with the elves. One (minor I thought) accident and I'm at war with the humans instead. :P
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: February 14, 2010, 04:40:44 pm »

I was expecting them to bring metal bars.

Which they did; I mean, they did come bearing iron equipment, right?

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: February 14, 2010, 04:49:59 pm »

can water be sold by caravans?  :-\

Because I'm on a map which had 2 little ponds, evaporated now and there is ZERO square of water now...

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: February 14, 2010, 05:26:38 pm »

Sadly, no. Toady said in DF talk #7 today that that kind of stuff might come someday, but it isn't in now. The best thing to do I guess would be make sure you don't run out of booze and hope it rains.

Questions:
1) My dogs occasionally die in my own falling rock traps. Why is this? =[
2) I have a nice tower cap farm. However, the tower caps sure are taking their time growing. How long til they become big enough to cut down?

JamPet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: February 14, 2010, 05:38:36 pm »

Friendlies and neutrals trigger your traps if they fall unconscious in them.  From being knocked out in cave ins, in battle, extreme drowsiness, cave spider venom or such.

Tower cap trees take a year and a half or so to grow to chopping size according to the wiki.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: February 14, 2010, 05:40:36 pm »

1) A yes, that'd explain. Ok thanks
2) ARGH I read that article but managed to completely miss that. Sorry, and thanks!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: February 14, 2010, 06:20:55 pm »

Do liaisons trigger pressure plates at all?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1540 on: February 14, 2010, 06:27:44 pm »

2) ARGH I read that article but managed to completely miss that. Sorry, and thanks!
Also, make sure your dwarves aren't walking on them.  Dwarves stepping on young tower-caps can turn them into dead young tower-caps, which don't grow anymore but still take up space in your farm.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: February 14, 2010, 06:41:36 pm »

On the topic of underground tree farms, does flooding destroy saplings? You don't generally need to re-irrigate your farms unless you make a mistake, but it still wouldn't hurt to know.

EDIT:
Grasstrample:0 overrides trampling of saplings as well, right? I'm using that setting on most animals and humanoids, including dwarves and invaders, because having grasslands turn into deserts at the currently implemented rate was fucking ridiculous. I have not yet, however, determined what that does to saplings, but it should keep them from being trampled.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 07:40:49 pm by assimilateur »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: February 14, 2010, 07:33:52 pm »

Sadly, no. Toady said in DF talk #7 today that that kind of stuff might come someday, but it isn't in now. The best thing to do I guess would be make sure you don't run out of booze and hope it rains.

Questions:
1) My dogs occasionally die in my own falling rock traps. Why is this? =[
2) I have a nice tower cap farm. However, the tower caps sure are taking their time growing. How long til they become big enough to cut down?

1. They're injured and keep passing out, most likely.
2. Year and a half, but they will only mature IF:
- They aren't killed by traffic.
- There's nothing on top of them, like a rock, or spider webs.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: February 14, 2010, 09:31:27 pm »

On the topic of underground tree farms, does flooding destroy saplings? You don't generally need to re-irrigate your farms unless you make a mistake, but it still wouldn't hurt to know.

Judging by my experience with my obsidian farms:

Saplings do not die under any amount of water but they will not mature if they're constantly under 7/7 water.

I have several grown tower caps at the end of my water feed where the water regularly goes below 7/7 as it fills the 10x10 water drop. The saplings further back haven't matured despite several years passing since I drained the water supply to fix a mistake. The shrubs seem to die, though.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: February 14, 2010, 10:00:36 pm »

Does anyone know if there's a compiled list of all of the creatures' reference name? As in, not "grizzly bear," but "BEAR_GRIZZLY," the stuff after the [CREATURE] tag in a creature entry, the stuff the game references if it wants to use a creature as an entity or, more importantly for my purposes, what one would use if they wanted to make a creature's parts part of a reaction?

I'm wanting to expand my animal-hide bedding mod, but going through the creature list entry-by-entry to make sure everything's name is actually right is very tedious, especially with some of the weirder ones like giant eagles, siamangs, and bilous.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 181