Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204539 times)

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1890 on: February 28, 2010, 02:14:10 am »

I believe liquids just drop, sadly. :(

Thought as much. Was hoping for a magma throwing device, but if it was possible I figure I would have heard about it by now.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: February 28, 2010, 02:28:56 am »

It's called a magma cannon. I could be mistaken, but there are blueprints on the wiki if I'm not.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: February 28, 2010, 04:43:59 am »

I'm wondering: Can fortifications melt in magma? I heard walls, ramps, floors and stair are unaffected, but fortifications? Would it matter whether they were built or dug out?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: February 28, 2010, 04:44:35 am »

They can be, it doesn't matter which.

They are constructions, which means no magma power.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: February 28, 2010, 04:46:22 am »

People use fortifications to filter creatures out of their magma supply all of the time; it's constantly recommended and bandied about the forum. I've never had cause to test it myself, but judging by that fact alone I would say no, they don't melt.
The sigs topic:

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: February 28, 2010, 06:07:32 am »

I filter all of my magma operations with carved fortifications, and I've yet to have any problems arise.  When I (k) over where my fortification was, the fortification is still there, albeit warm and covered entirely with magma.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: February 28, 2010, 12:26:35 pm »

Only if there's a well over it. Dwarves drinking directly from a water source won't deplete it.

They do deplete it if they are taking buckets to other dwarves.

Oh yes, my bad, it's not the well that's the problem but the bucket.

I don't know about direct drinking.

That doesn't deplete a water source. I know this from experience.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: February 28, 2010, 12:42:34 pm »

No constructions ever melt, or are anyway damaged, ever.  The only exception is the Remove Construction task, for which the dwarves must perform an eldritch dance which exceeds the power of even magma and clowns.  Or maybe they apply grog.

Carved fortifications are also invulnerable to all forces great and small.  Unless of course you have a pick, probably a copper one.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: February 28, 2010, 12:58:52 pm »

forgotten items!

I don't quite understand, is it a known problem? Sometime I have items left on the floor of my fortress (say an unforbidden bucket) which is never sent back to the furniture stockpile, even with 8 haulers idle in the dining room. This happen for various things left on the floor, and baring dumping them nobody will pickup the stuff to put it in the proper stockpile? Have you seen that? And yes, I'm pretty sure everything is ok: not forbiden, stockpile has room, patch is ok, idle haulers...

(2) I tried to sort my weapons and armors by category, but they are already in bins, and nobody will move them to others stockpiles... Is it normal?

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: February 28, 2010, 01:05:27 pm »

I don't really know anything about the first one, but as for the 'sorting weapons' one: Set the stockpiles you want to move the stuff to to take from the stockpile they're already in (q over the stockpile, then t, then move the X over the stockpile you want to take from and hit Enter.) They should get on it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: February 28, 2010, 01:08:20 pm »

2: Dwarves won't generally move things from bins onto empty stockpiles. They prefer to put them into other bins on the new stockpile, or move the whole bin. This is to help keep things organized and simplify item tracking where possible. They also won't remove anything from a correct stockpile unless they have a good reason, such as the Take From order Particleman pointed out. You can also disable items in a stockpile and they will be moved to a correct stockpile if one is available.

I don't know what is up with your other problem, but it sounds fishy. I can only tell you that it is undoubtedly some detail that you have gotten wrong, like the work orders {o}, hauling jobs, paths, stockpiles, or something else. The game is so complex that most players have to constantly deal with little frustrations like that when we get details a little wrong. You can find the problem if you work through the possibilities carefully.
The sigs topic:

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: February 28, 2010, 02:15:48 pm »

hum, this is embarassing, my only furniture stockpile was indeed a good stockpile.  ;D

I'll whip myself a bit now.

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: February 28, 2010, 02:46:37 pm »

The impertinent Vegetation has defaced a "thing", wat does that mean ? cause i have no clue
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: February 28, 2010, 03:07:18 pm »

The impertinent Vegetation has defaced a "thing", wat does that mean ? cause i have no clue

Impertinent vegetation? If you're talking about what I think you are, then that's a damn strange way of saying "your workers".

If I understood you correctly, you're dealing with so-called art-defacement. When you dig out (or possibly pave over) a tile that's been masterfully engraved, it's gonna say "your workers have defaced a {dwarf name}". That's like saying something along the lines of "a Picasso (painting)", only it's gonna be "a Cog Lorbamfastam (engraving)" in the case of DF.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1904 on: February 28, 2010, 03:12:22 pm »

A plant has grown on a muddied engraved floor tile, destroying a masterwork engraving.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 181