Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204004 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1980 on: March 06, 2010, 08:16:08 am »

again thanks for all the details, I see I'm still at 10% knowledge :) I  must ponder that now.

By the way, I tried the Pit technique for animals... I complained in a previous post that you could not see which animals were already pitted and which ones were not, when wanting to add a few to a pit.

The situation appears to be slightly better than I thought. You can select already pitted animals, BUT it seems the dorfs will not process these orders, i.e they won't take them from the pit to pit them again from above :)

To be confirmed, but in this case one pit per kind of animal seems an okish way of handling flocks of animals...

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: March 06, 2010, 10:56:47 am »

A better way of handling craploads of stray animals is to butcher them all.

If youdon't want to bother with that (I reccommend you do, though, as you get meat, skulls, bones, and fat from butchered animals. Fat can be turned into tallow at a kitchen and cooked.) you can build a 1x1 pen with an upright spike, chuck all your strays in there, and make kebabs.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: March 06, 2010, 12:22:21 pm »

FINALLY!
I got my first baroness (no count, though) philosopher, tax collector, and hammerer.

Aw, shit, I just read about the hammerer's deadly habit of killing people, and her onyx opal encrusted steel warhammer proves it.

how do I get the hammer out of the hammerer's hands?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 12:34:46 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: March 06, 2010, 12:24:04 pm »

Mark the hammer to be dumped.

...And I think you're confused about nobility. Counts come after Barons.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: March 06, 2010, 12:29:12 pm »

A better way of handling craploads of stray animals is to butcher them all.

He probably knows that. I mean, he didn't ask about animal disposal, he asked about animal pitting, right?

That said, I don't see the point of pitting them either. I'd either let them stay in the meeting area or restrain them. You only need like 10 females and 2 males (1 is technically enough, but I recommend 2 to be safe) per species to get more meat and other products than you'll ever need, assuming you're raising at least 3 species of large animals.

Mark the hammer to be dumped.

That's one solution, but I recommend doing something else. Namely, if you never appoint neither a sheriff/captain nor a fortress guard, nobody is ever going to get punished. At least that's how it worked the last time for me (which has been a while, my latest fortresses all had too low a pop to even get a hammerer).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 12:31:13 pm by assimilateur »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: March 06, 2010, 02:37:42 pm »

That's one solution, but I recommend doing something else. Namely, if you never appoint neither a sheriff/captain nor a fortress guard, nobody is ever going to get punished. At least that's how it worked the last time for me (which has been a while, my latest fortresses all had too low a pop to even get a hammerer).

My last hammerer still punished people, despite me not assigning a sheriff.  I think.  Haven't run a big fortress for a long time.
Not assigning a Sheriff prevents beatings, I'm positive (who would dispense them?).  Might prevent jailings too, I don't make jails.
The best way to deal with a hammerer is to cripple it, because I've heard of them punching dwarves to death without their hammer.  I always used a single spike trap in the bastard's room, often wooden, and administered one spiking per hammerstrike.  The only good hammerer is a bedridden hammerer!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: March 06, 2010, 03:05:20 pm »

My last hammerer still punished people, despite me not assigning a sheriff.  I think.  Haven't run a big fortress for a long time.
Not assigning a Sheriff prevents beatings, I'm positive (who would dispense them?).  Might prevent jailings too, I don't make jails.

That is inconsistent. You claimed that two contradictory states of affairs were true at once.

Not having a commander (as in, sheriff or captain of the guard) will force the hammerer to stand down, at least in my experience and according to what I've read on the forums.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 05:17:40 pm by assimilateur »

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: March 06, 2010, 03:09:34 pm »

The best way to deal with a hammerer is to cripple it, because I've heard of them punching dwarves to death without their hammer.  I always used a single spike trap in the bastard's room, often wooden, and administered one spiking per hammerstrike.  The only good hammerer is a bedridden hammerer!

In my experience, a Hammerer without a hammer will punch dwarves as many times as he should have hammered them. But the hammerer might have high strength. I took away his hammer and he bruised a guy's liver in a single blow.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: March 06, 2010, 06:53:55 pm »

That is inconsistent. You claimed that two contradictory states of affairs were true at once.

Not having a commander (as in, sheriff or captain of the guard) will force the hammerer to stand down, at least in my experience and according to what I've read on the forums.

Not assigning a sheriff/guard prevents beatings *by the guard*.  The hammerer will still deliver hammerstrikes, which are better understood as "beatings" when he lacks his hammer (:

I still think you're mistaken about this (for once), but I'm not positive.  I'd check the wiki but I'm meeting someone in a second.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 06:56:30 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: March 06, 2010, 07:18:48 pm »

Not assigning a sheriff/guard prevents beatings *by the guard*.

Makes sense. Figure I took you too literally.

I still think you're mistaken about this (for once), but I'm not positive.  I'd check the wiki but I'm meeting someone in a second.

I can't vouch for my version either. I might bother to look for info on the forums later, but I can't be arsed right now. It's been pretty irrelevant in the last several forts for me, because I played with a pop of around 50-60. You need around 80 to get a hammerer, right?

Steev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: March 06, 2010, 07:35:20 pm »

What is the best way to boost FPS? I have a sneaking suspicion that 20 FPS max with only 7 dorfs and 6 animals is bad.
For a greater challenge, try doing that with a globin outpost. I will someday
Seriously, man. If I ever see you misspell 'goblin' again I am going to find and kill you.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: March 06, 2010, 08:30:53 pm »

Try messing around with the PARTIALPRINT option in the init.txt, and turn the weather and temperature off.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Steev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: March 06, 2010, 09:30:44 pm »

Hot damn! I turned weather off and switched partial print on and damn, I never knew the cutscenes were supposed to go that fast  ;D and the dorfs, holy shit, just, holy shit. At 100 FPS there like Kenyans on steroids! Even toning it down to 35 it's still Kenyan time.

But when partial print is set to yes, the screen will occasionally flash black and everything but the screen showing the dorfs will be black, only changing back to normal when I do something involving it, like if I press the (d) key, that screen comes back but everything else stays black, why is it doing this?
For a greater challenge, try doing that with a globin outpost. I will someday
Seriously, man. If I ever see you misspell 'goblin' again I am going to find and kill you.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: March 07, 2010, 02:08:18 am »

yes, my aim is to handle efficiently lots of animals. Namely I have passed the 75' mark in wardogs... I'm a bit paranoid, last time 25 werewolves butchered my whole fort (and I play wihtout making retractable bridges or digging moats as a defense, as the AI can't pass it). So it is either resist 'frontaly' an assault, or die doing so. :)

Holzfaust

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: March 07, 2010, 04:42:25 am »

Is there anyway to control magma without having bauxite? I know i can trade for it but I don't want to wait another year. Maybe a bridge?
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 181