Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 443

Author Topic: Games Threshold Discussion and List  (Read 585305 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: Games Threshold Discussion and List [Vote for games now!]
« Reply #5835 on: October 21, 2020, 08:29:57 am »

lol, webadict is one to talk

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: October 21, 2020, 11:04:27 am »

Sorry, I was out walking my dog's dinner and I had a surprise midterm final exam presentation late from my job vaca-moving car broke up with my girlfriend.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5837 on: October 21, 2020, 07:00:25 pm »

Sheesh, game hasn't even started yet and Web is making people think he's a dopp. Could just be a Kook, though.

Anyway, game is up!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: October 22, 2020, 08:34:52 am »

Sorry, I was out walking my dog's dinner and I had a surprise midterm final exam presentation late from my job vaca-moving car broke up with my girlfriend.

In the words of the kids now a days, "total sus".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: October 22, 2020, 01:05:42 pm »

In the words of the kids now a days, "total sus".
Hey, can anyone tell me how to vent like Shakerag? Can't figure it out.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5840 on: November 09, 2020, 06:38:48 pm »

Instead of the usual "kill-em-till-they-die" model of Mafia, how's about a Information Espionage style of game? I sorta started it out as a twist on the only cops version, but I think it probably still needs tweaks.

Game Mode Idea: Tracker Jacks

Here's the rules:
  • Day is unchanged (e.g. a plurality of voters can lynch a player each Day)
  • At the start of each Day, the players will be informed if they are current in a Lylo or Mylo situation.
  • There is no Mafiakill.
  • Each Mafia player may make an action other than their role actions to temporarily mark a town player.
  • Each Mafia player may make an action other than their role actions to turn a temporary mark into a permanent mark (Regardless of who made the mark on their team.)
  • If all living Town players have been marked (temporarily or permanently), the Mafia wins.
  • When a Mafia player is lynched, their temporary marks are removed.
  • At the end of each Night, all players that were targeted by an action will be known, though neither who performed those actions nor what actions will be divulged.

The essence of this game is that all roles would be a flavor of Tracker, but that each Tracker might have additional abilities that could help with their tracking. Honestly, after thinking through it a bit, I'm pretty sure it's missing something in there, but I'm not sure what. Ideas? Viability?

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: November 11, 2020, 07:45:24 pm »

I feel like the marking system is a little superfluous to the core idea of Information Espionage. However, I get why you included it:
  • It gives the Mafia an interesting two-fold choice. Can I risk taking a second action tonight? Who can I keep from being voted without looking suspicious about it?
  • The game requires a ticking clock to prevent the town from waffling about, and these "pseudo-kills" achieve that.

However, I think there's a way to achieve that with a more fitting ability:
  • Each Mafia player may make an action other than their role actions to temporarily steal a player's vote. (They cannot steal a fellow mafioso's vote.)
  • If they do, the target's vote doesn't count, and the mafioso's vote counts double. The real number of votes against someone is only revealed at the end of the day.
  • However, if the target is voting against the mafioso who stole their vote, the vote-steal has no effect.
Additionally, players must vote someone out every day.

I think this provides an interesting choice for the mafia (Can I risk a second action tonight? Early: Who will vote the same as many other people? Late: Who won't be voting me tomorrow?) while also keeping steady pressure on the town. Furthermore, having it be an ability that leaves clues behind at the end of the day compliments the setup's focus on Information Espionage.

What do you think?
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: November 11, 2020, 09:30:28 pm »

There seems to be some interest in me running another Paranormal since 26 ended so quickly.

How many people would want in on that?

Alternatively, how many people would want in on a Bastard Paranormal?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: November 11, 2020, 10:33:41 pm »

I feel like the marking system is a little superfluous to the core idea of Information Espionage. However, I get why you included it:
  • It gives the Mafia an interesting two-fold choice. Can I risk taking a second action tonight? Who can I keep from being voted without looking suspicious about it?
  • The game requires a ticking clock to prevent the town from waffling about, and these "pseudo-kills" achieve that.

However, I think there's a way to achieve that with a more fitting ability:
  • Each Mafia player may make an action other than their role actions to temporarily steal a player's vote. (They cannot steal a fellow mafioso's vote.)
  • If they do, the target's vote doesn't count, and the mafioso's vote counts double. The real number of votes against someone is only revealed at the end of the day.
  • However, if the target is voting against the mafioso who stole their vote, the vote-steal has no effect.
Additionally, players must vote someone out every day.

I think this provides an interesting choice for the mafia (Can I risk a second action tonight? Early: Who will vote the same as many other people? Late: Who won't be voting me tomorrow?) while also keeping steady pressure on the town. Furthermore, having it be an ability that leaves clues behind at the end of the day compliments the setup's focus on Information Espionage.

What do you think?
I think there are some holes where the Mafia gains an advantage at 1/3 of the players +1.

Assume M mafia players. They steal votes from M town players. The mafia now control 2M votes. The town control N-M votes. When N < 3M, the following happens. All mafia vote for a single player. If the remaining Town players vote them back,  it will be 2M-M vs. 3M-2M votes, where M players vote for the M mafia that took their votes.

There would need to be a bigger drawback, such as the mafia being able to steal a vote, and if that vote's owner votes them back, the town players gets BOTH their stolen vote and the mafia's vote as compensation. Then it still relies on the mafia getting to make a risky choice while giving them the benefits you listed.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: November 11, 2020, 10:34:12 pm »

There seems to be some interest in me running another Paranormal since 26 ended so quickly.

Yeah, but only if Vector promises to posts walls of text.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5845 on: November 12, 2020, 06:29:56 am »

I'm willing to play either, though a bastard paranormal sounds like fun.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: November 12, 2020, 09:55:44 am »

Oh, dear.  I might have to try and make time if a bastard paranormal is about.   

I remember Bastard Paranormal 2 being a blast.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5847 on: November 12, 2020, 03:10:37 pm »

I'd also propose running a game, as well.

Maybe something ridiculous, like a BYOR. Maybe something classic, like DF Mafia. Maybe something action light, like Vote Mafia. Or something else entirely, if you were interested. I technically have Sprg [Of] Hate on the backburner, but I'm pretty sure it simmered to death. Yeah, probably all blackened and stuff.

Anyone interested in those afterward?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: November 12, 2020, 03:24:25 pm »

Now is the resurgence!

I vote BYOR of course, crazy game which would hopefully draw people.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5849 on: November 12, 2020, 03:37:22 pm »

This could be good.

I'll put the Bastard Paranormal up into signups today and let it run through the weekend and hopefully get started by Monday.

It's not a long game if things go as I expect they will. But I think people will have a ton of fun with it.

And that gives Web time to figure out what he wants to do and he can kick off that game after that.

It's good to see some life in this sub-forum again!
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 443