Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 203984 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #750 on: January 13, 2010, 01:47:35 pm »

I've been fooling around with making a drowning chamber, but I feel mine is needlessly complicated. What is one very simple method of making a drowning chamber?

Get the target into the kill box. Raise the drawbridge. Feed water in from above. Wait. Drain water out the bottom.

How does that compare to your method?

Site the impassable pump tiles as part of the wall. Seal the entrances with doors or bridges. Lever-operation prevents break-ins by thieves.
Drainage is a must. Either a bridge-sealed hole, or a grate into the brook's infinite drainage.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 13, 2010, 02:21:19 pm »

I've run into a bit of a problem with my fort.

Basicaly, a little to the north of my fort there is a channel filled with water. It is nine tiles wide and there is a one tile wide bridge spanning it. Recently a couple of kobold thieves were discovered and they ran away. One of them decided to run away to the north, over my bridge. As it so happened, my miner was on the north side and wanted to cross at the same time. I activated my miner, and he fought the kobold on the bridge, or at least tried to. The kobold dodgen his blows, straight into the channel.

This puts me in a pickle. The kobold is just sitting there. The water is changing from 4 deep to 5 deep, so the kobold is not drowning. I have no crossbows or bolts, so I cannot shot him. Getting military to stand on the bridge above him does nothing. My military will not enter the water to fight him. My dwarves cannot do anything outside, as they are too scared of the kobold to leave the fort. I cannot pump any water into/out of the channel, as the mechanic is too scared of the kobold. What can I do?

also, to repeat my question from earler - my fort has not gotten the dwarven caravan or any migrants (I have gotten an elf caravan, though). Is this normal?

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 13, 2010, 02:45:49 pm »

I've run into a bit of a problem with my fort.

Basicaly, a little to the north of my fort there is a channel filled with water. It is nine tiles wide and there is a one tile wide bridge spanning it. Recently a couple of kobold thieves were discovered and they ran away. One of them decided to run away to the north, over my bridge. As it so happened, my miner was on the north side and wanted to cross at the same time. I activated my miner, and he fought the kobold on the bridge, or at least tried to. The kobold dodgen his blows, straight into the channel.

This puts me in a pickle. The kobold is just sitting there. The water is changing from 4 deep to 5 deep, so the kobold is not drowning. I have no crossbows or bolts, so I cannot shot him. Getting military to stand on the bridge above him does nothing. My military will not enter the water to fight him. My dwarves cannot do anything outside, as they are too scared of the kobold to leave the fort. I cannot pump any water into/out of the channel, as the mechanic is too scared of the kobold. What can I do?

also, to repeat my question from earler - my fort has not gotten the dwarven caravan or any migrants (I have gotten an elf caravan, though). Is this normal?

What I would do if you really can't get any bolts and xbows, is from the same level as water and kobold, have your miner dig out an area for the water to spread out on, and then breach the channel, activate your miner, and send him in to fight in the now thinning out water.  Once hes dead, build a wall, and continue to fill

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #753 on: January 13, 2010, 03:30:57 pm »

What I would do if you really can't get any bolts and xbows, is from the same level as water and kobold, have your miner dig out an area for the water to spread out on, and then breach the channel, activate your miner, and send him in to fight in the now thinning out water.  Once hes dead, build a wall, and continue to fill

Maybe built a section of floor above the Kobold attached to a support, remove the support and drop the rocks on his head?
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 13, 2010, 05:25:03 pm »

Dig a new entrance, wall off the old one.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 13, 2010, 05:34:43 pm »

I have a question of my own.

What does it mean when a megabeasts name is flashing, or do they always flash? The reason I ask is because the new fort that I'm about to found has a cave in the local area of the embark (not the embark area itself, just in the same region tile when viewed from embark screen) which has a titan as a current resident.

I made a look and check it out embark on the cave (and plopped right next to the titan, lol. I paused before it did anything) and found the titan with its name flashing like it was a legendary peasant. Its completely healthy and I expect some Fun later when it decides to visit my new fort a couple of miles (I think) away.

Anybody know the answer to this one? I've never encountered a megabeast myself, so I have no idea if the name is suppoused to flash or not.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 13, 2010, 05:37:41 pm »

Megabeasts always flash, I believe.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 13, 2010, 07:55:45 pm »

How can I supply myself with the four B's from wood that every fortress needs - Beds, Bolts, Barrels, and Bins - if I keep getting ambushed?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 13, 2010, 07:57:25 pm »

Either turn off invaders, make a military to whack the ambushes, ask for wood from the traders, or start a TC farm.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 13, 2010, 07:57:58 pm »

Make bone bolts instead. Also make an underground tree-farm and hole up when things start growing.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 13, 2010, 08:20:16 pm »

I want to fight some goblins (e.g. not turn them off), and I have a pretty decent military with an Axe Lord, but I can't control the whole map - some guys are liable to get killed. Also, wood is a bit expensive.

How can I get more animals for bone bolts?

The tower cap thing sounds good. I have an "underground" pool, but it extends from ground level up, not down (it's in the mountain). How can I build a TC farm/well with this? (the well's really the problem here - I need to get the water down somewhere where I can pull it up, but not let the pressure kill off my fortress)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 13, 2010, 08:24:28 pm »

To safely secure an area (in this case, your entire forest), you can have a miner dig around on the level underneath the surface using up-stairs as designations, then channel out the area above the up-stairs - the miner will channel out the tiles from below, thus securing an area without exposing any dwarfs. Then just send your woodcutters in, possibly also building a wall within your new moat to protect them from bolts and so on.

If you're dealing with ambushes, you might very well trap one inside your fort. In which case... fun is imminent!

As for tower-cap farms: Once you've uncovered the pool (or, incidentally, an underground river), ALL water that's subterrenean can generate tower-cap saplings on a tile. If you have another water source, it's best to dig out a large area near it, flood it (even 1/7 is enough), and drain it out. The muddied tiles will soon produce tower-cap saplings. Keep in mind it'll take a few years for the tower-caps to grow.

And animals: Just take like a male or female mule dog or something and use the pit function (i to designate a pit zone over an open space, then P to say what you want to shove in) and put them into a giant pit with a bridge at the top. They'll breed over a few years exponentially, and then you can pull the lever and they'll explode into bits for lots of bone when the bridge retracts.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:35:43 pm by Retro »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 13, 2010, 08:32:21 pm »

And animals: Just take like a male a female mule or something ...

I know that your choice of animal here was probably completely random, but you just happened to choose a sterile animal that cannot breed as your example for breeding  8)
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 13, 2010, 08:36:13 pm »

And animals: Just take like a male a female mule or something ...

I know that your choice of animal here was probably completely random, but you just happened to choose a sterile animal that cannot breed as your example for breeding  8)

...Sigh. Fixed :(

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 13, 2010, 09:28:39 pm »

Genius! On the channeling-up thing, I mean.
So if I understand you correctly, I designate (but do not actually carve out) a mass of upstairs on sublevel 1 (the first underground level). Subsequently, I designate level 0 (ground level) to be channeled, making a moat. I surround a patch of forest with the moat, and I can chop there without getting ambushed. Is this right?
The pool seems to be my only big water source, unfortunately. I do have a few murky pools, but those are very limited.
For the animals: Do you mean put them in the pit? I don't understand, how would retracting a bridge at the top of a pit kill everything in the bottom of the pit?

Thanks for all the help!
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 181