Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36

Author Topic: Horrible Role Mafia - FoS Brigade? - Mafia Win  (Read 42371 times)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: Horrible Role Mafia - Day One - The Mafia Has Eyes
« Reply #225 on: January 27, 2010, 04:47:45 pm »

OH HAI GUISE

Going from the time of Mephansteras' list, least posts to most:
Apostolic Nihilist with 2(!) posts
Kashyyk and Solifuge with 3 posts
Me and RedWarrior0 with 5 (I'm so ashamed)
Nirur Torir with 8, ExKirby with 9.
Everyone else has broken at least 10.

Unvote anyone I'm voting.

Perhaps Apostolic Nihilist is scum with some manner of post restriction that he really wants to avoid. I could see that on Kashyyk or Solifuge, also. To be fair, RedWarrior0 or I could also fall reasonably within that category. But at 2 posts, Apostolic is certainly the best candidate.

Vector: Why would we lynch a survivor?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 27, 2010, 04:48:21 pm »

Cobalt, you've posted a good bit about Toony but your vote is still on Kashyyk. That looked like a random vote. Any reason why you've left it there?
Hasn't answered my second question. Has lurked.

Has, now, returned and STILL not answered the question.

Fair enough.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 27, 2010, 05:23:15 pm »

There was a question? What was it?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 27, 2010, 05:25:02 pm »

erm, What?

I'm going to go with what I think you meant, which is 'Which three would be the most powerful as a scum team?' Correct me if I'm wrong.
You're wrong. Assume you're scum. Who do you want on your team?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 27, 2010, 05:28:38 pm »

Who would I want on my team If I was scum?

I'm going to go with my usual philosophy of having two good active players and a lurker. I fit the lurker role, so I'd want two strong players. Mephansteras and Pandarsenic are by far the strongest players here so having one if not both off them would be good. Toonyman would be an interesting scum partner, but he's a little too erratic for my likes.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 27, 2010, 05:35:29 pm »

Satisfactory. Unvote Kashyyk
vote Vector
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 27, 2010, 05:58:03 pm »

I'm not scum, nor do I have a post restriction. I do have a pretty bad power that could lead to my death as early as N2, though. There's also a chance it'll catch scum.

ExKirby hasn't responded to my question on page 12, but whatever -- we have more important things to deal with. I was sort of waiting for a response.

Anyway, my reads?

ToonyMan - As Vector surmised, seems to be survivor. Overwhelmingly talkative (also, was that just a soft-claim?)

Pandarsenic - Scummy.
Vector - I can't say much either way. I don't like how he's trying to lynch a survivor (we need to find scum right now) but realistically, scum shouldn't want to lynch a survivor either.
Apostolic Nihilist - 2 posts! OBVSCUM
RedWarrior0 - Scum.
~~

The rest of my suspicion/scumlist will come later when I actually finish my homework. Sigh.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 27, 2010, 06:01:44 pm »

Leafy-san, please fix the players list.
Tilesets

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 27, 2010, 06:26:08 pm »

Unvote. Vote Kashyyk.
I'm here, no prods needed  :D

Kashyyk 3

I've only posted three times? felt like more...

Cobalt, you've posted a good bit about Toony but your vote is still on Kashyyk. That looked like a random vote. Any reason why you've left it there?
Thanks for calling that up, I was wondering.

Also, reads.

I'm thinking CK and AN. CK is throwing FoS's around like it was the end of the world, but never actually changing from me and put weight behind her accusations. I think AN might be scum as well, with his lurking, but I can't really say much about that, for obvious reasons.

PPE
Eduren: Probably her lack of posts
Defensive about your post count.
Possible buddying.
Pointing out people you suspect of scumminess, but not voting.
What's that about Eduren at the end? Something about a lack of posts?

Why don't you think ToonyMan is scummy?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 27, 2010, 08:03:57 pm »

Good eve, all.

Vector, I fear you are thinking entirely too deeply about three very content-light posts. I shall address the most scurrilous rumors first:

Oh wow... that was definitely Pentameter coming from Nirur Torir, though there was no set meter  so it's technically not Iambic. I love this game already.

Hmm... perhaps Nirur Torir is in fact a murderous Macbeth? What say you, knave?

Passive reaction-test.

I happen to be a literature geek, and thus Nirur Torir waxing Shakespearean completely on a whim made my day. The random vote was primarily to draw attention to how awesome this was, while also staying on topic with a "reaction-test."

The Pentameter isn't really my role, unfortunately. When I signed up, I decided to try it for my first post for no apparent reason. I'll drop it.

Awww... but I liked it.  :-\

Also, RedWarrior0 where were you on the night before last? And the night before that? Are you a villain? Are you even here?!?

Buddying with Nirur Torir.  Terrible RVS questions, all in the same vein.  Flopping.  Lurker-hunting.  Potentially searching for easy lynches.  High-tension behavior.

Hysteria strikes again. To say that I'm "buddying" with Nirur is a stretch at best. I loved the poetics, but that says nothing for his role or team, and anyone with half a brain knows the difference between complimenting a person, and siding with them as a player. I've played this game with close friends all the time, and yet I still lynch/night kill them without trouble. There is a separation between game and reality here.

Also, having seen that RedWarrior0 hadn't yet posted here either, and knowing that the same thing had happened in other games running parallel to this one, I asked "Are you here?" honestly... it's a matter of seeing if he is a career lurker, or was actually away at length. The rest is just how I play; if you can't deal with someone treating a game like a game, while also taking passive critical reads of players and their statements, you'll have to deal.

I suspect Christopher Lloyd did a better job at this role than I. It's still quite awesome though.

Also, Unvote RedWarrior0. Glad of you to join us!

Unvotes and then disappears after RVS, when things start heating up and getting more difficult.  She fits the scum profile perfectly.

Any more questions?

After the initial posts, I dropped into heavy lurk-mode this game. I work a 9-to-5, and am looking for an apartment IRL right now, which has occupied the better part of my time during the week. This is also in part a tactical experiment, attempted in response to my fate in Aztec Mafia. Being vocal, putting myself out there, and proposing sound logical plans for the town got me lynched on the first day, which was infuriating because my plan involved sacrificing myself for the Town during the Night, and was totally ruined.

Also, as for any more questions, I would ask why you're working so hard to spit fire and venom at everyone. I can understand encouraging activity in lurkers, which is what I'm passing this off as, but in so doing you're making sweeping generalizations based on an ABSENCE of information, which is a huge logical fallacy. You can't prove what -is- by using a lack of available information.

Also, you may consider me sufficiently prodded. I'll be observing for a wee bit yet. When's the deadline?

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 27, 2010, 08:33:08 pm »

From bottom up:

Sidestepping? Please. Before I was going to touch that I wanted to know why Vector thinks we should lynch a survivor, if a survivor is really what Toony is. Self-preservation isn't only for survivors, y'know. It's also something scum do. But lynching survivors isn't an issue until approaching Lylo.

Also, now that you mention it, you avoided posting until quite some time after the thread started - trying to think up a way to cope with some manner of day-horrible-ness?

You say I'm scummy then don't vote me. Fair enough, if you're confident in RedWarrior0.

You're awfully quick to dismiss Toony as a survivor.

OKAY, bullshit on that WIFOM about your power. I tried that once. As the Scumbucket in Webby's BYOR2. I'm not backing off on this. You're scum.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 27, 2010, 08:59:23 pm »

Player list is fixed.

Quote from: Less than 24 hours left in this weirdly long day
ToonyMan: Mephansteras, ExKirby, Vector, Eduren
Apostolic Nihilist: Kashyyk, Pandarsenic
Mephansteras: ToonyMan
Eduren: Nirur Torir
Vector: CobaltKobold
RedWarrior0: Apostolic Nihilist

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 27, 2010, 09:01:37 pm »

Day Extension.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 28, 2010, 02:29:09 am »

Vector: Why would we lynch a survivor?

Why do you want to lynch a "Survivor" Vector?

Survivors aren't anti-town early game.

Things I completely forgot/didn't know: this fact.  Things I have been wrong about: Pandarsenic's meta.  Things I am doing: keeping my vote on ToonyMan, because either he's a survivor we don't want around, anyway, or he's some sort of terrifyingly obvscum.

I am not going to change my opinion based on whether or not some other people agree he is a survivor and decide lynching him is a bad idea.  They may be attempting to save a scumbuddy via an incorrect assumption on my part, so I will go with the definitive "he is not town, and that is all" and hope that he's mafia.

Oh wow... that was definitely Pentameter coming from Nirur Torir, though there was no set meter  so it's technically not Iambic. I love this game already.

Hmm... perhaps Nirur Torir is in fact a murderous Macbeth? What say you, knave?

Passive reaction-test.

I happen to be a literature geek, and thus Nirur Torir waxing Shakespearean completely on a whim made my day. The random vote was primarily to draw attention to how awesome this was, while also staying on topic with a "reaction-test."

Passively.  Your sentence structure informs me that you are passive.  It may be a character trait, or it may be a scumtell.  I cannot say I know which.

Hysteria strikes again. To say that I'm "buddying" with Nirur is a stretch at best. I loved the poetics, but that says nothing for his role or team, and anyone with half a brain knows the difference between complimenting a person, and siding with them as a player. I've played this game with close friends all the time, and yet I still lynch/night kill them without trouble. There is a separation between game and reality here.

Also, having seen that RedWarrior0 hadn't yet posted here either, and knowing that the same thing had happened in other games running parallel to this one, I asked "Are you here?" honestly... it's a matter of seeing if he is a career lurker, or was actually away at length. The rest is just how I play; if you can't deal with someone treating a game like a game, while also taking passive critical reads of players and their statements, you'll have to deal.

I suppose I have only half a brain, then.  You see, I'm accustomed to playing a very careful scumgame, grouping myself with other "sheep" players through whatever means I must.  Discussion of a common interest often helps with that.

Once a commonality is established, members tend to be more open to other groupings between oneself and another--i.e., the "foot in the door phenomenon."  With the creation of such groups, it becomes far easier to direct the town vote.

It is not a question of pre-existing relationships.  It is a question of generating a new relationship within the context of the game.  With careful generation of good in-game relationships, the game becomes far easier for scum.

Thus no, not hysteria.  Given that 2/3 of your posts contained something I would have done to grab myself an ally and the other one was pretty much fluff, I got worried.

I feel that I am treating this game like a game.  Perhaps that has something to do with how I play games... for me, the game is finding out how to best solve the game.  I hear that other people play Tetris for the fun of getting farther each time; I enjoy the iterative optimization problem.  Some people read books for the fun of getting caught up in a story.  Others find the fun in the expression of narrative structure and literary techniques.  What is the purpose of socializing?  Is it the joy of carefully constructing a surreal expression that makes others laugh?  Is it the pleasure of producing well-formed paragraphs to influence another's mind?  Is it the challenge of convincing someone else that you are a person like them?  No, it's probably something else that I don't quite understand, as was explained in the above examples.  This does not mean that either of us is wrong, but it does mean that we will find ourselves conflicting a bit.

What is enjoyable about making a forum post?  The careful employment of syntactic parallelism?  The construction of alliteration to enhance said parallelism?  The manipulation of size to provide subtle changes in tone?  This is what I enjoy, and it is how I "play."  Occasional paragraphs about seemingly unrelated subjects also tend to feature prominently.

Based on the manner in which I play this game, I cannot simply stand by and let you say nothing.  The ways in which we play this game are conflicting.  Thus I will press you a little from your passiveness, in hopes of gaining a basic model of your mentality and the patterns under which you operate.  If you cannot deal with others making attempts to find out how you think, that is most unfortunate.

Also, as for any more questions, I would ask why you're working so hard to spit fire and venom at everyone. I can understand encouraging activity in lurkers, which is what I'm passing this off as, but in so doing you're making sweeping generalizations based on an ABSENCE of information, which is a huge logical fallacy. You can't prove what -is- by using a lack of available information.

If I don't force reactions, I can't pick up reactions.  Without a sufficient body of text, I cannot determine who is scum and who is not.  I am making sweeping generalizations based on micro-data, which tends to work quite well.  Your objections provide me with the data I need to make further statements.  Thus I accuse others until I can leave them alone.  If I do not provide pressure, I am well aware that I will not be able to figure anything out.

There is no fire, venom, or mentions of sucking lemons.  There is just what you write, and what I see.  Then there is a calibration phase, which usually becomes loud and yelly as I try to find out if I am correct or incorrect.  Then either one of us dies or we both move on.  I do not understand what is so difficult for you to swallow about all this.

And now to you, CK...

Vector actively did not answer my question and is using tautologies. Getting my vote when Kashyyk answers.

Hi vector. Why are you scum?

I'm not.  What makes you think I am?
That's a pretty bad answer to my question. Why should I think you're town?

Let's see, you asked "Why am I scum," and then said "I'm not" is a poor answer.

You want me to prove something false?  Okay, I can do that.

Suppose that 1 + 1 = 1.  Then the scumteam and I are two separate entities, which means that the scumteam and I are one.  There!  Proof that I'm scum.

More seriously, this is complete bullshit.  You want me to talk... well, I'm talking, but pressing me over sheer inanities is preposterous.  I can't prove myself town in any method but the obvious and forbidden one, so I'm providing you with the correct answer: go figure it out yourself from my posts, because I can offer no definitive proof.  You should think I'm town based on my behavior, if you consider it townie; you should think I'm scum based on my behavior, if you consider it scummy.  That computation, however, you will have to do yourself, since it is based entirely on internal considerations and definitions.

A tautological argument?  Perhaps.  On the other hand, it is the best I can give.  I know I am town, but that does not necessarily mean you should think I am town.  You should think someone is town only if you have gained sufficient evidence yourself, and I cannot provide answers as to whether or not you have gained that evidence.  This response is perhaps insufficient in your mind, but there is only so much I can do.

Why do I say you're scum?  Because you're playing the same old "let's find a typo and call it hypocrisy!!" song and dance you tried when were scum together in Panda's BYOR.  Example A:

Toony, why are you continuing to blatantly lie?
Eduren, are you going to stop listening to others and vote independently without worry?  Because that's what I do.  I vote interdependently without worry and you're all wrong to vote me.

Further, vast numbers of FoS => passiveness, and what seems to be an extensive later-game attack involving Burden of Proof... which is a royally scummy strategy.  I also find it irritating that you attempted to pass off my compatriot's death as an appeal to emotion, even though absolutely no suspicion was on me... though that's simply personal irritation, more than anything that belongs in this game.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 28, 2010, 10:10:07 am »

Player list is fixed.

Quote from: Less than 24 hours left in this weirdly long day
ToonyMan: Mephansteras, ExKirby, Vector, Eduren
Apostolic Nihilist: Kashyyk, Pandarsenic
Mephansteras: ToonyMan
Eduren: Nirur Torir
Vector: CobaltKobold
RedWarrior0: Apostolic Nihilist
But the votecount is not.
Unvote. Vote Kashyyk.

Vector: You're defending Toony now. Furthermore, the "ter" that makes "interdependently" the antonym of "independently" is beyond the pale of "typographical error". Also it fits with the pattern of him writing patently, on-their-face trivially FALSE STATEMENTS. There are at least four or five now.

As for problems of language getting me in trouble, that happens most games I'm in-the BM,  BYOR, MSPAM (being known as roleblocker), by your assertion BYORPE...I guess it didn't happen in Neruz's Bastard but it wasn't exactly one in which I participated more than poking and prodding at the town.

To rephrase my question(s) so that you can perhaps understand it, though I no longer have any expectation of getting a meaningful answer from you, "What evidence would you use to suggest that you're scum?"
the second time "What evidence...town?" though you did seem to pass that one.
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36