Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204495 times)

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1710 on: February 18, 2010, 06:23:55 pm »

1:How many squares are one z-level of embark tile?
2: how many squares in that single z-level can I dig through?

These don't make any sense.

Ari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: February 18, 2010, 08:41:22 pm »

This is more technical, but how can I increase the resolution and grid count properly? Every time I mess with it, my input times are laggy or do not register, and the screen is warped. I followed the wiki page for technical tricks, but I do not understand the grid count posted at the bottom of the page.
Easiest thing to do is to switch to one of the new d* versions, which support window resizing and zooming (among other things).  40d17 is the newest, but I hear it has some stability issues, so you might want to go for 40d16 instead.

I have the newest version. Guess the slowdown is just part of it. Was playing Mayday's custom tileset through the tutorial. I just like the vanilla look better.

Atlar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: February 18, 2010, 09:53:21 pm »

I think he wants to know how many z level one can go up and down from the level of embark. At least thats what I would like to know  ;D

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: February 18, 2010, 10:00:58 pm »

15 down from the highest level that is solid all the way across your embark. I don't know how high it goes from the highest point of land on your embark, but I assume that is constant as well.

The number of z-levels is thus dependant on the range of elevations in your embark. I have one file where I embarked on the side of a named Mountain with 160 z-levels.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Atlar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: February 18, 2010, 10:25:07 pm »

Thanks, though i would have prefered to read "as deep as you like, mate! But beware of the demons in hell!" or so...

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: February 18, 2010, 10:32:55 pm »

Thanks, though i would have prefered to read "as deep as you like, mate! But beware of the demons in hell!" or so...
Such a thing is coming, eventually. Next version, the underground limit is supposedly being increased to 50+ z-levels, with levels becoming increasingly dangerous as you dig deeper, as well as more rewarding (supposedly there's going to be magma more-or-less on every map if you dig deep enough for it). It's not going to be truly infinite yet, but the underground is going to be much more interesting.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: February 18, 2010, 11:29:01 pm »

My question be simple enough.

If I poor magma in a 4/7 or higher column ontop of a up/down stair case then poor magma on it. Will the stairs disapear or if you mine out the obsidian made will the stair still be there incased?
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: February 19, 2010, 01:06:39 am »

My question is simple enough.

If I pour magma in a 4/7 or higher column ontop of a up/down staircase then pour water on it, will the stairs disappear, or if you mine out the obsidian made will the stairs still be there encased?

The stairs will be destroyed, though your miners can just dig an up/down staircase and it will be just as if they'd dug around the old stone staircase. It will then be an obsidian staircase.
The sigs topic:

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: February 19, 2010, 01:18:03 am »

Oh cmon.

Say you embark into an area that is one tile wide on your embark screen. after embarking, you are shown a small area  that is ground level of your map.
My first question is HOW many squares that area is.
My second is if you were to dig downward 1 level, HOW many spaces could you dig into?

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: February 19, 2010, 01:42:52 am »

1 - of used socks and smelly pants... 

What happen when the dorfs have dropped used clothing... Will they move naked?

If I manufacture clothes, will wear it, but will they own it or I own it?

My point is to know if they will again drop the used stuff on the ground, while owning it, thus preventing me some clean up. I know at least they don't own armor, so perhaps I can send them naked under their armor in battle :)

2 - Ultra-compression storage:

If I want to store things in one tile, for example 50 bins of goods, would this work?:
ask to dump the bins all in one square, then claim them and put under a square of 'stockpile  goods'

3- Siege exploits
I don't want to exploit the game on siege. So... If I dig a moat with a retractable bridge, then raise the bridge... Nobody can reach me, right? I would call that an exploit. Or the besiegers can still do something, like filling a bit of the moat to pass? I would hope they do that. I think that Stronghold was far less exploitable than DF on this aspect of the game...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 01:55:51 am by vorpal+5 »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: February 19, 2010, 04:12:21 am »

This is more technical, but how can I increase the resolution and grid count properly?
If you use the latest versions, you can:
1) mouse-drag the window edge to change its size.
2) use mouse wheel to zoom out.
3) press ctlr-F10 and use mouse wheel to zoom in (it changes modes)

There's plenty of trees on my embark site, yet no river, and it rarely rains..
Does this mean there SHOULD be an underground river somewhere?
Or will I just have to do without water?
There's no way of knowing whether you have an underground river at your site unless you checked with the site finder on embark
Well there is a way to know if there's NO underground features.

Currently all the main features (except for rare magma pools in plains) are in mountain regions. So if you haven't got a mountain as a part of your embark rectangle, you don't have any water.
  If you have a mountain tile or a few in your embark rectangle, the features like UG water/pool may be only under those tiles, so it limits the area of exploration drastically.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: February 19, 2010, 04:17:43 am »

1 - of used socks and smelly pants... 
They own the things they intentionally get for themselves, such as clothing items and trinkets and stuff. They don't own items you assign to them: armor/weapons/tools. They happily run around in rotten clothes because Toady One remove the unhappy thought from that, and once the economy kicks in, they buy clothes and store them in their cabinets. At least I haven't got a single clothing item to rot away before the economy starts.

2 - Ultra-compression storage:
This is called a "quantum storage" trick, many people do it a lot, i.e. I do it with my craftsdwarf's workshop: I drop stone from a z+1 on a tile next to craftsdwarf's workshop, and he always gets TONS of stone and he doesn't have to run to get it. I place mason's workshop nearby so they share the pile.

3- Siege exploits
Currently you can do it easily. Improved sieges are in the future development plans, Toady One just can't do everything at once :P. For now I don't use this trick anymore, but some mods require it.

You should see a Beefmo's animation about it:

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 04:21:53 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: February 19, 2010, 04:22:18 am »

Deon, I really don't think that they are exclusively found in mountain regions. The only feature exclusively found in mountain biomes is HFS.

I've found underground pools, rivers, and magma pipes in non-mountain biomes. I don't know where you are getting your information or how you can explain that. There is certainly no guarantee that he will not find any one of those features in any biome if he looks for them.

If you would like an embark file with underground rivers in the tundra, magma in abundance at the seaside, and aquifers under a glacier I'd be happy to oblige. Certainly the default settings tend to produce certain configurations, and some biomes and formations are likely to occur together. But less common combinations are not impossible.
The sigs topic:

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: February 19, 2010, 04:24:47 am »

Deon, I really don't think that they are exclusively found in mountain regions. The only feature exclusively found in mountain biomes is HFS.

Show me a screenshot of ANY underground river NOT in a mountain biome, then... Well, try it :).

As I told, magma pools and pipes are everywhere, but rivers/pools/chasms/bottomless pits are mountain features. I'd suggest you check it out by yourself before you start another forum myth :P.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 04:33:58 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: February 19, 2010, 04:31:08 am »

And by the way, it's not the first time you try to show a discredit upon a right information, so I frankly ask you to try to search the root of a problem before you try to continue the confusion next time.

Now, I don't trust the wiki 100% but I've experienced a lot of things so THESE are right:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Underground_river
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Underground_pool

So sir, please, next time you're confused, don't make it into a bandwagon.
The previous case had you stating that "doesn't care about anything anymore" makes dwarves into alcoholics, and it looked like a lot of people believed your wrong conclusion.

P.S. If you couldn't extract the information from the above links (just in case, I don't try to be funny or to insult you), this is the right info:
Quote from: Deon
Currently all the main features (except for rare magma pools in plains) are in mountain regions. So if you haven't got a mountain as a part of your embark rectangle, you don't have any water.
  If you have a mountain tile or a few in your embark rectangle, the features like UG water/pool may be only under those tiles, so it limits the area of exploration drastically.

The very promising feature of the next release is the avaliability of non-mountain features which we were waiting for since the move from 2d to 3d DF.

P.P.S.
Quote from: Architect
I've found underground pools, rivers, and magma pipes in non-mountain biomes.
Now, let's return to you stating that you have a prove of a common fact being wrong. I really want to see the save of the game with an underground river as a non-mountain feature. It sounds as a bug because nobody else saw it, so please upload it to http://dffd.wimbli.com/ and let us check. I'll pm Toady One and ask how did it happen, it's the only good way to get fast real answers.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 04:39:26 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 181