Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204548 times)

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #915 on: January 23, 2010, 09:08:50 am »

Also: that's two times in a row that you've misspelled civilization.
The 17-volume set of the Oxford English Dictionary on the shelf behind me claims that civilisation is an acceptable spelling (although it does prefer civilization).

More importantly, though, why are some of my stockpiles full of weapons and armour?   That's three now that I could swear have changed designations at some stage during the game.  The most recent was a cloth & leather stockpile that, on inspection, also accepts weapons and armour.  Which explains why it's full of the bloody stuff.

I'm sure I didn't change them, unless there's a weird sequence of keypresses that I'm likely to use by mistake.  So why are they like that?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: January 23, 2010, 09:39:35 am »

The 17-volume set of the Oxford English Dictionary on the shelf behind me claims that civilisation is an acceptable spelling (although it does prefer civilization).

Civilization with an s for a z, perhaps, but I'm pretty sure two ls isn't acceptable at all.

More importantly, though, why are some of my stockpiles full of weapons and armour?   That's three now that I could swear have changed designations at some stage during the game.  The most recent was a cloth & leather stockpile that, on inspection, also accepts weapons and armour.  Which explains why it's full of the bloody stuff.

I'm sure I didn't change them, unless there's a weird sequence of keypresses that I'm likely to use by mistake.  So why are they like that?

I have no idea if that's normal, but I think I've seen something similar, namely empty barrels being filled with food, even though they sat in a stockpile which accepted lye barrels and wooden furniture. It looked as though they just put the food they were handling in the nearest empty barrel without waiting for it to be transfered to a furniture stockpile, nor bothering to carry it to the appropriate food stockpile afterwards.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: January 23, 2010, 11:27:58 pm »

What's up with microcline? Why do some people love it and most people hate it? It's just a blue economic stone...

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: January 23, 2010, 11:42:00 pm »

IT BURNS PEOPLES EYES OUT!
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: January 24, 2010, 01:13:53 am »

IT BURNS PEOPLES EYES OUT!
Trans: it's all of the the bright, blinding blue with none of the circus peanuts.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: January 24, 2010, 01:51:01 am »

...so?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: January 24, 2010, 01:54:33 am »

What's up with microcline? Why do some people love it and most people hate it? It's just a blue economic stone...

Mayday graphics have made you weak. It's not economic at all. It's an 'other stone'.

It's annoying because it pauses and snaps the screen to exploratory mining. And it's bright freaking blue and sudden.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: January 24, 2010, 02:04:32 am »

Ah, I see.
In other news, when I open my init files, I can modify them as I wish. However, opening other files like matgloss_stone_mineral gives me some crazy encrypted thing with a bunch of symbols. What could be going on?

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: January 24, 2010, 02:50:07 am »

Ah, I see.
In other news, when I open my init files, I can modify them as I wish. However, opening other files like matgloss_stone_mineral gives me some crazy encrypted thing with a bunch of symbols. What could be going on?

Open the one in raw/objects instead of data/objects

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: January 24, 2010, 03:00:56 am »

All right, thanks!

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: January 24, 2010, 03:50:32 am »

Mayday graphics have made you weak. It's not economic at all. It's an 'other stone'.

It's annoying because it pauses and snaps the screen to exploratory mining. And it's bright freaking blue and sudden.
oh shi-
im using mayday graphics and microcline blinds me...
if i go to use normal ascii graphics i believe ill look something like...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: January 24, 2010, 02:03:29 pm »

I found that after changing the standard colour scheme to a natural one found on the wiki, microcline and orthoclase become much more bearable / actually nice to look at. Doesn't help how often I strike them (as well as alunite) but hey. You do the best you can with what you have.

Dendou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: January 24, 2010, 03:33:40 pm »

I have a ghost child.  I had 2 babies in my fort and got a message that a snatcher had run off with an Amost Dadokakir.  I check the unit list and I still have both babies, niether are named Amost Dadokakir, and I see no baby snatcher.  I find the snatcher soon after on his way out and my military makes mince meat out of him.  I still don't see Amost Dadokakir.  I check the relationships of all my dwarves and find her parents and check her thoughts.  She is "happy to have been freed recently".  I zoom in to where she is and there is nothing there.

Where is my baby!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: January 24, 2010, 03:42:26 pm »

The message means that the snatcher already left the map with the child in question. The other infants, the ones that are still on your units list, have not been snatched. The "happy to be free" thought happens when a child gets out of the snatcher's bag due to the snatcher dying, but also happens if the snatcher makes it out of the map.

If you use the unit list to zoom to the other children, you'll find them on the map. If you zoom to a snatched child's location, it zooms to where they were grabbed from. Regardless, that child is lost to you now.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: January 24, 2010, 03:45:11 pm »

I have a ghost child.  I had 2 babies in my fort and got a message that a snatcher had run off with an Amost Dadokakir.  I check the unit list and I still have both babies, niether are named Amost Dadokakir, and I see no baby snatcher.  I find the snatcher soon after on his way out and my military makes mince meat out of him.  I still don't see Amost Dadokakir.  I check the relationships of all my dwarves and find her parents and check her thoughts.  She is "happy to have been freed recently".  I zoom in to where she is and there is nothing there.

Where is my baby!

For some reason I feel like saying that I see dead people.   Also, in a couple of days you'll realize you can't find your baby because you are the ghost.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 181