Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 203990 times)

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1740 on: February 19, 2010, 09:32:27 am »

The only thing I can suggest if you're not into cheating is the Water Therapy.

Part of me wants to try out the water therapy concept on this guy but I'm unsure as to whether it would even work with an amputee in the current version. I guess I could further Dwarven Science but since it'll be redundant once the new version is out there doesn't seem much point trying if it's not going to work.
I may just let him die. My fort is at 76 population now & the longer I can stave off sieges the better as the Goblin Ambushes turn up with 3 squads at a time now (usually with a couple of humans & the odd dwarf in their squads which is a first for me). My marksdwarves can handle them OK & I just got a Legendary Armorer from a Strange Mood so I can start pumping out Steel armour for them all (hoping for a Legendary Weaponsmith soon so I can replace their low quality Copper Crossbows with Masterful Steel Crossbows & Masterful Steel Bolts for massive damage).
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: February 19, 2010, 09:37:54 am »

The missing limbs will never grow back, but if it's just his foot then he *might* get tough enough to work.  Probably not worth it though, I think he'll crawl everywhere anyway.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: February 19, 2010, 09:42:43 am »

Didn't that whole water therapy experiment come to the conclusion that buffing up like that would never - or at least not within a reasonable time span - help an amputee go back to a normal life?

Glod Glodsson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Milk and Cheese
« Reply #1743 on: February 19, 2010, 10:50:39 am »

Hey,

I am trying to start a food based economy, for the first time, and decided to bring a cow and bull with me from the embark. I have the bull and cow neatly stashed away in a stable:
Code: [Select]
OOO
OcX
OOO
ObX
OOO

O=Wall
X=Door
b=Bull
c=Cow

each tied with some rope and the door set to not allow pets to pass.
Now I have finally gotten the farms up and running and thought I might get on with the milking... only the farmer workshop says there is nothing to milk... any ideas?
DF Wisdom: Just because Urist killed a dragon bare handed, while in his birthday suit, does not mean he does not enjoy a cat meat bruschetta served with a keg of strawberry wine.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: February 19, 2010, 10:57:38 am »

Cows can't be milked in the current version. That's because of the weird mechanics of milking that require the dwarf to hold the milked creature in one hand and a bucket in the other. Accordingly, that's only possible with vermin (namely purring maggots), while cows can't be picked up that way.

Of course, your cows are still gonna be good for a meat, leather and bones industry.

Glod Glodsson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: February 19, 2010, 11:07:12 am »

Cows can't be milked in the current version. That's because of the weird mechanics of milking that require the dwarf to hold the milked creature in one hand and a bucket in the other. Accordingly, that's only possible with vermin (namely purring maggots), while cows can't be picked up that way.

Of course, your cows are still gonna be good for a meat, leather and bones industry.

Drats! where are the miniature cows when you need them... or perhaps some form of mechanical claw and bucket apparatus...hmmm... :P
thanks.
DF Wisdom: Just because Urist killed a dragon bare handed, while in his birthday suit, does not mean he does not enjoy a cat meat bruschetta served with a keg of strawberry wine.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: February 19, 2010, 11:20:06 am »

Say you embark into an area that is one tile wide on your embark screen. after embarking, you are shown a small area  that is ground level of your map.
My first question is HOW many squares that area is.
My second is if you were to dig downward 1 level, HOW many spaces could you dig into?

One embark tile is 48x48 tiles on the game map.  There are at least 15 z-levels down from "ground" level (however that's calculated), and an arbitrary number up -- I'm not sure how many on a flat map, but in mountains you can easily get several dozens.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 11:24:33 am by sproingie »
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: February 19, 2010, 11:20:36 am »

You can make custom reactions to have a milk industry. It's not the same, but it lets you play the part.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: February 19, 2010, 11:23:54 am »

Could you expand on this please? The only thing I can think about is quite painful :P. It would turn cow chunks into cheese.

Btw, how do you plan to make reactions which produce actual milk? You cannot use buckets in the smelter.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: February 19, 2010, 11:29:57 am »

Btw, how do you plan to make reactions which produce actual milk? You cannot use buckets in the smelter.
That is true. I know that liquids can be dumped out of containers, and they will still exist as usable objects. It's worth a shot.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: February 19, 2010, 11:55:46 am »

I am loving the newbies DF tutorial but I would like to start in the same place with my own embark. Is there a way to tell exactly where you are on the world map from the save and start there without the previous embark already standing there?

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: February 19, 2010, 12:08:08 pm »

I have a question regarding Giant Eagles, I managed to buy a couple off the Elves and got a message that some giant eagle hatchlings had been born but I can't find them anywhere in my units list, animals list, cage add list or just looking round on the map. How do they work exactly? Does this mean the female has laid eggs and I have to wait for them to hatch? Or perhaps a bug that they didn't appear?

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: February 19, 2010, 12:25:20 pm »

Stuck Dwarf

The dwarf on the wall don't want to move... First, he was a civilian and did not respond to any order (he was with 'no job', not 'on break'). Then I switched him to soldier with order to stand down in barrack, he don't move either.

I don't see how he can think the path is blocked, really...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1753 on: February 19, 2010, 12:27:02 pm »

You can make custom reactions to have a milk industry. It's not the same, but it lets you play the part.
You can also create custom reactions to make animals at the smelter, but they come out as verimin-size.  I wonder if custom created vermin-sized cows are milkable?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1754 on: February 19, 2010, 12:29:07 pm »

The dwarf on the wall don't want to move... First, he was a civilian and did not respond to any order (he was with 'no job', not 'on break'). Then I switched him to soldier with order to stand down in barrack, he don't move either.
I'm not sure from looking at the screenshot, but it looks like there's no stair he can take down.  To move downward he needs both a down stair on his level and an up stair on the level below.  It appears that he only has a stair on the level below and not one on his Z-level.  This would be a case where Stonesense isn't giving you an accurate picture - it looks perfectly traversable from the Stonesense shot, but DF disagrees.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 181