Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 203983 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1920 on: March 01, 2010, 05:23:31 pm »

you can just remove the meeting hall altogether.

This would make them take breaks or otherwise idle where they worked, right? Which would in the case of fighters be in the barracks. Brilliant.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: March 01, 2010, 05:34:54 pm »

Actually if there's no designated meeting area, they'll tend to hang out in thier own bedrooms. At least from what I've observed.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: March 01, 2010, 05:40:46 pm »

Actually if there's no designated meeting area, they'll tend to hang out in thier own bedrooms. At least from what I've observed.
And if there is no meeting area the world becomes their hangout!

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: March 01, 2010, 06:55:45 pm »

Question: Well, my forts tend not to survive to the point in which the economy kicks in and this is the first time I've see this message: Mayor has changed the guild wages. What does that mean? Did he like change what each job pays? If so, how can I track the pays of the jobs?
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: March 02, 2010, 02:07:01 am »

Creatures in pit

I have yet to try that... if I dump into a pit hostile creatures, I guess there is no easy mean to retrieve them safely? I would have for example to create an area with cage trap so they get imprisoned again, if I wanted to retrieve them?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: March 02, 2010, 02:34:26 am »

Creatures in pit

I have yet to try that... if I dump into a pit hostile creatures, I guess there is no easy mean to retrieve them safely? I would have for example to create an area with cage trap so they get imprisoned again, if I wanted to retrieve them?

Well, you'd have to do that for a guaranteed recapture with any sort of timeliness. If you have a lot of angry critters, you can use the same recapture room for them all: A drawbridge that lowers over a channel and raises away from where the hostile creature is free so they don't destroy it when it's up and so it won't accidentally crush them when it lowers since the creature won't be able to stand on the open space the drawbridge closes on. Behind the drawbridge, put a 1-tile hallway with at least one cage trap (more are just for careful's sake) and put a chained animal 2 tiles behind it so that the hostile creature will immediately path towards the animal and hit the cage trap. Due to the chain's placement, the animal will never be able to interrupt that first cage trap and will thus never get hurt nor accidentally get hurt and fall on the cage trap, causing it to be trapped while the latter goes free.

I was actually just messing around with a setup like this the other night... I put the chain too close to the cage trap so that the puppy was able to stand on it, and when the fire imp attacked it, the puppy fell down and caged itself. The imp was then free to run around my fort lighting things on fire. The fort in question was outdoors and largely consisted of a single formerly-grassy z-level.

EricStratton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: March 02, 2010, 10:22:44 am »

Question:

Yesterday my dwarves stopped hauling food and drink*.  Food is withering on my farms.  My fishery, still, and kitchen are all overflowing with food.  I have several food piles which have space left.  I made new food piles into which my dwarves will put one barrel (in the upper left corner) and that's it.

My furnished goods pile has a bunch of empty barrels.

Via the stock menu I verified my barrels aren't forbidden.

I have a 30 idle dwarves most of which have all the hauling skills.

I don't understand what I did to cause this.  It doesn't appear to be a huge deal as my dwarves are still eating and drinking but food items seem to be rotting a lot more often now and it's annoying.

Anyone have any suggestions?

* I've noticed my dwarves haven't put some empty cages back into the Animal pile where they normally keep empty cages.  I'm not sure if that's related or not.

ETA: I don't know if it matters but I'm using the Mac version of DF 0.28.181.40d.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 10:26:18 am by EricStratton »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: March 02, 2010, 12:04:41 pm »

Possibilities:

Your dwarves have too many hauling labors. You should have a few dwarves that haul nothing but food.

You have told dwarves to ignore food: {o}, {f}.

There is no path between the food to be stored, the dwarves, and the stockpiles (very unlikely given your description).

You have "Dwarves Stay Inside" and there is no underground path between the food, dwarves, and stockpiles. Also unlikely.

My bet is on one of the first two.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: March 02, 2010, 02:21:02 pm »

Thanks Retro!

About capturing horses, how I can do that? I put a cage nearby them and hope they will walk into it?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: March 02, 2010, 02:40:29 pm »

I put a cage nearby them and hope they will walk into it?

That's more or less correct. You either sort of overload the vicinity of your wild animals with cage traps (that part is important, a cage itself will not do; you probably know that already, but you only mentioned cages, so I wanna make sure), or you build walls or dig channels to sort of funnel them into your traps. You can also use soldiers to chase them in the direction of your traps, just make sure you order them to "ignore dangerous wild animals", or they'll be liable to kill them before they're caged.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: March 02, 2010, 03:12:58 pm »

ok, thanks! I believed it was more automated than that, like when you hunt vermins or even hunt for meat...

Arathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: March 03, 2010, 12:00:41 am »

Ok, so I like "Fun" and have started only embarking on savage/haunted areas (Where they share the same embark area) But for some reason, I never seem to see ANY sign of the Dwarves, no caravans or anything, but they show up when I press c under Civs. Why aren't they trading with me or any migrants arriving?
"Rehh I don't like your 'SCIENCE'" -As I 'test' 'shock shoes'

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: March 03, 2010, 12:44:24 am »

perhaps in some stroke of oddity, all sentient and friendly races were wiped out in an apocalypse.

or you're on an island.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Arathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: March 03, 2010, 01:10:06 am »

perhaps in some stroke of oddity, all sentient and friendly races were wiped out in an apocalypse.

or you're on an island.
Well, I'm not on an island. And they're not wiped out as it I've had encounters with elves and goblins. (Plus if I'm correct, listing a king, mayor, etc. in civs means they're active?)

Is it just that they're taking a while to get here? I saved, copied the folder and went to check the civ's location and they're all on the other side of the world. Will they get here eventually?
Note, the top circle is my location and the bottom 3 are dwarven civs.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Rehh I don't like your 'SCIENCE'" -As I 'test' 'shock shoes'

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: March 03, 2010, 01:25:02 am »

how long has it been?  are you modding?

I think distance matters for caravans, but I've never seen confirmation.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 181