Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 443

Author Topic: Games Threshold Discussion and List  (Read 587450 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Games Threshold Discussion and List
« Reply #4275 on: January 20, 2013, 05:18:38 pm »

I really want to make a game where you have 5 people against each other as the premise, where each person has some amount of influence on the game in different ways, but it's tough to design.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: January 20, 2013, 06:33:21 pm »

Here's a five player idea that I just came up with:

ELEMENTAL MAFIA

There are five players and five roles secretly assigned: fire, air, water, earth and wood. Each element is allied with two other elements and is enemy with two other elements. A player wins when both their enemies are dead. The allegiances are as you'd expect:

Fire is allied with Air and Earth, enemy to Water and Wood.
Air is allied with Fire and Water, enemy to Earth and Wood.
Water is allied with Air and Wood, enemy to Fire and Earth.
Wood is allied with Water and Earth, enemy to Air and Fire.
Earth is allied with Wood and Fire, enemy to Water and Air.

Each day each player must choose to Lynch one other player and also Protect one other player (not themselves). These actions are performed publicly, no PMing is allowed. This encourages the players to spend their time seeking alliances. The day ends when ALL the players have assigned both an attacking and a defending action, and one person has more kills-minus-protects against them than any other player. You only find out what element another player is after they've been killed.

If everyone is uninformed, the game might be too random. Two possible solutions: either each player randomly knows the identity of one other player (thus sparking in-game analysis of what knowledge a person's lynch and protect votes might indicate); or each element has a secret power; or both.

Possible powers:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 06:37:18 pm by notquitethere »

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: January 20, 2013, 06:46:17 pm »

Ha! I came up with one myself.

Very different from yours, though.

It needs some touching up, but I'm going to share it anyway.

Please Note: If I actually intended to run it, I wouldn't post it here. I don't really think it's good enough to run, though I'd appreciate criticism. But something more than "it's bad" please.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: January 21, 2013, 06:20:15 pm »

I don't know if it's too early to say this or not, considering the current BM is still going strong, but I'd like to run the next BM, if no one objects to it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: February 04, 2013, 09:32:34 pm »

I want to host Revolution. It is actually better than Mafia. And I think I can make it even MORE fun with some nice flavour.

Would anyone be interested in me hosting a not-quite mafia?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: February 04, 2013, 09:34:24 pm »

I'd give the rules a look. I may play.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: February 04, 2013, 09:39:51 pm »

Basic Rules:
5-10 players, with town being Rebels and scum being Spies of the Evil Empire.
5 rounds/days.

Each round has two parts: the first is planning mode.  Someone is made "mission leader" (it goes in order). They select a team of players to go on the mission. Everyone votes as to whether or not to accept this team by sending a PM. I then reveal the ultimate results along with who cast what vote - if it passes, the game goes to mission mode, otherwise the mission leader mantle passes to the next player (this can happen a limited number of times, half the number of players rounded down, after which the mission fails).

During mission mode, everybody submits their mission action to me in secret, which can be either "success" or "fail". Failure is basically sabotage. It is assumed Rebels will always throw success (If the game goes well, I might add more actions to spice it up), but spies can choose to throw a success or a failure. I then reveal the total number of failures (but not who cast them) and whether or not the mission as a whole failed.

Depending on the mission, the spies need one or two failures to make the mission a failure.

The team that wins the most rounds wins the game, and missions get progressively harder by virtue of requiring larger teams.

Obviously, the purpose of the game is to identify the scum and NEVER EVER send them on missions. But players don't get eliminated, so everyone gets to play the whole game instead of being immediately knocked out.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:31:08 pm by GlyphGryph »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: February 04, 2013, 09:55:40 pm »

Sounds like Mafia Roll To Quest.  Interested.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: February 04, 2013, 10:17:09 pm »

If you reveal who voted what after the mission, isn't it rather easy to identify the spies?

I think I'm missing something.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: February 04, 2013, 10:25:38 pm »

The votes revealed or for whether or not to accept the proposed team. Not for mission failure and success - the only thing revealed there is the NUMBER of failures that were cast. Sorry, I accidentally put that in the wrong place. Moving and clarifying. :P

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: February 04, 2013, 11:36:40 pm »

I want to host Revolution. It is actually better than Mafia. And I think I can make it even MORE fun with some nice flavour.

Do you have credible sources to back up that assessment?

The votes revealed or for whether or not to accept the proposed team. Not for mission failure and success - the only thing revealed there is the NUMBER of failures that were cast. Sorry, I accidentally put that in the wrong place. Moving and clarifying. :P

That makes a world of difference. I would sign up again if possible. Seems interesting.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: February 04, 2013, 11:46:52 pm »

Do you have credible sources to back up that assessment?

Can't speak for how well it'll work on a forum setting, but I'd agree with that assessment for an in-person game.

Do note that the Scum DO NOT know who each other are, so it may have some of the same issues that Prince's guard had. Although since you don't have player elimination it might be more fun regardless.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: February 04, 2013, 11:47:55 pm »

Meph said it! IT MUST BE LAW!!!

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: February 04, 2013, 11:49:04 pm »

But the rules said Spies do know each other (and have a planning day) in the thread. They just can't talk once the game is officially underway.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: February 05, 2013, 12:35:41 am »

But the rules said Spies do know each other (and have a planning day) in the thread. They just can't talk once the game is officially underway.

I was just going off of the game I've played in person.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 443