Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204582 times)

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2205 on: March 26, 2010, 02:31:17 pm »

True, tower caps usually take a long time to grow, but a few times I've seen them sprout pretty much immediately after dousing the magma, and it's caught me out once or twice after designating the rock to be mined, and squished the miners in question.

I'm not measuring the water carefully... I use a setup where there are deep channels around three edges of the factory, which drop down several levels, with some function rooms down the bootom where dwarfs get the occasional waterfall mist from the excess pouring over the edges. The reason I asked here was because I was at work (I was curious if anyone knew offhand
). I'm about to do some Bez style science to find out :)

e: Ok... Fortifications don't allow the water to touch the magma below, so we have tiles of magma left while around the anywhere else the magma was cooled into obsidian.

Floor bars and grates allow the water to pass through, but don't support surrounding constructions - so I could only build around the edge of the factory, unless it was based on 2-tile wide channels rather than a wide area.

ramping works from beneath bars and grates, but the support issue remains.

Hmmm, what to test next?

e: Bugger. On second looks the cavern floor remains beneath the bars and grates, so it'd be useless for the next obsidian production run anyway. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on the dwarfs while they ramp the obsidian away :(
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 02:53:10 pm by SquidgyB »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: March 26, 2010, 04:10:00 pm »

In a fort im running now My dwarves have become antisocial for some reason, rather than use that nice Meeting area OR the meeting hall they prefer to lurk in their rooms.

Whats causing this? An is there any way to fix it?
Make sure you haven't accidentally forbidden the piece of furniture your rooms are designated from, or turned your meeting area to a non-active status.

I think particularly antisocial dwarves are known to avoid even properly designated meeting areas, but that's a stable personality thing; it shouldn't have changed.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: March 26, 2010, 10:19:30 pm »

True, tower caps usually take a long time to grow, but a few times I've seen them sprout pretty much immediately after dousing the magma, and it's caught me out once or twice after designating the rock to be mined, and squished the miners in question.
Odd. You must just have really bad luck.

I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on the dwarfs while they ramp the obsidian away :(
Another option is to dig stairs and then channel them from above, or maybe just dig out the level with the up stairs (I believe that's the one that'll produce rocks). You could probably just leave the down stair level alone after the first round of farming, as stairs are definitely water-permeable.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Randomone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: March 27, 2010, 11:06:38 am »

I'm having a problem with my dwarfs not using all my bins. Both my craft and bar stockpile are overflowing, yet they only have around 4 or 5 bins in them, even though there are 7 perfectly good bins nearby. I tried taking away my bin-only stockpiles, yet my dwarfs still won't use them. My barrels are used fine, and even when I have 55 idel hauler dwarfs, nothing happens.
 ???
Help?
When it crashes the game, its a bug, when it causes mass homicide, its a feature.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: March 27, 2010, 04:02:38 pm »

If you're positive that the bins they're not using are empty, reachable and not forbidden, then I don't know how to help you. Perhaps you just got to wait for them to catch up, logistics-wise (I think they only fill bins and barrels one at a time, so that might take longer than expected).

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: March 27, 2010, 04:51:13 pm »

I'm having a problem with my dwarfs not using all my bins. Both my craft and bar stockpile are overflowing, yet they only have around 4 or 5 bins in them, even though there are 7 perfectly good bins nearby. I tried taking away my bin-only stockpiles, yet my dwarfs still won't use them. My barrels are used fine, and even when I have 55 idel hauler dwarfs, nothing happens.
 ???
Help?

If you select the stockpile with q, does it have 0 "bins allowed"?  I don't remember the exact layout, but you can control how many bins are allowed and how many barrels are allowed.  If that isn't it check the bins you want to use with k to see if they're tasked or forbidden or something, and definitely empty.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: March 28, 2010, 01:07:01 am »

How do you flush garbage?

I thought it was pretty straightforward, so I dug an underground channel to my brook, slapped together two manually operated pumps, but whatever I dump into the flowing water doesn't move an inch. I thought this might have to do with weight, that water wouldn't move stones, so I dumped some logs and they won't move either.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: March 28, 2010, 01:50:38 am »

'Flowing', powering a waterwheel is different from 'flowing' moving items and creatures. For it to move, it must actually change in water level, moving from one point to another.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: March 28, 2010, 01:58:55 am »

Water flows unevenly over z-level waterfalls. Most players take advantage of that fact to move items. Basically, you can't flush items without a z-level change in flow at some point.

In the end: flushing items is a fun little gimmicky mechanic, but you should just use an "atom smasher", aka garbage compactor if practicality is your goal.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: March 28, 2010, 02:11:21 am »

OK, I'll try making my dump one level lower than where the water is being pumped. Regarding Shade-o's suggestion about changing water level, I got my logs to be flushed when I stopped and restarted the pumps. My dumped stones, however, didn't move an inch.

Oh, and I didn't bother with this for practical reason, as my bottomless pit is close enough to my fort's main shaft that it would even make sense to dump shit directly in it.

Regarding atom-smashing, I think we've already talked about this. I'm not convinced about the realism of putting thousands of stones under a bridge and pulverizing them, though I guess hooking it up to a water-based repeater would make sense, so it would only smash small amounts of rock at a time.

Do you know of a way of avoiding phantom globs when magma-dumping rocks? I mean, would dumping stuff directly into the pipe be clean? Or what about pumping the magma dump around so the depth didn't remain constant?

EDIT:

1. Changing the z-level of where my water gets pumped didn't do anything. Any obsidian I've dumped, or am still dumping, won't move an inch.

2. Turns out, even the stuff that did get "flushed" didn't get disposed of properly. Looking at my stocks, I've seen a {withered pig tail} F that I had dumped earlier and thought had already disappeared down the bottomless pit. It's still being tracked in my stocks, and when I zoom in on it, I'm being shown its former location without it physically being there. This is fucking ridiculous.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 02:28:39 am by assimilateur »

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #2215 on: March 28, 2010, 04:00:08 am »

I'm having a problem with my dwarfs not using all my bins.  ???
Help?
I sometimes do this by micromanaging:
Set up a stockpile (say 3x3) set to "furniture - block all - allow bins".
When it is full of bins, disable furniture and turn on "craft" (or whatever you wanted in the bins), with all 9 (however many) spaces permitted for bins.
Usually my problem is, when I first set up a stockpile next to an over-flowing workshop, my item haulers come and scatter 1 piece of crap every 10 x 10 square. Now, I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure I can fit more than one cup in a 10' x 10 ' square...
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Randomone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: March 28, 2010, 08:28:48 am »

Thanks for the advice on the bin problem. :) I think it might be a bug, because when I produced more bins the bins lying aroung got moved, but the new bins stayed in the workshop.(because my bin-storage stockpiles were still down.) Now, my only fear is that the dwarfs have moved the bins BACK to the workshop, which would be a much bigger problem.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 08:47:43 am by Randomone »
When it crashes the game, its a bug, when it causes mass homicide, its a feature.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: March 28, 2010, 03:37:56 pm »

Thanks for the advice on the bin problem. :) I think it might be a bug, because when I produced more bins the bins lying aroung got moved, but the new bins stayed in the workshop.(because my bin-storage stockpiles were still down.) Now, my only fear is that the dwarfs have moved the bins BACK to the workshop, which would be a much bigger problem.

Likely they're Destined for somewhere, some bin-accepting stockpile, probably, but cannot be moved there due to some silly reason like a cup taking up the space.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: March 28, 2010, 03:57:52 pm »

An absolutely ecstatic dwarf just attended a meeting with mayor (not manager). She yelled at him and got a little happier. Wiki implies this should not happen. Thoughts?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: March 28, 2010, 05:19:30 pm »

How about a link or a quote so we don't have to go wiki-diving to see what you are talking about?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 181