Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204598 times)

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #810 on: January 17, 2010, 02:28:35 pm »

okay i have a quick question, I'm tried to find the answer via wiki, and the forum, but due to the question, its easier to just ask.

Okay, lets say I build a water wheel over a brook and anchor it to a solid construction. This brook is in a temperate zone (it freezes during winter) so will the brook freezing over cause the water wheel to deconstruct, or will it just cause the wheel to stop?
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: January 17, 2010, 02:34:06 pm »

It will stop, probably for good. You'll need to deconstruct and rebuild to make it work, according to the wiki.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: January 17, 2010, 03:12:14 pm »

alright, another water wheel question.

It has been a while since i've toyed around with dwarf fortress. I remember that you needed a water level of at least 4/7 with flow to power water wheels, and that my power plant ran off of a resevoir wasn't 100% efficent. Assuming that the water is coming from a resevoir, and not an infinate water source, will the water wheels generate more power as the water level nears 7/7? (I understand that at 7/7 the water wheels stop because there isn't any flow)
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 17, 2010, 03:32:25 pm »

There's a difference between the flow that pushes items and creatures around (what you are talking about) and flow that's needed for waterwheels.
The former only works with less than 7/7 water as it has something to do with the fluctuation of depth while the latter is just a flag for specific water tiles and has nothing to do with depth at all. A River (or channeled out brook) can power as many waterwheels as you need, though the level is 7/7 except for a few tiles where it exits the map. Also, water wheels produce 90 power (actually produce 100 and consume 10 at the same time), no matter if the water is 4/7 or 7/7 deep.
If you're not against using some game exploits, have a look at perpetual motion machines (on the water wheel page on the wiki). They're extremely useful when you need lots of power.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 17, 2010, 04:05:01 pm »

Water wheels are binary. They either produce power through flow, or they do not. There is no middle ground.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 17, 2010, 06:59:17 pm »

Difficulties draining a brook:

I dug a aqueduct from brook to chasm. Didn't even make a dent in the brook. Any ideas why?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: January 17, 2010, 08:03:39 pm »

Pretty sure brooks have infinite water.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 17, 2010, 09:06:09 pm »

Yes, but the wiki implies over here http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Dam#Draining_Method that you can still drain it.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 17, 2010, 09:19:54 pm »

Bigger aqueduct. Obviously not enough pressure going through.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 17, 2010, 09:51:52 pm »

Yes, but the wiki implies over here http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Dam#Draining_Method that you can still drain it.

In order to "drain" it, you must open a hole underneath it so that when the water paths over that spot, it will go down before going forward.  That way it will go down in to your aqueduct before going over it along it's normal path.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: January 17, 2010, 10:30:16 pm »

Just got three Moghoppers from the elves just now, never seen them before but I hear you can extract things from them...

1. Can you extract from Tame Moghoppers.
2. Do they live after the extraction?
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: January 17, 2010, 11:36:31 pm »

Bah! I have this totes excellent labyrinth set up with cage traps in it. I saw my dwarves load them with my own eyes - only one was unloaded, and all the others were light green. But now I see a kobold ambush walking over the traps with impunity! What's going on?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: January 17, 2010, 11:43:02 pm »

Bah! I have this totes excellent labyrinth set up with cage traps in it. I saw my dwarves load them with my own eyes - only one was unloaded, and all the others were light green. But now I see a kobold ambush walking over the traps with impunity! What's going on?

Kobolds have this naaasty little creature token named [trAPAVOID]. Your traps are useless, sadly. Getcher military on!

Incidentally, kobolds don't ambush in squads until they've stolen enough of your valuables, so your traps-only entrance is the cause of the kobolds being able to steal your goods in the first place. You can fix this by using b-v to build ropes or chains and assign animals (preferably war dogs) to them. Animals will always spot things that come within a tile of them, so a few of them in a line will stop those kobold sneakers.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: January 17, 2010, 11:44:16 pm »

They have the [trAPAVOID] tag and the [SKULKING] tag. The [SKULKING] tag I think, in effect, does the same thing as [trAPAVOID].

They are incredibly easy to secure against honestly.

Edit: ninja'd

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: January 17, 2010, 11:45:08 pm »

This post was made to say the exact same stuff but I was double ninja'd.

You's lousy blokes.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 181