Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204521 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #840 on: January 18, 2010, 12:32:23 pm »

Speaking of room values - how does the type of stone/gems in the walls of the room affect this, exactly?  I know it must, because the dwarven economy just arrived, and the rooms I built in the malachite vein are more expensive than the limestone ones.  There are a few that are 3 or 4 times more expensive than all the rest, too, but I can't find anything that would explain why.

As far as I know, wall or floor materials of a room count the same way furniture would. This makes walls made out of soap or expensive materials potentially very valuable.

Malachite itself should be the same value as limestone, but if some of the walls or floors in the rooms in question are chrysocolla, that should make them more valuable.

What can I spam to make more legendary masons, and what can I do with them? (I already have hundreds of statues filling every bedroom, and a lot of legendary bedrooms with 30 or so statues besides)

You should make blocks. Those have the advantages of being more compact (one piece of furniture needs one tile in a stockpile, whereas 10 [I think] blocks fit in a bin) and having no quality levels. The latter factor is advantageous in that it lets you dump useless blocks without having to micromanage and save potential masterwork* (but otherwise useless) items.

* Destroying a masterpiece has the potential of causing a very bad though, especially if it's a dwarf's only masterpiece.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 18, 2010, 12:36:22 pm »

600 blocks will take a dwarf from 0 experience to legendary in masonry, 967 to get them from 0 to legendary+5. Since blocks don't have quality modifiers it is a great way to train the masons and they fit in bins.

EDIT: ninja'd
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 18, 2010, 12:42:42 pm »

Man! That sounds great. I'll do that, thanks!

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 18, 2010, 12:52:13 pm »

Malachite itself should be the same value as limestone, but if some of the walls or floors in the rooms in question are chrysocolla, that should make them more valuable.

Yeah, now that I think about it, I think it was the ones in the Magnetite vein, which the wiki says is worth four times as much.  Could be that there was some platinum in there I forgot about, too.  (Come to that, is there any way to make them cheaper, or should I just dig it all out and smelt it?)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 18, 2010, 12:59:59 pm »

Where can I get me some ore? I mean, all I seem to have is gems, two pockets of platinum (on the bottom level at least, I'm strip-mining the whole level), and a decent bunch of tetrahedrite but no copper or iron ores... I think I marked flux on the finder, so that's probably there, but my stuff sucks.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 18, 2010, 01:09:45 pm »

Yeah, now that I think about it, I think it was the ones in the Magnetite vein, which the wiki says is worth four times as much.  Could be that there was some platinum in there I forgot about, too.  (Come to that, is there any way to make them cheaper, or should I just dig it all out and smelt it?)

The value of magnetite should be 10, which is actually 5 times as high as limestone and other flux, and 10 times as high as "generic" stone. What this means is that rooms dug out from magnetite, not to mention other, even more valuable ores (you mention platinum, which has a value of 40, if I'm not mistaken) will be pretty damn expensive.

Digging it all out will still leave you with floors of magnetite, and I think those are exactly as valuable as walls. Covering those magnetite floors with floors made out of less valuable stone is the only way I can think of that might possibly make those rooms less expensive, but I don't think it would work. It's more likely to just add the value of the newly-made floors to the magnetite floors beneath them.

I think you have only two realistic options:
1. Dig out rooms in limestone or whatever else you can find that's less expensive than magnetite, or
2. Disable rents. As someone who never plays with economy on, I don't know whether that will even work post-facto.

Where can I get me some ore? I mean, all I seem to have is gems, two pockets of platinum (on the bottom level at least, I'm strip-mining the whole level), and a decent bunch of tetrahedrite but no copper or iron ores... I think I marked flux on the finder, so that's probably there, but my stuff sucks.

Just to clarify, tetrahedrite is a copper ore. You should look on the wiki or in your raws for info on which stone layers contain which kind of ores. Or you could do it like me, if you're greedy, and mod your raws to contain more ores. PM me for details, if you're interested (I'm not gonna post my little "guide" here, as I've already posted it a couple of times on these forums, and I don't want to bore people).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 01:13:38 pm by assimilateur »

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 18, 2010, 01:19:02 pm »

In the init file, you mean?  Probably worth a shot.  Though, I'm probably going to have to dig more rooms anyway, since I got bored a while ago and had my migrant engravers smooth all the walls, so they're all more expensive than they should be.  This is actually the first fortress I've ever had that survived long enough for the tax collector to arrive, and even if everyone gets evicted and starts tantrumming it's still going down as a success, IMO.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 18, 2010, 01:24:07 pm »

Yeah, I'm talking about the zero_rent setting in the init. I'm not sure if it'll work, because the economy proper can't be disabled once it triggers; hence, the same might be true for rents.

vturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 18, 2010, 02:00:54 pm »

I've got a tame dragon sitting around that I should probably do something with.  I'm thinking a dragon pillbox outside the front gate sounds like fun.  Will their firebreath go through fortifications?

Making some kind of trash/guest/noble incinerator might be nice as well.  Will firebreath ignite lignite/coal/graphite, or will something else burning on the same tile (like a XXpig tail sockXX) light them?

In the unlikely event that noone has performed those experiments I'll be happy to perform them.  I just thought I'd check first.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 18, 2010, 03:58:05 pm »

Dragon fire burns friend and foe, but I don't believe it burns dropped items. also unless it's killed before, you'd have to persuade it to kill your nobles (like tying up a goblin on the other side of the room or something.)

EDIT: do megabeasts leave if they've been on the map too long?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 05:21:22 pm by Heliman »

vturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: January 18, 2010, 05:53:56 pm »

I was planning on pitting goblins into it's firing range.  I might try it later tonight if I get time.  I'm guessing it may not work as I've never seen it referenced anytime the lignite bin trick is being talked about.  It's usually easier to get a dragon where you want it than magma.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: January 18, 2010, 06:32:47 pm »

Hmm, well technically if you were to pit a male and a female dragon into the same 1 tile in such a way that they couldn't move but could see the enemy, they would eventually breed so much that there would be enough dragons to create a constant stream of fire whenever an enemy is present. Sure it would plunge the world back into the age of myth, but it would be totally cool.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: January 18, 2010, 07:32:26 pm »

Pretty sure megabeasts don't breed.  They don't in worldgen, at the least.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: January 18, 2010, 07:38:36 pm »

Breeding in worldgen isn't the same as breeding after embark. One difference is that the latter can be modded in.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: January 18, 2010, 07:59:58 pm »

Sure it would plunge the world back into the age of myth, but it would be totally cool.

Hehehe.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 181