Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204563 times)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2190 on: March 25, 2010, 12:06:29 pm »

Oh hey again guys. Last thread I asked about making my dwarves cannibals; I was told to edit them to EAT_SAPIANT_OTHER and EAT_SAPIANT_KILL, but still I don't see the little guys roasting goblins or other dwarves. What's the deal?
Whoever told you to do that was simply mistaken, probably due to having never tried it themselves. While having those ethics at ACCEPTABLE does make your people eat defeated enemies in worldgen, it doesn't change fortress mode. You cannot, at present, butcher sapient creatures without stupid workarounds that just aren't very good at all.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: March 25, 2010, 05:59:15 pm »

After reading the thread about capturing mermaids, I've decided to give it a try myself. I've got some ideas involving massive suction pumps, magma, and a huge fortress built over the water.

Having never built an ocean fort before, I want to make sure I pick a good site to embark on before doing this. So what should I look for during worldgen/embarkment to ensure I'll find mermaids there?

Also, if I were to build glass tubes filled with magma underwater, would the mermaids see it and avoid it?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 07:32:47 pm by BitLooter »
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: March 25, 2010, 07:39:47 pm »

Having never built an ocean fort before, I want to make sure I pick a good site to embark on before doing this. So what should I look for when choosing my site to ensure I'll find mermaids there?

As far as I know, they live in good oceans.

Also, if I were to build glass tubes filled with magma underwater, would the mermaids see it and avoid it?

In short, no. That makes no sense whatsoever, in current AI-terms (though it would, of course, make sense in real life), at least the way I understand this.

I've just started a new game, at last. I've modded my civilizations to have non-overlapping active seasons. Because the way sieges and trading currently work, having several sieges per year (I'm currently using 7 hostile civs) effectively keeps me from trading unless I'm incredibly lucky. Accordingly, I gave all my hostiles active seasons other than autumn so I could trade in peace.

It's now early autumn, and guess what? A vile force of fucking darkness has arrived. What do I do to make this goddamn game actually use my active season settings, instead of overriding them willy nilly?

Currently, the only solution seems to be disabling invaders altogether for the years you want to do some trading, which is a half-measure at best. Not to mention that it doesn't work as reliably as I expected (last time I tried, I still got invaders in the year following my disabling of them). Of course the mere fact that traders, who only come around once a year, will completely bypass your location when you're being attacked, instead of waiting somewhere safe is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 07:53:15 pm by assimilateur »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: March 25, 2010, 08:06:26 pm »

Traders from a give race will come more than once a year if you give them multiple active seasons. You can even have a race come 4 times a year if you give them all 4. This can be helpful if you are playing Relentless Assault or somesuch and thus are getting sieged most every season.

I've had a similar problem myself. In my utter hatred of ambushes, I'm playing RA with all the invader races modded so that they won't ambush, thus I get sieged more or less constantly. I, too, attempted to remove the enemies' ability to come during the season my traders were supposed to show up without success. However, while I have not yet tested it at all, I think I may have thought of a solution.

The orc mod's orcs siege only during summer and winter and IIRC don't siege any other time. They have only the summer and winter active season tokens. I suspect that the "siege any time" bug comes from having two active seasons back-to-back. As I said, I've not tried this, but intend to start a new fort with such settings shortly. If my theory is correct, making sure the enemy has no more than 2 active seasons, and those not adjacent to one another, should work. Testing remains, and it may well be a forlorn hope, but it could work.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: March 25, 2010, 08:31:46 pm »

That can't be the problem in my case, because my goblins were supposed to be only active during summer, and still they showed up in autumn.

This active season shit is really gamey if you think about it. I'm thinking about throwing in the towel and making all my siegers active year-round and either do the same for my dwarves (the only race I trade with), or take the easy way out and disable invaders for the first 2-3 years after embark.

I only really need to trade in the beginning (and even the word "need" is stretching it), and it even kinda makes sense that they wouldn't be able to track you - or at least not consider you a worthy target - shortly after embarking. Increasing my progress_triggers won't cut it, as I'm afraid that would postpone my sieges until my population is higher than it's ever going to be (I'm thinking low fifties to sixties, unless this new d19_2 version turns out to run smoother than expected).

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: March 25, 2010, 09:08:51 pm »

i have a question, what exactly do my nobles want when they demand "item in bedroom", it seems that no matter what random junk i put in their room they arent satisfied.   
anyone know what do do?
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: March 25, 2010, 09:11:28 pm »

It could possibly be a glitch, such as the large.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #2197 on: March 25, 2010, 10:02:53 pm »

i have a question, what exactly do my nobles want when they demand "item in bedroom", it seems that no matter what random junk i put in their room they arent satisfied.   
anyone know what do do?

It's a known glitch. There's nothing you can do. Fortunately, they don't call for beating if this sort of demand isn't met.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: March 26, 2010, 08:34:44 am »

Sparring question, what type of weapon is recommended for sparring but my dwarves can stay wielding while training incase of emergency?

Randomone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: March 26, 2010, 08:59:53 am »

Sparring question, what type of weapon is recommended for sparring but my dwarves can stay wielding while training incase of emergency?
Just give them their combat weaponry. Sure, half your military is injured, but it makes the survivors that much stronger! ;D

Really though, just give them a weapon made out of something strong, but low quality. Some dwarfs still get injured, but they recover.
When it crashes the game, its a bug, when it causes mass homicide, its a feature.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: March 26, 2010, 10:40:13 am »

I noticed that I have (for the first time) two elven civilizations visible on civilization screen. Is this normal? Has something unexpected happenned? Ive never seen this in any of my ..20(?) games.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: March 26, 2010, 11:05:09 am »

In a fort im running now My dwarves have become antisocial for some reason, rather than use that nice Meeting area OR the meeting hall they prefer to lurk in their rooms.

Whats causing this? An is there any way to fix it?
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: March 26, 2010, 11:19:19 am »

I noticed that I have (for the first time) two elven civilizations visible on civilization screen. Is this normal? Has something unexpected happenned? Ive never seen this in any of my ..20(?) games.

Strange, I usually get a few civilizations for each race, including elves.  Do you usually get 2-3 dwarven civilizations?  Are you playing tiny or pocket worlds?  Any major mods like Dig Deeper or Orcs?

Try checking the historical maps section of legends.  Maybe most of the elven civilizations getting killed in world-gen.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: March 26, 2010, 01:19:37 pm »

A question regarding magma, water, obsidian farming and the inveitability of one day an accidental cave in due to tower cap growth on top of the obsidian block;

Is there any item/construction (springing to mind are grates, horizontal bars, etc) that I can place on top of the magma area that allows water to pass through, will inhibit tower cap growth, can support the constructions around it and not get mined out/destroyed by up ramps?

Constructed (not carved out of rock) fortifications maybe?

e: add to the list of wants - will allow a dug ramp from below to remove the floor on the Z-level above created by the obsidian "block"
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 01:37:24 pm by SquidgyB »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: March 26, 2010, 02:08:42 pm »

Whats causing this? An is there any way to fix it?
Possibly they consider their rooms to be nicer than the meeting area. I have multiple meeting areas spread over a dining room that's Royal despite being shared (and has multiple artifacts built within its boundaries, so it's not just tables and chairs to look at), and still dwarves have a 50/50 chance of lurking in their rooms despite said rooms topping out at Decent.

Re: obsidian farming

Why are you making obsidian when you can afford to leave it unmined long enough for tower caps to grow? I'd give the fortification idea a try though, as you only need to build one in your farm to test it.

Although reading your post again, I'm curious about your exact setup. You seem to be using the water-dropping method, but that normally leaves no water hanging around afterwards.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 181