Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204564 times)

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2415 on: May 13, 2010, 11:56:25 am »

I just accidently gave all my goods while trading for free by pressing
  • ffer. Darn. Are there any benefits that I will get for this?

After second trade dwarf trader said that he is tired of childish games and next time perhaps will take it seriously. What does this mean?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 12:09:13 pm by Shangurath »

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: May 13, 2010, 12:11:34 pm »

he's a greedy little bum and wants more profit.  That's it pretty much.  Generally 50% profit is a good estimate of having him accept with novice trading skills

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: May 13, 2010, 01:14:02 pm »

I've got a lone elf that's been in my trade depot for like half a year. (I've seen two moods go by with him in there...) Anyway, it still shows all the traded items in the depot, and the depot still flashes like it's full of crap, but the game tells me I can't trade. WTF is going on, and how can I regain control of my depot?

40d btw
With apostrophes,
Rastaan angers PhoenicIan.
To my amusement.

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: May 13, 2010, 02:22:55 pm »

I'm so tierd of the Military being so none-responsive in Dwarf Fortress, really tips me off about this game...

I play 40d. And I'm not that experianced, have been playing for a couple of weeks.
But when I order my men to be station near the underground river, I'm currently trying to dig around. They go around doing alot of other things, like "Oh there is a giant toad there, but hey I need to sleep so F-that." And them they all go away and my miners die...

I know I can get them watersacks and food backpacks.
But they've been standing down the whole time, and when I discover that toads I put them on station and duty, and they can't even stay there för a couple of minutes.

I have another example. A dwarf went berserk, so I ordered my marksmen to move/station near the location of the berserking dwarf. But no, they had to go and eat, and one of them went for sleep. I mean if the fortress is under attack and you're one of the guards, why would you go sleep or go sit down and eat, meanwhile the "enemies" rampages through your fortress and kills of alot of dwarfs.

And when the squad leader is taking a nap or eating or does anything. The other squad members just hangs around him. Why?
Do I have to have all my military in thier own squads?

So frustraiting. I know this game is "Losing is fun" And yea it is fun to get stormed by goblins and die because you didn't have enough guards/traps etc.
But not when you HAVE and trying to defend everything, and the guards won't even listen.
Feels like there is no point of having guards, when you have to just hope that they do thier job.

Yea I'm pretty steamed up now. Because I lost half my dwarf to a giant toad...

Edit: I guess I need a question aswell. Is the military supposed to be this way? Or am I doing anything wrong?
Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 02:26:57 pm by Ladde »

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: May 13, 2010, 02:30:12 pm »

How do I create modest quarters and modest office (or meager quarters etc)?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2420 on: May 13, 2010, 04:38:42 pm »

That's the quality rating of the room, to improve the quality you can do things such as making the room larger, smoothing and engraving it, putting better quality furniture in it, putting good quality anything in it, really.

Tehran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Stories
« Reply #2421 on: May 14, 2010, 01:12:08 am »

I'm so tierd of the Military being so none-responsive in Dwarf Fortress, really tips me off about this game...
I know I can get them watersacks and food backpacks.
But they've been standing down the whole time, and when I discover that toads I put them on station and duty, and they can't even stay there för a couple of minutes.

Yes, you should get them waterskins and backpacks. But I know what you mean about the military running off to do their own thing. I've yelled at my computer before, "You guys are ON DUTY! Guard the fort!!"

There's two things you can do. Or... two that I know of.
1. If there's an area of the map or underground with vicious animals like toads, just don't mine there! You should always be protecting your fortress with doors and drawbridges and traps. Remember Murphy's law: If it can go wrong, it will go wrong. Put a barrier like a door between you and them, and lock it. [q, l]

2. Kill all the toads, and THEN you can mine in there. You don't need your squad to be on duty all the time, you just need them to stick around long enough to kill everything. Then they can go screw around.
But make sure they're all together before sending them to kill stuff. You don't want them getting picked off one by one.
Visit http://dfstories.com for stories!
And here's my solution for sand modeling: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58397.0

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: May 14, 2010, 08:14:52 am »

That's the quality rating of the room, to improve the quality you can do things such as making the room larger, smoothing and engraving it, putting better quality furniture in it, putting good quality anything in it, really.

Thanks for answer

And how can I check the quality rating of a room?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: May 14, 2010, 08:21:48 am »

Two ways. You can assign it to a dwarf, in which case it will show up in their profile, or you can press the R key and get a listing of all rooms.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: May 14, 2010, 08:27:59 am »

Two ways. You can assign it to a dwarf, in which case it will show up in their profile, or you can press the R key and get a listing of all rooms.
I see thanks

And what is the difference between quarters and office? Quarters = bedroom, right? And how can I make an office?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: May 14, 2010, 08:33:32 am »

Offices are used for paperwork and are designated from a chair. It is advisable to put a table in the office as well because dwarves will eat in their office.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: May 14, 2010, 08:37:08 am »

Offices are used for paperwork and are designated from a chair. It is advisable to put a table in the office as well because dwarves will eat in their office.

Okay thanks :)

And by the way, a military question in old DF. My melee soldiers are holding weapons (iron) but while training, they get experience only in wrestling - why?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: May 14, 2010, 08:39:49 am »

Wrestling levels up when you dodge, IIRC.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: May 14, 2010, 09:05:04 am »

Thanks

And is there a way to make trees or something that gives wood?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: May 14, 2010, 09:09:29 am »

There may be a modded reaction to produce logs. Ask in the modding section.

Your best bet is to trade for them.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 181