Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204528 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2580 on: May 30, 2010, 09:45:59 am »

You can just use stairs in the U-bend. Water flows over and through them just fine.

Later on if you want you can channel them away by designating a channel on the top, then when it's finished, the layer below it, and so on.

Getting your miner out of there might be an issue, since he will no longer have stairs to climb out.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: May 30, 2010, 10:57:26 am »

New one: I catch tens of gobos, deer and raccoons. When I decide to build a cage (b->c), I can't choose it "by creature" coz cages on the list are named: pine/oak/etc cage regardless of what they contain; so I had to make a huge pit for ALL the cages, in order to get the ones I wanted;

also: when ordering a caged raccoon to a pit pond zone, where a new cage is prepped for it... the raccoon sets free.

Please sb explain this to me.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: May 30, 2010, 11:00:10 am »

When building anything, you can press 'x' to get a specific list of items instead of a general one by material. You can use this to pick out masterpiece quality furniture, or a cage holding a specific creature.

If you want to move creatures between cages, you need to assign them to the specific cage from the building menu, which defaults to 'q'.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: May 30, 2010, 11:20:15 am »

When building anything, you can press 'x' to get a specific list of items instead of a general one by material. You can use this to pick out masterpiece quality furniture, or a cage holding a specific creature.

If you want to move creatures between cages, you need to assign them to the specific cage from the building menu, which defaults to 'q'.

Thanks, that's helpfull; the second problem (raccoon escapology) occurs I-dont-know-why. Gobos are calm when transported from cage to cage.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: May 30, 2010, 11:21:26 am »

I'm guessing the raccoons aren't tame.

Wild animals and thieves will try to escape if you move them from their cages.

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: May 30, 2010, 11:40:55 am »

I checked goblins in creature_standard: figures they have both Trainable and Pet features :D

How do I train them :)?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2586 on: May 30, 2010, 11:53:08 am »

I checked goblins in creature_standard: figures they have both Trainable and Pet features :D

How do I train them :)?
You cannot, as they are a civilization.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: June 04, 2010, 12:54:31 am »

1) How can I make alloys in smelter? I only have 'smelt object' and 'smelt magnetite ore' options there
2) How can I chose what item should be smelt?
3) Is it possible to tame a wild animal? 'Catch' in kennels' menu means to kill it (dwarf starts to hunt)
4) Why do you need dye, cloth, soap, glass? Isn't it useless? Well I think I'm just stuck in the game. I have everything that dwarves need, the fortress is well-guarded and there is no danger. I do not need to find magma because I can trade or cut enough wood, I don't need any waterwheels or windmills because I don't need any power because I don't need any pumps or screw pumps. I don't need anything and the game loses fun to me really

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: June 04, 2010, 02:13:54 am »

1. The options you have are the only things you can do. The materials to do other things are not available, so the menu is not cluttered with things you cannot do. Find ores or bars for alloys, and then you can smelt them.

2. You must mark an item for melting with "m", either by looking at it with "k" or using the stock menu with "z".

3. Wild animals must be caught in cage traps. Your dwarf's hunting has nothing to do with the order to catch land animals. See the wiki.

4. The game doesn't have a goal like "make it through so-and-so" or "survive this long". You can do what you want. Whether you care to build a giant glass tower and whether it matters if your dwarves go naked is entirely your responsibility. You get enjoyment out of it by making and achieving your own goals. If you want to hole up and wait out sieges, that's up to you. You can even turn many features off if you don't want them. Do what you want to do, and enjoy the features of the game like letting your dwarves fight your enemies or setting elaborate traps for them.

5. (Bonus!) Check the wiki before asking questions. The answers for all of these things are there, and usually very easy to find. The reason for the wiki is to allow experienced players to lay all of the information out once in a single easy-to-find place, instead of repeating it for every new player. We're all glad to help with the difficult questions, but please do some searching first ;)
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: June 04, 2010, 04:15:39 am »

oops, how do I delete a post?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 04:17:11 am by culwin »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: June 04, 2010, 05:44:30 am »

For future reference, what you do is exactly what you did, namely edit the post to make it clear that you didn't mean to post it so it doesn't clutter up the thread. Usually the reason for doing so is given, such as "Sorry, wrong topic" or "Oops, accidentally quoted instead of modifying" or "Nevermind, I figured it out myself."
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: June 04, 2010, 01:11:11 pm »

Is that a kobold name: Gozru Ongungrengsu?
I have his right hand (it says: Gozru Ong.... right hand, in yellow font) on the ground next to my chained doggy.

DangerHelvetica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: June 05, 2010, 11:17:27 am »

I'm not sure, but he might be somewhere on your combat log.

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: June 06, 2010, 04:05:21 am »

A new one:
I've read the wiki and still there's a wee problem: noone cleans my weapon traps from all the goblin loot/body parts/bones/blood.

I have a refuse pile, no editing on it, it should work. I also dedicated another pile just for gobos. And I see my dorfs with burial/refuse/cleaning labors prefer to attend parties than to actually work on those tasks.

WTF?

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: June 06, 2010, 04:48:08 am »

What would you rather do? Go to an insane party with all of your friends, booze and a couple of ☼golden statues☼, or remove goblin crud from traps? Remove the zone where they're partying (table, well, statue, zoo) and they should go to work. Turn them off as meeting areas and it should be fine.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 181