Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204031 times)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2115 on: March 19, 2010, 08:50:54 pm »

This is a super basic question but I couldn't find an answer when I searched for it.

Can dwarves dig up?
By which I mean, can a dwarf starting underground make a 'down staircase' on the tile on the z-level above them?
If there is an up staircase under the designated down, then yeah, I think so.

Yep, this is right.
If there isn't an up staircase, like if you want to tunnel up out of a dug room, you'll need to "construct" one, then dig a down staircase above it.

Thanks, you two.

EDIT: Hum. I've got a constructed up staircase and have designated a down staircase be dug above it, but they don't seem to want to do it. Does this only work if the above tile is already open? I'm trying to tunnel multiple levels upwards.

EDIT AGAIN: Oh, never mind. Once they stopped being lazy, it worked.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 09:22:01 pm by Organum »
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: March 19, 2010, 09:07:55 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:47:19 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lukas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: March 19, 2010, 10:16:06 pm »

On embark, the list of gems I could bring with was very long and, to my delight, included green diamonds, which I planned to buy truckloads of later. However, when I got my first caravan, the list of gems I could request was about 5 long, none of which was particularly nice except maybe black opal. So my question is this: is my impression that the list of gems at embark is the same list as your civ can trade with correct, or was this not a very irritating glitch and actually how it's supposed to work? Bear in mind, not just really valuable gems were gone, either. All the ornamental gems from the original list were gone, too, just a few of the semi-precious being left.

I believe that on embark the list of items available are basically all the items in the world (that the dwarves can bring along), yet only certain civilizations deal with certain items. so for the gems, the civilization you're requesting gems from probably just doesn't deal with those gems. I know some civilizations don't allow you to request things like plump helmet spawns, for example. try waiting out different caravans and see what gems they have to offer; im sure the lists will vary

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: March 19, 2010, 10:22:22 pm »

That seems to be set up inconsistently or might be bugged. I base this on the premise that the meat types you can bring on embark seem to be the same as the ones you can later order via the trade liaison. I see no logical reason for why this should work differently for things like gems.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: March 19, 2010, 10:38:35 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:50:27 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: March 19, 2010, 11:33:17 pm »

You might have a slightly weird embark... While I've never tried it myself, it's possible that you might be able to choose every material your civ has access to on embark, but only the materials the parts of your civ that has access to you has access to afterwards. I realize that's confusing, so I'll give an example of what I'm thinking.

This would be something like your civ has outposts on both the inside and outside of a big valley, enclosed and thus inaccessible on all sides by mountains. You embark inside the valley. When you're embarking, you have access to the resources from both the inside-valley and outside-valley outposts. When your liaison arrives, you can only order resources from inside the valley, since the outside-valley ones don't have access.

I'm not sure that that's even possible, of course, but it would be a DF-logic logical reason why it would work the way you've seen.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: March 20, 2010, 12:09:09 am »

How to be more dwarfy, lesson one:
http://ziza.es/2009/08/26/print:page,1,natura_20_foto.html
Enjoy photographs of dwarfy things, like magma and lava. And burning forests. And ocean waves (the kind that drag your supplies and dwarves out to sea). And lava and ocean waves together. And lava flooding civilization (a road in this case, I believe).
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: March 20, 2010, 12:11:25 am »

This is a super basic question but I couldn't find an answer when I searched for it.

Can dwarves dig up?
By which I mean, can a dwarf starting underground make a 'down staircase' on the tile on the z-level above them?

Others have answered this, but I have to include a warning: When digging up, dwarves can't see what they're digging into until they've already dug into it.  This is a good way to accidentally flood your fortress (not that it's usually a good thing to do).

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: March 20, 2010, 12:34:42 am »

I'm not sure that that's even possible, of course, but it would be a DF-logic logical reason why it would work the way you've seen.

Your explanation makes sense. It would also suggest that re-embarking from a different civ - assuming there even were more than one in his world - should produce different results. As should re-generating the world with a different history seed.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: March 20, 2010, 12:54:25 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:50:49 am by Bauglir »

Randomone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: March 20, 2010, 08:21:49 am »

What utility would I use if I accidentally dug too many squares and want to change them back to natural walls for aestheic reasons?
When it crashes the game, its a bug, when it causes mass homicide, its a feature.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: March 20, 2010, 12:13:30 pm »

I'm not entirely sure, didn't even know there was such a utility.

How do I check if i'm at war with another civ, because the entire fucking human caravan just got wiped off the map by a siege.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: March 20, 2010, 01:14:28 pm »

Say I wanted to mod axes to do half slashing and half bludgeoning damage. Would this work right?

(ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_BATTLE)
(NAME:battle axe:battle axes)
(DAMAGE:55:SLASH)
(DAMAGE:55:BLUDGEON)
(WEIGHT:80)
(SKILL:AXE)
(TWO_HANDED:4)
(MINIMUM_SIZE:4)
(MATERIAL_SIZE:4)

The parentheses would be replaced with brackets, of course.

Also, would the lower damage values make the weapon less effective? I want to add the additional damage type without actually making axes stronger.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: March 20, 2010, 01:29:22 pm »

Probably been answered dozens of times: Does altering the popcap in init.txt require a re-embark or just a relaunch of the game?
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: March 20, 2010, 01:30:56 pm »

Probably been answered dozens of times: Does altering the popcap in init.txt require a re-embark or just a relaunch of the game?

Just a relaunch, thankfully.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 181