Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204530 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1875 on: February 27, 2010, 09:55:02 am »

strange problem...

I created an underground pond that I filled a bit with buckets of water from the outside. But the water disappears progressively! How can it be, I believed that underground, ponds don't evaporate? Or I must reach a certain level of water to do so, like 4/7 or more?

You hit the nail on the head: water evaporates until it reaches a certain level. I think a safe level is 3/7, i.e. 1-2/7 will evaporate.

Also, if you are using as a water source then it will be depleted over time. Be sure your dwarves aren't drinking your pool away unless that is what you want!
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: February 27, 2010, 10:11:58 am »

I love playing pocket worlds and I had some questions about how my settlement affects world populations. 

1. When I receive migrants, does that number of of new migrants get subtracted from the Mountain Home from wince they came?  The mountain home only has 50 dwarves...

2. The goblin tower has like 13 goblins and 2 captured dwarves, does this low pop ultimately affect the size and frequency of attacks I will receive.  Like if 5 goblins attack will that mean there are 5 less goblins at the goblin tower?

I've read that migrant and invader populations get "spawned" out of thin air, i.e. they don't reduce "real" world populations.

That stands to reason, really, because otherwise getting high-population fortresses would be difficult. Also, I've sort of verified this in the case of invader pops. If the "world_sites_and_pops.txt" files you can export are to be believed, then there has been not even the slightest reduction of goblin (as well as human, elf, kobold, cyclops, minotaur and giant [I made all of them into hostile civilizations]) after several years of sieges in my last fort.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: February 27, 2010, 11:19:37 am »

2/7 water will not evaporate, but 1/7 will. Same goes for magma. The thing is, if there's a single tile of 1/7 water in a large pool of 2/7 water, it will eventually (albeit very slowly) all disappear.

The ideal solution is to either feed your cistern/pool/whatever from an infinite water source, or just keep your cistern/pool/whatever small enough that you can reliably feed it without worrying about evaporation. I also like to dig a single tile channel in the pool, directly above where my well will go, to ensure that it's always being fed by a 7/7 tile if at all.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: February 27, 2010, 12:26:17 pm »

2/7 water will not evaporate, but 1/7 will. Same goes for magma. The thing is, if there's a single tile of 1/7 water in a large pool of 2/7 water, it will eventually (albeit very slowly) all disappear.

The ideal solution is to either feed your cistern/pool/whatever from an infinite water source, or just keep your cistern/pool/whatever small enough that you can reliably feed it without worrying about evaporation. I also like to dig a single tile channel in the pool, directly above where my well will go, to ensure that it's always being fed by a 7/7 tile if at all.

Thank you both for the reply. I also saw something about ponds filling, can you confirm: a channel can only be used at a single time by a dwarf, and by single time, I means even if he is en route toward the source, the channel can't be used to drop a bucket through it by another dwarf.

About siege and caravan:

Is a siege preventing any caravan arrival, even if the said siege is made of a few humans sitting idly in a corner of a map?

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: February 27, 2010, 05:12:26 pm »

I'm currently giving an unfortunate swordsdwarf the Water Treatment to bring up her stamina, and while I hadn't thought about it before, it does seem that only one dwarf at a time will dump a bucket of water on her head. (there's only one open channel to her room)
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: February 27, 2010, 05:16:26 pm »

Can things float on water?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Comrade Ankh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: February 27, 2010, 05:29:19 pm »

So, I've finally picked a practical goal, and I'm working to get the king to relocate the Mountainhome. When I get bored and abandon afterward, what happens to the kingdom? Does everyone scramble from the capital, or is this a special case where things hold together?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: February 27, 2010, 05:50:07 pm »

Also, if you are using as a water source then it will be depleted over time. Be sure your dwarves aren't drinking your pool away unless that is what you want!
Only if there's a well over it. Dwarves drinking directly from a water source won't deplete it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1883 on: February 27, 2010, 06:00:01 pm »

Can things float on water?
No, buoyancy doesn't seem to be implemented at the moment.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: February 27, 2010, 06:17:42 pm »

Aw, my boat will have to be connected by a floor tile.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: February 27, 2010, 08:09:45 pm »

Only if there's a well over it. Dwarves drinking directly from a water source won't deplete it.

They do deplete it if they are taking buckets to other dwarves. I don't know about direct drinking.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: February 27, 2010, 11:11:53 pm »

Aw, my boat will have to be connected by a floor tile.

Nope, just turn cave-ins off in the init.txt.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: February 28, 2010, 12:26:35 am »

Thanks...

My computer is now broken with the save file...nooooooo!

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: February 28, 2010, 01:21:27 am »

Quick question -

Raising drawbridges. They fling things that are on them, i got that much.

Do they fling liquids such as magma/water as well? Or do they just drop?

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
« Reply #1889 on: February 28, 2010, 02:00:51 am »

I believe liquids just drop, sadly. :(
Il Palazzo: "Urist, quick, grab your ax! There's a troll rampaging through the decimal conversion chambers!"
melomel: DF is like OCD candy, isn't it? existent: No, DF is like the stranger in the trench coat offering the candy.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 181