Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204491 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tyhe Little Questions Thread
« Reply #825 on: January 17, 2010, 11:47:53 pm »

Lol

Just got three Moghoppers from the elves just now, never seen them before but I hear you can extract things from them...

1. Can you extract from Tame Moghoppers.
2. Do they live after the extraction?

Yea, you can get 'Mog Juice' from them. Its useless other than a trade good, not sure if it can be used in cooking though.

I'm pretty sure they get killed in the proccess.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #826 on: January 17, 2010, 11:50:03 pm »

Dang, I thought only thieves had trapavoid, not military.
Oh well, I better train up some wrestlers or something to defend the entrances.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: January 17, 2010, 11:54:15 pm »

Dang, I thought only thieves had trapavoid, not military.
Oh well, I better train up some wrestlers or something to defend the entrances.

Traps don't affect friendlies (your dwarves, tamed animals, and traders) unless they fall unconscious on the trap for whatever reason.

Trust me, a 100% effective way to stop the kobolds is to have a three tile wide corridor (or at least put a three tile wide chokepoint somewhere) along your entrance, install some chains and put some animals on them.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 18, 2010, 02:00:38 am »

So having quite some difficulty finding a good site that has magma on it, I've yet to have any actual dealings with magma and I'd just like to clear this up before I bathe the world in it.

Say the top of a pipe is several z-levels up. if I dig a channel from the highest point the magma is on to the edge of the hill it's on, would that cause the magma to overflow and cover every z-level below it? Or does magma not flow that strongly?

And can magma overflow if I dig a tunnel for it but have one part of the tunnel exposed?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 18, 2010, 02:12:03 am »

I need to get me some doggies then.
Unfortunately all my animals are dudes. I mean I have three groundhog dudes, two mule dudes, and two dog dudes. Probably a grizzly bear dude or something too. I've been trying to get a nice lust pit going on so I can get bones for bolts, but the elves never bring me any females...
Well, they might next year. I've just gotten my airlock and winding passageway of traps and marksdwarfs in order, so I've only had the one year of trading - I hope for some good stock the next.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 18, 2010, 02:15:04 am »

So having quite some difficulty finding a good site that has magma on it, I've yet to have any actual dealings with magma and I'd just like to clear this up before I bathe the world in it.

Say the top of a pipe is several z-levels up. if I dig a channel from the highest point the magma is on to the edge of the hill it's on, would that cause the magma to overflow and cover every z-level below it? Or does magma not flow that strongly?

And can magma overflow if I dig a tunnel for it but have one part of the tunnel exposed?

The wiki has your answers...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 18, 2010, 02:39:41 am »

The wiki has your answers...

Ah, I forgot that was there.

That and if I'm really unsure of something I don't like to rely on the wiki because, as most people say, it's outdated and sketchy at best in many fields.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: January 18, 2010, 07:10:59 am »

If I capture it, is it possible to use it as a neverending supply of silk? Or should I just sell it to the mountainhomes for that anvil I'm still lacking.

Do not sell it. Unless for roleplaying reasons, that's ridiculously wasteful in the case of a creature as rare and useful as this. Even just shooting it for experience would make more sense, seeing how you can crank out trade goods in the form of prepared meals and even stone crafts (though I wouldn't recommend the latter for anything other than the aforementioned roleplaying reasons, since the former is obscenely valuable and available in potentially never ending amounts).

A caught GCS is useful all right. It shoots webs at anything that aggravates it, so if you put it behind two layers, one of fortifications, the other of floodgates or a raised bridge, you can move some of your guys near it (if you draft them, remember to make sure that they're not carrying crossbows). It will then proceed to shoot webs at them. After you've had enough for now, you raise the bridge, close the floodgates or otherwise block its line of sight, and tell your weaver to collect webs. The part about blocking its line of sight is obviously important, not just to stop it from webbing all over the place, but most importantly to make sure your civilians don't get scared by it.

You can later tame it, after you get the dungeon master noble. If you do that, it will stop webbing and scaring your guys, but you will be able to use caged goblins, or possibly wild animals, to aggravate it the same way you did with your dwarves earlier.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:13:04 am by assimilateur »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 18, 2010, 08:32:41 am »

You can later tame it, after you get the dungeon master noble. If you do that, it will stop webbing and scaring your guys, but you will be able to use caged goblins, or possibly wild animals, to aggravate it the same way you did with your dwarves earlier.

I've yet to mess around with a GCS farm yet, but from what I've heard, it's better overall to actually avoid taming a feral GCS. Admittedly, your dwarves will be terrified of it once it's released, but apparently it's kind of difficult to get it to web goblin invaders and the like. It seems that in the world, it's more or less Team Dwarf vs. the world, and the enemies of your enemies are friends with each other. Plus utilizing an untamed creature is all kinds o' Fun. Still, it'll work either way.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: January 18, 2010, 09:55:06 am »

Do doors slow dwarfs movement?

And what is the consequence (if any) of a dwarf's bedroom being passed through or having the door open.

I'm trying to make a bedroom scheme where 2 rooms share a central door that is in a hallway so other dwarfs would pass through.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: January 18, 2010, 09:57:15 am »

Still, it'll work either way.

Now that I think about it, won't a tame GCS be scared of invaders? Most other animals seem to avoid monsters, and only fight when cornered, so a tame GCS might end up in the corner instead of webbing goblins. Accordingly, I second your recommendation of leaving it feral*.

* If one did tame it after all, and it ended up being scared of invaders, this would most likely easily be fixed by modding the GCS to be trainable (this can be done without generating a new world, believe it or not). A war GCS should, by any stretch of the imagination, attack goblins just fine.

Do doors slow dwarfs movement?

And what is the consequence (if any) of a dwarf's bedroom being passed through or having the door open.

I'm trying to make a bedroom scheme where 2 rooms share a central door that is in a hallway so other dwarfs would pass through.

Don't know about that slowing down thing, but there is one downside to having your dwarves' bedrooms passed through: noise. Hauling furniture is supposed to be noisy, so your dwarves will get thoughts like "slept uneasily due to noise lately". This isn't a serious problem, because things like good food and drink, and a legendary dining room should compensate for this.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 10:00:30 am by assimilateur »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: January 18, 2010, 11:52:03 am »

That reminds me: is it possible to get uber-legendary dining rooms? I had a smallish, 10*10 dining room, with one wall double-lined with statues - so about 20 statues. It was supposedly legendary - it was my only one, and all my dwarves were pumped about having dined in a legendary dining room. Then, I made one about four times bigger, and placed upwards of 100 statues in it - will it make dwarves even more joyous or just the same?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 18, 2010, 11:59:38 am »

I think the good thought values are bound to how good something is. I.e. there's a fixed mood bonus for a fine room, then for a fantastic one, up to a legendary one, and way I understand it, there isn't anything better than that. I might be wrong, though.

Regardless, packing your dining room (as well as bedrooms, and the like) with fancy furniture is far from useless, mood-wise, as they will get good thoughts from admiring something, especially if it's something they like.

On the topic of liking things: a preference for something makes a dwarf appreciate it more. This may sound obvious, but I'm pointing it out because one might be tempted to think that their likes and dislikes were just meaningless fluff. For example, my temporary dining room is just 5x5, carved in rough obsidian, with five tables and chairs made out of obsidian by a dabbling mason. Something as spartan as what I've just described is already legendary to one of my founders who likes obsidian.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 12:04:35 pm by assimilateur »

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: January 18, 2010, 12:13:39 pm »

Speaking of room values - how does the type of stone/gems in the walls of the room affect this, exactly?  I know it must, because the dwarven economy just arrived, and the rooms I built in the malachite vein are more expensive than the limestone ones.  There are a few that are 3 or 4 times more expensive than all the rest, too, but I can't find anything that would explain why.

Dumb question #2: Is selling stuff made of (or decorated with) bones to elves verboten, or do they only care about trees?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 18, 2010, 12:19:58 pm »

Hm. That's a shame...
My legendary +5 mason died a while ago, he was much loved. Lokum, his name was. I think I'll construct a large tomb (the first I've ever made) in his honor... he was truly great.
But that's beside the point. What can I spam to make more legendary masons, and what can I do with them? (I already have hundreds of statues filling every bedroom, and a lot of legendary bedrooms with 30 or so statues besides)
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 181