Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204015 times)

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #210 on: December 04, 2009, 01:53:52 pm »

Where does a retracting bridge go when it is retracted?
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 04, 2009, 01:57:44 pm »

does the magma in a glowing pit refill if it has a connection to the bottom? So that it acts like a magma pipe?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kraegan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 04, 2009, 02:00:12 pm »

Does an underground river exposed to the outside because or erosion count as a underground river for the purpose of growing tower caps?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 04, 2009, 02:04:00 pm »

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 04, 2009, 02:08:38 pm »

Does an underground river exposed to the outside because or erosion count as a underground river for the purpose of growing tower caps?

I'm not certain, but I think so. That's how it worked with an underground pool I had, at least. Once I tapped into it to run a perpetual motion device/mead hall waterfall, I had tower caps growing in my fort.

Now my question: Do I need to worry about my hermit getting strange moods? I've been rushing to acquire a stockpile of whatever he could need just in case--plant cloth, silk cloth, wood, ore, bars, blocks, rough gems, cut gems, bones, but no glass since I can't find sand. But it never even occurred to me that there might be a minimum population required for the even in the first place.

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 04, 2009, 02:13:56 pm »

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 04, 2009, 03:18:27 pm »

If I had to guess, I'd say it would but that you'll find it very difficult to get the game to allow you to build past the edges (maybe something with temporary constructed floor scafolding will be necessary).  You should try it and report back, for science.

Tried and failed, the grate deconstructs as soon as you remove the scaffolding. Guess i will have to modify the plan for my new deathtrap temple to Armok.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 04, 2009, 03:49:03 pm »

Tried and failed, the grate deconstructs as soon as you remove the scaffolding. Guess i will have to modify the plan for my new deathtrap temple to Armok.
Bummer...  something like
Code: [Select]
X###X###X#
###X###X##
#X###X###X
##X###X###
where # is a grate and X is a constructed floor tile held up by a support could be a decent alternative option.

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 04, 2009, 05:12:06 pm »

At first i wanted to do it this way too but it takes far to long in my opinion for the 1/7 magma that remains on the floors to cool and since the chamber should be the main entrance i hoped i could build something that doesnt need to stay closed for a month to prevent !!dwarfs!!, !!elves!! and !!humans!!.

I think i will place some statues on constructed floors on strategic positions around the mosaik and make the wagon path out of bridges so that i can emergencydump the magma or burning people into the magmalake below.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 05, 2009, 02:10:14 am »

WHAT
THE
ARMOK

How can a muskox give birth where the only two type of its species on the map belong to my dwarves and are both female.
Luckily both of them gave birth and birthed males..
The trip was too far away from the mountain homes to be knocked up.
I blame those damned elves.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 05, 2009, 02:14:07 am »

I'm not certain, but I think so. That's how it worked with an underground pool I had, at least. Once I tapped into it to run a perpetual motion device/mead hall waterfall, I had tower caps growing in my fort.

Now my question: Do I need to worry about my hermit getting strange moods? I've been rushing to acquire a stockpile of whatever he could need just in case--plant cloth, silk cloth, wood, ore, bars, blocks, rough gems, cut gems, bones, but no glass since I can't find sand. But it never even occurred to me that there might be a minimum population required for the even in the first place.

Yes. You can only have a strange mood if you have at least 20 dwarves who have never had a strange mood in your fort, I think. I forgot the exact number.

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 05, 2009, 02:55:24 am »

WHAT
THE
ARMOK

How can a muskox give birth where the only two type of its species on the map belong to my dwarves and are both female.

If you bought one from the elves, there's your answer. They sold you a knocked up muskox.

Yes. You can only have a strange mood if you have at least 20 dwarves who have never had a strange mood in your fort, I think. I forgot the exact number.

Neat. Thanks. I'm still going to stockpile this stuff, though, because I've changed my vision or this hermit challenge: I have decided to keep him locked away in the mountain, so that while I'm waiting for him to finish the work I've assigned I can use migrants to do neat things on the surface. Currently, I've got 'em building a big dwarven arcology.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 05, 2009, 03:21:21 am »

WHAT
THE
ARMOK

If you bought one from the elves, there's your answer. They sold you a knocked up muskox.

Neat. Thanks. I'm still going to stockpile this stuff, though, because I've changed my vision or this hermit challenge: I have decided to keep him locked away in the mountain, so that while I'm waiting for him to finish the work I've assigned I can use migrants to do neat things on the surface. Currently, I've got 'em building a big dwarven arcology.
Then have your dwarf pop up out of the ground and scare the crap out of them...
ooor you could have it so the hermit makes the whole cavern collapse except for one place where the hermit and a lever is that makes the cavern collapse and kills the other dwarves above ground...

Ive tried the hermit challenge before but it never really worked, how can i go about killing those other 6's.

Also, i knew those elves were suspicious!
Ah well, ill just trade their incested offspring BACK to them! haha!
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 05, 2009, 04:14:38 am »

Then have your dwarf pop up out of the ground and scare the crap out of them...
ooor you could have it so the hermit makes the whole cavern collapse except for one place where the hermit and a lever is that makes the cavern collapse and kills the other dwarves above ground...

Ive tried the hermit challenge before but it never really worked, how can i go about killing those other 6's.

Also, i knew those elves were suspicious!
Ah well, ill just trade their incested offspring BACK to them! haha!

I thought about undermining the arcology later on, but I figure that's something to do only when I feel entirely finished with the project. As for killing those other 6, my method was to space it out. I never murdered more than one friend at a time, and those I did murder, I buried. The 7 starters all share a tomb, even as the 7th coffin lies empty.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 05, 2009, 06:11:07 am »

Could you record it in a story told format like with that other hermit dwarf who killed EVERYONE but in the end got killed by a HFS in the end, was pretty anti-climaxtic as i thought it was cheap as how she mined into the pit, meh.
Only if you can be bothered though :P
---
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 181