Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 68

Author Topic: Cult - New Development Video (5-10-12)  (Read 110321 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Cult - v0.15 Tech Demo Released
« Reply #256 on: January 15, 2011, 04:05:39 am »

An update to the way that nations establish borders during worldgen:

The intent was to end up with more natural-looking borders. Nations now expand more naturally according to the type of terrain they're settling.

Terrain generation has also been tweaked somewhat to create more varied maps.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 15, 2011, 04:37:00 am »

This looks awesome. Not only because of all the reasons mentioned in this thread already, but also because it almost feels like a real world map. Can't explain why though, I suck at explaining these kind of things.

Also, 'almost' a worldmap because it's very clearly based on a rectangle. But that's probably the 'fault' of standard computer systems, I guess it'd be hard to change that without needing more memory. Maybe if it worked with several square or rectangular map pieces that fit together in a shape that could be but is not necessarly a rectangle? Anyway, don't let this rewrite your engine. It's but a slightly annoying reef in this sea of awesomeness. Or something.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 15, 2011, 10:28:41 am »

Ugh... Now I want to play this game (Really badly)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 15, 2011, 02:57:26 pm »

Here's another run with the new nation expansion algorithm. One of the unfortunate side-effects of this (slightly more complicated) algorithm is that it increases the amount of time necessary to create nations by a not-insignificant amount. I'm running this code on a fairly heftily-powered gaming laptop (dual core 2.26ghz, 4 gigs RAM, 1 gig graphics card) and it still takes ~3-5 minutes or so to run 150 years of expansion for land-heavy maps with a high random number of nation-states. Of course, my desktop at home that runs four cores at 4ghz a core would probably halve this time (or better), but I realize a lot of people will be working with older rigs, so I don't want to go too crazy here.

I am mildly tempted to go all hardcore and multi-thread the expansion process, since the way I've recoded it would be much more conducive to doing so without running into a bunch of weird conflicts. We'll see how that works out, it's not a priority at the moment.

150 years of initial expansion is more than adequate to create original nation borders. I figure they'll probably start warring in a second phase which I've yet to code. It's slightly less realistic, but it'll prevent the code from bogging down peoples' computers to a standstill. Most of these hard numbers (i.e., the 150 year setting) will probably be user-configurable along with many other worldgen settings, although it remains to be seen exactly how in-depth with this stuff I'll be in the end.

(Note to self: I really need to take a good long look at the language gen code and consider scrapping/rewriting it at some point in the near future. If there's anybody out there with a lot of experience at creating language/dictionary generation code, I'd love to chat/bounce ideas off one another.)

Just another quick map-gen:

Though it's pretty hard to tell at this scale, villages/cities/castles are now back into the nation gen process. I've reduced their frequency quite a bit (I didn't like the look of a map that was too tightly clustered with settlements, and I feel that the prospective adventurer should have to walk more than two tiles or so to reach civilization). It's also worth noting that there are some significantly-sized areas of unsettled wild. These types of places will probably eventually make great areas to start new civilizations/settlements should the player choose to go that route.

Also on the to-do list for now: make an actual dev blog. Though I will try to keep updating threads here and on the Doryen forums, I think it'd probably be wise to finally get an independent page set up at this point for the ease of both those keeping up with the project (and also for myself from a maintenance standpoint).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 03:50:21 pm by Lord Dullard »

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 16, 2011, 03:31:25 pm »

Very nice. Keep it up :3

What language are you writing this in, by the way? C++?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 16, 2011, 03:59:44 pm »

ahhhhhh....too cool...TOO COOL

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 16, 2011, 06:13:40 pm »

This is all coded in Python; however, I think some of the more processor-heavy parts of the code will be re-written as C/C++ extensions in order to improve efficiency. As much as I love Python, I think I'm going to have to get a bit 'closer to the metal', as it were, to avoid creating unbearable lag for those with slower rigs.

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 17, 2011, 10:20:42 am »

I'd love to see a dev. blog - I forgot which forum this thread was in, couldn't find it, and so thought development was dead. This game sounds truly awesome.

quip

• Bay Watcher
  • ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 17, 2011, 02:06:27 pm »

I need to get out of the roleplaying lower forums once in a while, it's only by luck I found this thread!
It looks amazing can't wait for some gameplay... Well done!
(Lurking)
Hell hath no fury like an angry vampire pimp.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 18, 2011, 08:34:41 am »

I WANT TO MAKE AN LP OF THIS. RIGHT. NOW.

In non capslock news...

Really looking good. How do you plan on making the conversion process work?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 18, 2011, 10:57:31 am »

Well, Cult now has a development blog, although the address is probably just a temporary one until such a time as I set up a site/forum for the game. The last host I used (godaddy) for a website offered a very simple Wordpress setup/installation to the server, so I could probably just convert everything once needed if I go with them again (which I probably will).

Not too much there for now, but expect to see more as updates are made.

ETA:

Any suggestions or ideas concerning the blog/as-of-yet-unmade website are more than welcome. I am relatively inexperienced at blogging (and site design, for that matter), so if you think you have constructive input, don't be afraid to send it my way.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 12:45:27 pm by Lord Dullard »

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 18, 2011, 07:19:56 pm »

Looks nice. A more lengthy introduction regarding future plans/goals would be nice though... I guess you could just copy/paste something from this thread.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 19, 2011, 12:41:30 pm »

Just popping into say: Do want.

Love the set up, love the arc of the game. Too many games shy away from religion and gods as a part of gameplay.

Very impressed with the tech demo too.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 19, 2011, 03:39:17 pm »

What are you using for graphical output?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 68