Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204549 times)

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2370 on: May 09, 2010, 07:09:04 am »

If I have one fort going, can I start a new game and not lose the old fort? That is, in the same version of DF (currently using 40d).

I believe only if you create a new world.  You can only have one fort currently going on each world.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: May 09, 2010, 07:13:50 am »

Is it normal that about 5 rangers/hunters I've had have been killed whilst hunting ? lol. I can't imagine what killed them to be honest!.

A creatuire that's killed a dwarf should get a name.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

LegitMacgyver

• Bay Watcher
  • Macgyver cancels make bomb, can't find paper clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: May 09, 2010, 07:31:00 am »

Is it normal that about 5 rangers/hunters I've had have been killed whilst hunting ? lol. I can't imagine what killed them to be honest!.

A creatuire that's killed a dwarf should get a name.

It usually takes a few dwarf kills for a creature to get named.

Kalphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: May 09, 2010, 04:16:16 pm »

I'm looking through search for help for this as well, but in the meantime, what is the best way to build a well so that if dwarfs fall in they can escape?  What are some good building tips for wells and cisterns (I've been to the wiki, just looking for other people's personal advice)?

Big Mac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: May 09, 2010, 07:56:48 pm »

So, I have an issue where all of my miners are total slackers. There are plenty of picks, Mining is enabled, everything, but they won't mine. They just chill in my dining room forever.

WTF?

austonst

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: May 09, 2010, 08:41:24 pm »

A 40d question:

What happens to your fort when you abandon it? I've gotten to the point where I'm almost falling asleep between sieges and just praying that they'll put up a fight for once. I did have some fun capturing an elf master lasher who was leading the siege in a cage, stripping him down, and putting him on display in a fancy statue garden. Besides that, though, it's been "Charcoal stock okay, seed stock okay, miners are mining, caravan's leaving... repeat". I am really attached to my dwarves, though. I doubt I'll ever forget Edem, the one eyed axedwarf who takes out about half of every incoming siege, or Momuz, the only noble who actually seems to care about the other dwarves.

Does abandoning your fort instantly bring it to a broken down, decayed state full of monsters to fight on a reclaim, or does it allow the dwarves to live on with their lives, doing things other dwarven cities would do? Alternatively, do sieges ever become powerful enough to take out an 11 champion military? The dragon that came by earlier never managed to even scratch one of my dwarves.

EDIT: To rephrase my intentions a little better: I want my fortress to die a natural death, whether through invasion, famine, or HFS. I want to be able to look over the history of my dwarves and see how they died and when. I'm just a little worried that once I abandon, they'll all die off or start behaving completely differently.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 08:46:10 pm by austonst »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: May 09, 2010, 08:52:06 pm »

So, I have an issue where all of my miners are total slackers. There are plenty of picks, Mining is enabled, everything, but they won't mine. They just chill in my dining room forever.

WTF?

Can they access what you want to dig? Try seeing if they'll dig out a corner of the dining room or something. You can cancel the designation before they dig it out, if you want your dining room to look perfect.

What happens to your fort when you abandon it?

Your dwarves will form a migratory group and perhaps settle in an abandoned fortress elsewhere. All your tame animals will die, though I'm not sure about pets. If you reclaim immediately after abandoning, your dwarves won't have left yet, and they will be listed as friendly on the unit list.

All your food will be gone. All your items will be scattered randomly about your fortress. All your buildings will still be intact.

If you have features on your map, like a chasm or an underground river, there will be a new compliment of creatures to fill it. They might also be wandering around your fortress proper.

Any captured prisoners will be on your map and wandering around. Any captured megabeasts will be released and wandering around the map. All tame animals will be dead.

Alternatively, do sieges ever become powerful enough to take out an 11 champion military?

No.

EDIT: To rephrase my intentions a little better: I want my fortress to die a natural death...

You'll have to engineer a creative death for your fortress. If you abandon, your dwarves just go elsewhere and your fortress will be messy but still intact.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

DangerHelvetica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: May 09, 2010, 09:11:25 pm »

One of my champions randomly died, said he bled to death, now I can't really find his corpse or any evidence but there is no way he was outside, I have had them set to off duty and training them all up, is it most likely there was a training accident with the battle axes ?. Playing 40d btw. Bloody things... I have been training 11 guys for along time now, I got them all legendary wrestling and they all became champions, then started on axe training, I guess 1 dead isn't much of a loss lol.

Time to bring in CSI Dwarf Fortress.

austonst

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: May 09, 2010, 09:26:58 pm »

Thanks for the response. It's reassuring to know that at least they make a migratory group, so a bit of continuity in the "story" is preserved.

Big Mac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: May 09, 2010, 10:07:44 pm »

WTF?

ARGH! It turns out that this was the case. I had some issues with ramps and orientation, and then i was just convinced I was right everywhere else. Thanks!

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: May 09, 2010, 10:28:20 pm »

Hey dudes, in 159 pages this has almost certainly been asked already, so sorry about that

If I want to build some constructions (like say, roads) out of gold, am I better off smelting into bars at a smelter, or turning the ore into blocks at a masonry shop, value-wise?

I have enough trees that charcoal usage is irrelevant, and I don't care how long it takes

Also I'm using 40d19, not the latest version, if that matters

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: May 09, 2010, 10:52:26 pm »

Gold into bars. Definitely don't make Gold Blocks, which are identical except for requiring more gold.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: May 09, 2010, 11:39:59 pm »

thanks

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: May 10, 2010, 12:36:13 am »

thanks

erm, actually...

I was dead wrong. I got the whole thing backwards. Sorry! I forgot that Blocks have a 5x material multiplier, so making it out of stone (aka gold nuggets) blocks is better than gold bars, although they're still better than unshaped gold nuggets. And worst of all is gold (metal) blocks, except that there's a glitch right now allowing you to make them out of 1 bar each.

All of this is dependent on gold nuggets' value vs gold bars. With platinum, nuggets are more valuable than bars. This is very backwards, and I believe gold bars are more valuable than nuggets. So... while gold blocks would normally be the worst thing, right now it's the best.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: May 10, 2010, 03:52:52 am »

Could someone please tell me how can I make a hole in a roof? Dwarves refuse to create upper stairways
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 181