Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 68

Author Topic: Cult - New Development Video (5-10-12)  (Read 109883 times)

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
Re: Cult - v0.15 Tech Demo Released
« Reply #240 on: September 14, 2010, 08:50:02 am »

So alpha will be up in March?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:24:23 am by maxicaxi »
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #241 on: September 14, 2010, 02:53:02 pm »

Well, I can't make any promises. I would certainly like to have a very early alpha offering some amount of playability out by that point, but there are no guarantees when it comes to coding (or any interference my personal life might present). For now this is just a hobby so I have to prioritize and make sure I'm able to get licensed as an insurance producer successfully, not to mention saving enough for law school.

But I DO have two months off, so assuming I don't have to devote all of my time to studying (which I hope I don't as it would be pretty damned boring), I should be able to get some work on the game done. If I could ever turn this into a 'working' hobby or possibly even eventually a secondary income based on donations it would be awesome. I just don't want to be a 'starving artist'-type.

Realistically, though, even if there's not a playable alpha out by that point, I would be surprised if the worldgen process wasn't completely functional (pending further additions) by February or March. At the very least, by then I'd prefer to have fully generated worlds offering enough richness of information for me to start coding the actual first-person parts of the game.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 03:18:37 pm by Lord Dullard »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 14, 2010, 03:22:37 pm »

As a footnote, lately I've been thinking about adding professions to the game. Although I haven't really fleshed anything out yet, it occurred to me that I'd like to avoid railroading the player into being a 100% combat-oriented character if possible. Ideally it would be nice if the player could actually function as a high priest, judge, mercenary captain, doctor, or whatever they'd like (within reason), really. I'm not exactly sure how in-depth the various professions should be, because they shouldn't be the primary focus of the game, and I don't want to get too absorbed in coding a medieval job sim. But it would be nice if there was enough flexibility for the PC to be a rich, fat bureaucrat COMMANDING an army rather than being strictly limited to playing a general out whacking people in the front lines - should they choose.

Of course, choosing not to participate in combat will probably considerably restrict some aspects of character growth. Then again, perhaps (?) it should open up others.

More on this later, I suppose, since I have much more important things to work on in the meantime, but this is being inserted here under the assumption that I may come back to it later, or that a future player might remind me about it at some point should I happen to forget.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 03:30:54 pm by Lord Dullard »

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 26, 2010, 09:16:01 pm »

Still interested in this project! Don't stop working on it!
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 25, 2010, 02:41:54 am »

I plan on returning to this when I can. I am, however, stuck in New Jersey at the moment without my desktop OR any of my code. Presuming I'm able to make a trip back to Michigan at any time in the near future to transport my computer/other things here, progress should be forthcoming.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #245 on: November 25, 2010, 11:05:28 pm »

This sounds pretty interesting.  It also sounds like an idea I had, though it in a modern setting and you had to gather your cult and preparing for a global apocalypse.  Once it happened, if you were right, people were more likely to come and join your group as survivors, and it was on a much smaller scale.

On that note, I think it would be interesting to have cultures that evolved in response to their environment and beliefs.  So, a culture that has a belief that fire is bad and dangerous may have had a run-in with a fire god, causing them to want to worship more water-like things, and forbidding certain fire religions from their temples and meeting places (Or even the entire city or country, if enough people support the movement).  A positive experience leads towards a preference, a negative one to a fear or hate - Or it could even have the opposite effect, making people decide to prefer something out of fear or a desire to use that weapon (Or whatever) against someone else.

Things like forbidding First Aid in a culture might be hard to put in, though, because you either go without or have some basic limits - Generally, it's like gimping yourself and your people for a silly reason.  The reason that it would be complex is that it would only work if there were some way around it: You can't recieve first aid in combat, or it's alright to recieve magical healing.  Either way, it'd take up more time and effort to program and implement to all skills so that it'd make sense with everything.

If you can do it, that'd be great, but I wouldn't stop playing (or looking forward to) the game if that feature didn't make it.

One thing, though: Keep it simple.  Don't worry so much about the details that you'll burn yourself out.  That happens to me a lot when I start working on a project - You seem to be able to keep your mind focused on what you want, though.  Keep up the good work!
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 28, 2010, 03:14:44 pm »

I managed to have my all of my code sent to me via file transfer from Michigan, and I'm now using a gaming laptop that's powerful enough to reasonably continue making progress. So, work on Cult is resuming (to a greater or lesser degree).

I decided to go back and have another try at creating an algorithm for finding bays along a continental shoreline, but it's incredibly frustrating. Creating an algorithm probably wouldn't be hard in and of itself, but creating one that will work within the constraints of current computer capabilities without completely bogging down a PC is touchy.

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 28, 2010, 04:08:25 pm »

All right! Nice to have you back!
Would the bay finding thing be so that you could name them? (example: The Gulf of Garol) I could see how that could be helpful. Also, you could make cities occur more often on bays than on standard coastline for reasons of having a good port.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 04:17:28 pm by mr. macduggan »
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 06, 2011, 05:44:28 pm »

Bay names may be unrealistically difficult to implement.

I am currently in the process of beginning to tinker with procedurally generated creatures/gods/spirits/monsters.

Took a slight detour, however, to modify the map generation process to accept user-specified map sizes rather than a static 300x200 map grid. Of course, the 500x300 grids I've been playing with have taken a LOT longer to generate, but I suspect some people will consider it a worthwhile trade-off to be able to get supersized maps. Mini-maps should also be possible. In fact, theoretically, any map size should function properly, assuming its width and height are both divisible by ten.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 06, 2011, 06:26:04 pm »

Sample 500 x 300 map:

On to more pertinent tasks, I suppose. Like creature/god generation.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 06, 2011, 10:18:28 pm »

Super kick ass, I wish I knew maths & code as good as you.
Signature goes here.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #251 on: January 06, 2011, 11:08:51 pm »

Super kick ass, I wish I knew maths & code as good as you.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 07, 2011, 03:27:30 am »

Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 07, 2011, 03:41:18 am »

Jeez, I guess my poor grammar will live forever now.
Signature goes here.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 07, 2011, 05:20:26 pm »

Looks pretty. Glad to see the project moving along.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 68